Recruitment and Retention for 2024

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I heard that we have let young Herring go , that's to young halves Sully and Herring ...... Hope Kyle steps up .......
I can understand Flanno snr thinks Flanno jnr is the next immortal and possibly right up there with Reg Gasnier but someone at the club surely would have pulled him aside and told him, "we need a back up in case Kyle doesn't make it."

But as for Herring, a lot of people saying he simply isn't up to it. I'd say the same for Kyle but not good having 2 of them on the books. Pinning our hopes on King-Togia and Ashton Ward. I think they are both training with first grade even though they are both still eligible for Jersey Flegg.

Eric

Staff

Development players 2024:

• Connor Muhleisen (2024): Now or never for Connor
  • Corey Ackers (2025): Huge potential!
  • Dylan Egan (2025): As above
  • Hamish Stewart (2027): Another very talented middle forward
  • Jackson Shereb (2024): Now or never. Good luck! So far he's been underwhelming considering how big and fast he is but maybe Flanno can sort him out.
  • Josh Coric (2024): I wouldn't go so far as to say, "now or never" for him considering he was out all last season but needs to make a splash.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
..and Nick Quinn, three promising junior halves. We need to nurture them if we think they are long term Dragons.

Development players 2024:

• Connor Muhleisen (2024): Now or never for Connor
  • Corey Ackers (2025): Huge potential!
  • Dylan Egan (2025): As above
  • Hamish Stewart (2027): Another very talented middle forward
  • Jackson Shereb (2024): Now or never. Good luck! So far he's been underwhelming considering how big and fast he is but maybe Flanno can sort him out.
  • Josh Coric (2024): I wouldn't go so far as to say, "now or never" for him considering he was out all last season but needs to make a splash.
We have outstanding young outside backs and outstanding young forwards coming through ready or almost ready for first grade. Halves are the problem.

Eric

Staff
Top 17 are guaranteed, 13 others ahead of these two Coric and Sherab. Only chance to be part of Firsts outside of training, a thin one too, is as an injury replacement.
Last year and the year before we had 3 or 4 players on development deals go on to play first grade.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Promoted into the extended NRL squad in 2025
Does this mean into the Top 30 if so then we need to add Jacob Halangahu and Finau Latu, probably Loko Jr too, into that Development Squad Eric posted.

Eric

Staff
Promoted into the extended NRL squad in 2025
Does this mean into the Top 30 if so then we need to add Jacob Halangahu and Finau Latu, probably Loko Jr too, into that Development Squad Eric posted.
  • Jacob Halangahu
  • Finau Latu
  • Loko Jr
As far as I know, all 3 are on train and trail deals. Means possible they'll get promoted into the top 30 but unlikely. 2025 development contract and the year after, top 30.

There is something to be said for throwing young players into the NRL too soon.

Eric

Staff
He only got the gig after Mybe was released from memory. What contract was the older Finau brother who played hooker, on.
I think that's true as well but he was definately on a development contract. Good question re older Finau. TBH, I can't remember/don't know. But I remember the coaching staff were speaking positively about him.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
  • Jacob Halangahu
  • Finau Latu
  • Loko Jr
As far as I know, all 3 are on train and trail deals. Means possible they'll get promoted into the top 30 but unlikely. 2025 development contract and the year after, top 30.

There is something to be said for throwing young players into the NRL too soon.
I say all three into Top 30 in '25 after being given upgraded contracts. The latest Loko Jr has been extended to '26 as I believe his Junior 'Roo team mates have.