Recruitment and Retention for 2025

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
Don't know shit about the Wallabies, no idea who is who, can anyone shed some light on these players.

How NRL plans to raid Wallabies stocks as Rugby Australia faces legal chaos

Also this little bit
"As it stands, any player outside the NRL top 30 squad can only earn a maximum of $85,000 per year. The total cap for NRL clubs on supplementary players is $650,000 per season, spread across six or seven players"

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Don't know shit about the Wallabies, no idea who is who, can anyone shed some light on these players.

How NRL plans to raid Wallabies stocks as Rugby Australia faces legal chaos

Also this little bit
"As it stands, any player outside the NRL top 30 squad can only earn a maximum of $85,000 per year. The total cap for NRL clubs on supplementary players is $650,000 per season, spread across six or seven players"
I don't know anything about them either but the article says several are off contract "next year". I wonder if it's early in the year or too late to make a difference for next year.

You would have to imagine some of them would go well in league.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Brent Reid really, really, really wants the Dragons to sign Clint Gutherson and wants them to pay big money and to lock him for 3 years. Be interesting to know which team he supports. Safe to say, it isn't the Dragons.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
Surely Ben Hunt won't be with us for 2025 after today's comments?

NAS cryptic insta post is either farewell to the Storm or he can't wait for 2025 with the Storm.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Surely Ben Hunt won't be with us for 2025 after today's comments?

NAS cryptic insta post is either farewell to the Storm or he can't wait for 2025 with the Storm.
The problem is, for next year, who is going to replace him? I can only think of Kyle at halfback and LKT at 5/8 but with a 19 year-old carrying the attack and getting very little help from his halves partner, I don't see anything good coming from it. For LKT or the team.

st george tragic

SGI Jersey Flegg
The problem is, for next year, who is going to replace him? I can only think of Kyle at halfback and LKT at 5/8 but with a 19 year-old carrying the attack and getting very little help from his halves partner, I don't see anything good coming from it. For LKT or the team.
You are probably correct but I can't see Hunt giving us any commitment at all next season he will just go through the motions to get through it. So why not start the rebuild early. OK may be a tough season but let flanno start rebuilding I'm sure he has some sort of plan with out hunt in it

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
You are probably correct but I can't see Hunt giving us any commitment at all next season he will just go through the motions to get through it. So why not start the rebuild early. OK may be a tough season but let flanno start rebuilding I'm sure he has some sort of plan with out hunt in it
I agree. I just think it's not good to throw LKT in the deep end. If we go with Kyle (the epitome of a journeyman) and another journeyman not wanted anywhere else to play half or 5/8, I think the wooden spoon might be coming our way. The only possibility I see is to unfortunately go with Hunt and hope he is professional enough to put in 100% for his last year.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Dean Ritchie the latest to be furiously trying to foist Gutho onto the Dragons. That is after he admitted earlier in the article he's no longer fast enough to be a good fullback and it was disrespectful for the Eels to rave about "utility player" or something when it was perfectly obvious they wanted him gone. So what position does he expect Gutho to play at the Dragons?

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Needs to be a target:

XAVIER WILLISON

It was a career year for the hulking prop, who impressed in stints off the bench and when starting in relief of Payne Haas, who had an injury-riddled season.

A product of Gold Coast’s rugby league nursery Palm Beach Currumbin, Willison appeared in 19 games this season after entering 2024 with only a handful of NRL matches under his belt.

Starting the season on the depth chart behind the likes of Fletcher Baker and Martin Taupau, Willison ended 2024 as the clear third option behind starters Haas and Corey Jensen. He averaged just 37 minutes a game, but made them count, averaging nearly 100 run metres (96).

Willison provides some X-factor as a front rower, as he is quick for his size and moves well in open space. Considering he’s on just $250,000 a year, he’s in line for a hefty pay rise, as there will be rival clubs with much less front row depth than the Broncos willing to hand him a hefty pay rise. The Rabbitohs could be one of those clubs, however Wayne Bennett has already made it clear the club’s salary cap is stretched thin.

However, South Sydney are in desperate need of depth in their middle forwards, with Tom Burgess departing and their front row stocks already running low. It looks unlikely they will make a play, but Bennett could do worse than recruit the rising star, who could also be a target of the Eels.

With Reagan Campbell-Gillard departing and Jason Ryles in the midst of a rebuild, the rookie coach could use some of his cap space to recruit another rising star. He’s already added Zac Lomax, Isaiah Iongi and Jack Williams to his side for the 2025 season.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Ben Hunt apparently said the Dragons should target Gutho to play 5/8. I think it's fair to say, Hunt is at war with Flanno and Kyle is caught in the crossfire. But it's still a bad idea. Is LKT going to wait around in Cup for another 2 or 3 years? Maybe Flanno should go all out and get Gutho and JAC and then try and get Gaz and Luke Bailey to come out or retirement.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Ben Hunt apparently said the Dragons should target Gutho to play 5/8. I think it's fair to say, Hunt is at war with Flanno and Kyle is caught in the crossfire. But it's still a bad idea. Is LKT going to wait around in Cup for another 2 or 3 years? Maybe Flanno should go all out and get Gutho and JAC and then try and get Gaz and Luke Bailey to come out or retirement.
Its a Shit show , the boys club still strong at the club all looking after each other , captain of the team still in love with Queensland and is sooking about getting shot down by Flanno ( that's coaches fault for keeping him when he wanted out ) This is all set , if coach Flanno fails this year , for D. Young to coach ........ Its coming ......... This is why the coach wont give the younger guys much game time and why he is signing experienced players to try and keep his job .......

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
The Titans seem the most likely, they have really 2 too many 6's.. but it could also be the Roosters.. anyway lets see what plays out..