Promising Juniors Thread.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Agree he might need an extra 1-2 years to size up.. hopefully we dont lose him out of the system in the meantime.. but it wont be easy.. every year there are ~2 new young fullbacks coming up from SG Ball.

Would be a cult hero if he did make it though..

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
yes hes little but his tenacity in defence and ability to break the line and set up others is incredible.. but Justa mentioned he got ragdolled a bit in the last JF game he played.

I think there is a Trai Fuller in him though.. but needs a little bit more muscle.. not sure if that will come or not...
Hope he makes it. Might need a bit of human growth hormone. I hope no one freaks out about it. It's not detrimental to one's health. Not like steroids.
Precisely. Similar in both attributes to Toovey and Langer.
If he can become a good, game managing, playmaking halfback he's every chance of making it but not as a fullback. No way.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I thought Tigers with 5 teenagers in the side did quite well. Were right in the game until the last 10min. A few soft tries against them cost them in the end.

As opposed to our "nOt REaDy YeT🤪" coach who had to be dragged, kicking and screaming to pick 20 year-old Toby Couchman while Ryan Couchman still can't get a look in. I'd also be interested to see how blokes like Tamale, Egan, Coric, Finau (both of them), went while playing next to better players. Even LKT for that matter!

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Dingo will probably come back down, I think he has another year of SGB.
We have local boy Riley Bannock good half and goal kicker.
We also signed Jasais Ah Kee from Penrith but I think he has another year of Matts

Just to add to that Lewis Sargent Wilson who played half for Dragons Daley Cup side will move up to Dragons SGB

We are also chasing another half and Cooper Hale a tall centre from Penrith.

Junior Saifiti will decide what SGB team he plays in when he moves down.

Bear in mind it's still early and a lot will change.

Under 15 development trials have started Steelers boys flogged Wests amd Eels.

Eric

Staff
Just to add to that Lewis Sargent Wilson who played half for Dragons Daley Cup side will move up to Dragons SGB

Happy for any grade to be good but isn't U15s way too early to have any confidence in anyone as far as goIng on to play NRL?

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Happy for any grade to be good but isn't U15s way too early to have any confidence in anyone as far as goIng on to play NRL?

Just about every player that players NRL was signed by 15/16 they won't all make it but we have to cast our net wide.
Lachlan Galvin was playing in these games 3 years ago.
Onitoni Large who I think is better than Glavin and is being chased by us and half a dozen clubs is 16.

Last edited:

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
was curious whether the kids had a choice between SG squads, as sometimes 1 might already have a gun hooker or fullback blocking the way etc.. but I guess SG is only a few months long... so perhaps its more about where you want to live longer-term.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
was curious whether the kids had a choice between SG squads, as sometimes 1 might already have a gun hooker or fullback blocking the way etc.. but I guess SG is only a few months long... so perhaps its more about where you want to live longer-term.

They aren't making long term decisions yet, it's more about what boarder family you get or where relatives live.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg

Thanks for the update. Nice to see the club planning for the future to the extent it is.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Tom Kirk 18yo, 196cm 100kg.
Steelers Collegians

TK is a winger who played a lot of FB thru the grades. He started the SGB season on fire scoring a heap of tries before a torn pec cut his season short.
He recently returned to the Flegg side scoring on debut.

He has been signed for 3 years starting on a train and trial contract next season.

Screenshot_20240724_201005_Instagram.jpg

DragonsTragic

SGI Jersey Flegg
Steelers Collegians

TK is a winger who played a lot of FB thru the grades. He started the SGB season on fire scoring a heap of tries before a torn pec cut his season short.

He has been signed for 3 years starting on a train and trial contract next season.

View attachment 377
About the same size as Zac?

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Well done Tom Kirk, I actually thought Lucas Borg might have been an option on the wing also while Rumble was still there, is he still in the picture?

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
Well done Tom Kirk, I actually thought Lucas Borg might have been an option on the wing also while Rumble was still there, is he still in the picture?
All 3 are so tall, Borg was playing on the wing in the Schoolboys tournament a couple of weeks back, really like him, will be interesting where they all end up eventually.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Steelers Collegians

View attachment 377
Having all these fullbacks who are about 20kg too light has been my pet peeve for a while. So I'm optimistic about Rumble, Borg and this bloke all of whom have frames they could become huge fullbacks. Though probably a bit lighter than Inglis and Mitchell is best.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg

All 3 are so tall, Borg was playing on the wing in the Schoolboys tournament a couple of weeks back, really like him, will be interesting where they all end up eventually.

Borg really didn't impress at ASSRL, at this stage they need to keep standing out at every next level.

What's the speed like for these tall outside backs? Dom Young/Saab?

TK would be tbe quickest of the lot, but at this age it's can be hard to tell. Saab was quick at 18 but he wasn't a standout.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Bugger about Borg, I rly liked him at SG level, I mean I was all about the TPH express.. but Borg was rly classy.

Kirk isnt on par with Williams for speed is he? That would be a pleasant surprise.... I remember Gus casually mentioning on his podcast months ago that the Dragons had 2 gun wingers coming through (assume he is trying to take 1), I wasn't sure if he was referring to SFinau or the younger kids.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
TK would be tbe quickest of the lot, but at this age it's can be hard to tell. Saab was quick at 18 but he wasn't a standout.
Bugger about Borg, I rly liked him at SG level, I mean I was all about the TPH express.. but Borg was rly classy.

Kirk isnt on par with Williams for speed is he? That would be a pleasant surprise.... I remember Gus casually mentioning on his podcast months ago that the Dragons had 2 gun wingers coming through (assume he is trying to take 1), I wasn't sure if he was referring to SFinau or the younger kids.
Is Williams as fast as Saab was? So he's lightening! But Saab is probably super fast over 60m but average over 20. I guess the latter is more important.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Even if they arent Saab fast.. just 'fast' would be good.. enough to pull away from your average player.. Ill never forget that Lomax break against the cowboys earlier this year, deadset 2/3 of the cowboys team chased him down and had a defensive line set.

So much more than just speed needed ofcourse.. I have to say I was really happy when Saab left, he seemed like a cat to me.. dinner plate eyes, didnt seem to like contact.. somehow the bugger is really thriving at manly, I think hes put on good weight on his tall frame.. tbf hes sitting outside one of the best attacking backlines in the comp... always get him in space.. but I cant argue that the kid has come on over the years.. still a cat though :p