Recruitment and Retention for 2025

RedVictory

SGI Jersey Flegg
Paulo can play centre and if desperate can fill in at fullback for a game or two...
Manly have some good backs
Turbo, Hopoate, Koula/Talau, Garrick,Saab, one of them misses out if all fit, then below that you have Paulo, Faulalo, Vega.
Love to take Hopoate or Koula from the first lot and Paulo probably from the other lot.
I’d actually rate the pickup of Faulalo, he’s carved up ressies for some time now and has had buzz around his name from certain people around the lower grades. Also has a tremendous work ethic from what I know and has had to do it the hard way.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
We need 'atleast 1' more centre option in our Top30.. probably 2... Max, Tamale, Lomax & Bird are all gone.. we are an absolute strife for outside back depth...

Note: Hearing Max actually was the one who chose not to stay.. so we are probably going to end up paying more to get someone to replace him now, hopefully its someone with some pace perhaps...

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
The Fijian flyer was the Dragons' pin-up boy last season, scoring a record equalling 20 tries - a remarkable feat
I respect your opinion but sorry I have to chuckle over that description of Rava. He has never been a flyer, perhaps a pin up boy early on while most of his tries come from the good play of blokes inside of him. For instance he fed off the almost magical skills of Zac Lomax for years. What he does have is size and power. The main reason I wont shed a tear when he leaves will be HIS ABYSMAL RECORD IN DEFENSE. I'd like $100 for every time he has left his wing to miss the tackle and invited his opposite an easy run to our line.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I respect your opinion but sorry I have to chuckle over that description of Rava. He has never been a flyer or a pin up boy and most of his tries come from the good play of blokes inside of him. For instance he fed off the uncanny skills of Zac Lomax for years. What he does have is size and power. The main reason I wont shed a tear when he leaves will be HIS ABYSMAL RECORD IN DEFENSE. I'd like $100 for every time he has left his wing and invited his opposite an easy run to our line.
When he first came into first grade he went ok. Before his total inability to know when to come in or stay out was exposed.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
When he first came into first grade he went ok.
He did. Became a kinda cult hero but that soon wore off when, as you said in last part of your post. Not much between the ears Rava if in three years he was never able to ERADICATE HIS MOST ALARMING FLAW. I am still bewildered why we extended him.

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
I’d actually rate the pickup of Faulalo, he’s carved up ressies for some time now and has had buzz around his name from certain people around the lower grades. Also has a tremendous work ethic from what I know and has had to do it the hard way.
heard he is playing well, scoring tries etc, how are he's hitups etc?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Hope it's a prop from the Broncos and in regards to Wishart he certainly has stepped up when required but will he want to leave a club that has enhanced his skillset, has a great culture and will be playing semi finals football for the next few seasons. The only plus is he won't be a starter in a full strength Storm team so we're in with a chance.
Hope it's one of the fast, young outside backs.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
. maybe Flanno feels the Couchmans dont have that skillset
He dont rate the Couchies in my book. They certainly do possess ball skills, but the conundrum may be where do we play them as they are so versatile. Reckon Toby is able to play anywhere from lock to prop.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
He dont rate the Couchies in my book. They certainly do possess ball skills, but the conundrum may be where do we play them as they are so versatile. Reckon Toby is able to play anywhere from lock to prop.
Think they both are but when each puts on another 5kgs or more, think they'll be middle forwards and very good ones.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
another outside back on the slow side.
Come off the grass. Not too many outside backs can do what he did when he burnt two of their backs from a standing start in his only game. He has size, pace and some ball skills, is also an intercept expert, so knows when to leave his wing and when not to.

RedVictory

SGI Jersey Flegg
I respect your opinion but sorry I have to chuckle over that description of Rava. He has never been a flyer, perhaps a pin up boy early on while most of his tries come from the good play of blokes inside of him. For instance he fed off the almost magical skills of Zac Lomax for years. What he does have is size and power. The main reason I wont shed a tear when he leaves will be HIS ABYSMAL RECORD IN DEFENSE. I'd like $100 for every time he has left his wing to miss the tackle and invited his opposite an easy run to our line.
Just a snippet of an article, not my personal opinion.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
With Max and Bird gone.. it has to be a Manly centre we would be chasing.. not a winger..

o Brad Parker is contracted for 2025 but looks like he is retiring (unconfirmed).. even took a goalkick in his last game.
o Jaxson Paulo is a winger who has played some ctr this season.. very much on the outer.. but signed for 2 more years
o Tommy Talau signed for 2025 only.. cant see them losing him though.

Paulo seems the logical one, went into some dirty manly forums.. they say hes a 1st grader.. its just that he doesnt seem to like the hard stuff like a guy 192cm and 101kg should do.. I dont know if hes played centre before though.. other than in nsw cup this year..
Brad Parker was a centre kind of like Aitken. Maybe could pass a bit better but was a bit less able to step or jink. They also tried to turn him into a second rower but I guess it didn't work out.