Recruitment and Retention for 2025

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
If Blaize falls through (and that seems more likely as time goes on), Averillo would have to be in the frame.. he brings some speed but im not super excited about him.. not sure where we would play him.. but it is some sort of x-factor....

Holmes is the one that just seems to make all the sense in the world.. im just not sure what his or the cowboys interest is at.. but we rly cant move on anyone until we resolve this blaize thing one way or the other.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
If Blaize falls through (and that seems more likely as time goes on), Averillo would have to be in the frame.. he brings some speed but im not super excited about him.. not sure where we would play him.. but it is some sort of x-factor....

Holmes is the one that just seems to make all the sense in the world.. im just not sure what his or the cowboys interest is at.. but we rly cant move on anyone until we resolve this blaize thing one way or the other.
Holmes playing fullback for 2 years while we search for a long-term option would be a coup! Assuming Slaon is on the outer. Even if he can pull his socks up and play much better consistently, Holmes is a gun centre and winger as well.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Holmes is also struggling a bit at NRL level.. getting older.. big money.. it could be a fit for Flanno to squeeze the lemon with him for a few years.. but Blaize is first priority as a longterm 1 or a 6 or whatever.. would have 12yrs left in 1st grade.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Holmes is also struggling a bit at NRL level.. getting older.. big money.. it could be a fit for Flanno to squeeze the lemon with him for a few years.. but Blaize is first priority as a longterm 1 or a 6 or whatever.. would have 12yrs left in 1st grade.
I didn't know that. Haven't watched Cowboys play for a while but Holmes was still in the QLD Origin team, wasn't he? Didn't stand out but I can't remember him playing badly.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I didn't know that. Haven't watched Cowboys play for a while but Holmes was still in the QLD Origin team, wasn't he? Didn't stand out but I can't remember him playing badly.
I don't watch em either, but numerous commentators are talking about his defensive decisions at ctr, it's also why they moved him to wing in origin.

If he came here, we can't afford to waste him on the wing though.. Hes still better than our options.

Now that sloan is officially dropped also, we can look at fullback options.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
Holmes has been shit for the cowboys, he should've been dropped from origin too but slater made some dumb decisions this year including sticking with him. I don't want Holmes on his contract, I don't think he's got the legs to play fullback anymore.

We should be targeting the likes of Pezet and Su'a Faalogo from the Storm, both will be depth players again next year but they're too good for reserve grade.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Holmes has been shit for the cowboys, he should've been dropped from origin too but slater made some dumb decisions this year including sticking with him. I don't want Holmes on his contract, I don't think he's got the legs to play fullback anymore.

We should be targeting the likes of Pezet and Su'a Faalogo from the Storm, both will be depth players again next year but they're too good for reserve grade.
Is Pezet that former QLD U19s halfback? I saw him play for Melbourne first grade once or twice. Absolute rubbish!

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg

Not as good as he used to be but still goes ok, doesn't he? Cowboys are a teenager debuting machine. A lot of competition for spots.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Pezet and Su'a Faalogo from the Storm
Id love to but were not getting them.. we were chasing the leftovers of the leftovers prior to this season.. now we have some respect back after a big season.... and now we can just chase leftovers.. for example if papaenhausen became loose due to them keeping faalago.... hes someone that suits us.. yeah hes an injury risk.. but honestly i think we are probably in 5th or 6th spot if we had a genuine fullback in this side.. we can afford to go in for a marquee like him.

All hypotheticals at this point though.. all in contract etc.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Did you have inside info? Confirmed Holmes is on the market and Dragons are the likely destination. Still in the hunt for Talagi though he is likely to stay at Parra.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Did you have inside info? Confirmed Holmes is on the market and Dragons are the likely destination. Still in the hunt for Talagi though he is likely to stay at Parra.
Naa I have just always thought Holmes was such an obvious replacement for Lomax.. suits both clubs too.. im sure hes on the market because weve been agitating.. and youd have to assume Blaize is off.. unless were chasing both.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Naa I have just always thought Holmes was such an obvious replacement for Lomax.. suits both clubs too.. im sure hes on the market because weve been agitating.. and youd have to assume Blaize is off.. unless were chasing both.
I didn't think about but after you mentioned it, seems like a good fit for 3 years. Even if he has lost half a step of speed, still faster than Zac and can play centre, fullback or winger. And is a good goalkicker.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Yeah hes fast, a super goalkicker.. a current rep player.. hes probably a better winger than centre or fullback.. but hes better than all of the options we have here currently. As a fullback we could probably justify the money too.

But we havent landed him yet.. Flanno always tries to negotiate too.. but anyway, him + DSaifiti, and youd think were getting close to a 2025 roster...

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Yeah hes fast, a super goalkicker.. a current rep player.. hes probably a better winger than centre or fullback.. but hes better than all of the options we have here currently. As a fullback we could probably justify the money too.

But we havent landed him yet.. Flanno always tries to negotiate too.. but anyway, him + DSaifiti, and youd think were getting close to a 2025 roster...
I wouldn't pay a mil a year for him. NQ should put in around 200k.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
zero tackle says hes on 875k for 2025.. we would have to offer him a 2nd year atleast... we may have to just stump up full-freight.. I dunno if other clubs would be interested in him.. at that price I mean.. some r saying the Roosters need a centre.. true but thats a lot of cash.. u have to pay out the current contract.

Cows have that Purdue kid and im sure they would love that money back even though they would miss Holmes.. some r saying the cows are having him test his value but want to keep him.. i dunno i doubt that.. im told he has made plenty of errors at ctr this year.. and thats a big number for an outside back. Anyway.. hopefully we get him.. wherever he plays itll improve us.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
zero tackle says hes on 875k for 2025.. we would have to offer him a 2nd year atleast... we may have to just stump up full-freight.. I dunno if other clubs would be interested in him.. at that price I mean.. some r saying the Roosters need a centre.. true but thats a lot of cash.. u have to pay out the current contract.

Cows have that Purdue kid and im sure they would love that money back even though they would miss Holmes.. some r saying the cows are having him test his value but want to keep him.. i dunno i doubt that.. im told he has made plenty of errors at ctr this year.. and thats a big number for an outside back. Anyway.. hopefully we get him.. wherever he plays itll improve us.
Hopefully Cowboys pay a bit but I think it's unlikely. 875k is overs for Holmes at this stage of his career but will probably have to grin and bear it because we really need him.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Zac is gone, I think Blocka will be out on the market any day now. Eisenhuth won't be re-signed. So there should be plenty of money for Holmes.
But we still have a halves problem. Today Cleary and Luai gave Hunt and Flanagan an old-fashioned bath.
Recruitment of quality players like Holmes would also make it easier to recruit others like Talagi. BTW is his name, Talangi, Talagi or Talagai? Regardless, it cold be a backline of:
  1. Sloan. A much tougher, more consistent version of him.
  2. Holmes
  3. Suli
  4. Feagai. He was quiet today but I think he goes ok as a centre. Too slow to be a good winger.
  5. A junior. Rumble or Borg or Captain Kirk.
  6. Talagi
  7. Hunt
This fixes the problem of the old and slow backline. 4 genuine speedsters and 4 young blokes out of the 7.

It's a top 4 backline!