Round 12: St George Illawarra v Sydney Roosters

Eric

Staff
Have to be realistic.
Sloan, nice kick at the end, very bad game otherwise.
Sullivan, not a hooker.
Amone, nice break at the end of the first half but very bad game otherwise.
Feagai, nice pickup to score at the end but very bad game otherwise.
Josh Kerr............ big, mobile but won't run into the defence. He needs to go.
BMM can only play limited minutes.
Enjoy the win. Deal with that other stuff come Monday.(y)

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Nice kick at the end, shocker otherwise. He just won't run the ball. Coach much have told him, "run the ball" but he won't.
I saw him field two bombs. Cant run it without the leather. I wanna know why Liddle seemed reluctant to take on their markers in the first 40. He'd not have made more than 50m, when he had been ripping em for 100 in his early games before that nong Griffin dropped him.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Only three forwards topped the 100m, Jack was one, no surprise, topped the tackle count yet again and sparked our attack too with his link work.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Only three forwards topped the 100m, Jack was one, no surprise, topped the tackle count yet again and sparked out attack too.
Jack, Su'a and .......? And BMM because he made that 30m run late in the game? I think he was also put away for a 20m run in the first half.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Good game. Lucky to get away with it. The thing with Radley shows the implicit bias of refs for some teams. If a Dragons player did that, he'd at least be binned. If he did it against Brisbane, Melbourne, Souths or Roosters, he'd probably get sent off.

And the Brown high tackle was worth at least a binning as well.

DragonsTragic

SGI Jersey Flegg
We played a great 1st half and should never have let them back in the game. Lack of game management and players going missing when we need them to step up to protect a lead, but what's most important is to get that winning feeling back.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
This illustrates to me as a broken old retired 2nd grade coach and player that if we are all singing the praises of JDB being our best forward at prop when he has always been the best lock that we urgently need to attract 2 big bodied bookends who can consistently make the advantage line before we can even consider playing semi finals football again. Those players tonight showed character under adversity to win that game in the dying seconds but it wasn't the prettiest win but a dirty win which you have to win during a season. We won't be playing semi finals football again this season but on the positive side we won't be receiving our first joint venture wooden spoon. The big problem is our lack of size and go forward in the engine room. I'm savouring the win with a bottle or two of some French sparkling wine as I board my 7 night cruise in Marseille

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
This illustrates to me as a broken old retired 2nd grade coach and player that if we are all singing the praises of JDB being our best forward at prop when he has always been the best lock that we urgently need to attract 2 big bodied bookends who can consistently make the advantage line before we can even consider playing semi finals football again. Those players tonight showed character under adversity to win that game in the dying seconds but it wasn't the prettiest win but a dirty win which you have to win during a season. We won't be playing semi finals football again this season but on the positive side we won't be receiving our first joint venture wooden spoon. The big problem is our lack of size and go forward in the engine room. I'm savouring the win with a bottle or two of some French sparkling wine as I board my 7 night cruise in Marseille
I think Couchman also helped JDB out in the middle. I haven't looked at the stats but seemed he never took a backward step. BMM just isn't an edge backrower. He needs to be in the middle playing limited minutes. Josh Kerr......... Well everyone has been saying he needs to go for over a month. After last night, he needs to go. He runs up and then just stops a metre before reaching the opposition defence.

We also need to discuss:
  • Amone
  • Sloan
  • Feagai (I know the ball just wasn't going Feagai's way but he can surely go looking for it more.)
And if he's going to come on as a hooker rather than halfback or 5/8, I'd prefer Mybe to Sullivan. Maybe there is a simple fix. Sullivan to 5/8, Amone on the bench.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I think Couchman also helped JDB out in the middle. I haven't looked at the stats but seemed he never took a backward step. BMM just isn't an edge backrower. He needs to be in the middle playing limited minutes. Josh Kerr......... Well everyone has been saying he needs to go for over a month. After last night, he needs to go. He runs up and then just stops a metre before reaching the opposition defence.

We also need to discuss:
  • Amone
  • Sloan
  • Feagai (I know the ball just wasn't going Feagai's way but he can surely go looking for it more.)
And if he's going to come on as a hooker rather than halfback or 5/8, I'd prefer Mybe to Sullivan. Maybe there is a simple fix. Sullivan to 5/8, Amone on the bench.
Been a while since we could celebrate a victory. But want more of it so it feels normal, not special. So it's important to point out the negatives along with the positives. One negative is media organisations again talking about how good Ben Hunt was but no mention at all about JDB. I know middle forwards typically don't many accolades but the way JDB never gets any is weird.

Eric

Staff
Sloan ran for 35m, post contact metres, -6.
Tedesco ran for 175m, post contact, 51
What to do with him? Of course he gets driven back if he won't run into the defence. Of course he can't show his attacking skills if he won't run the ball.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
From and old coaches perspective. When a new coach takes over a team especially mid season the very 1st game there is no need to rev anyone up as players want to prove their worth to the new coach, the majority are on a high, they want to prove their worth. Rule of thumb for me was I would expect to see an improvement from all players and I'd assess that over the next 3 - 6 games. Now based upon our effort yesterday purely on that performance. 3 pts Hunt, 2 pts JDB and 1 pt Suli/Sua. Sloan gone to reserves, Lawrie off the bench but will be out now so the dilemma is you have no choice but to start your clubs best lock at prop JDB, MM off the bench on as a prop, F Molo will most probably start at prop, 2nd rowers Su'a who was outstanding yesterday and Couchman starts, I'd say Bird will start at lock. The team played to their current ultimate standard, I expected a 4 point win, we won by 2 points. So moving forward for this season with what we have in reserves start blooding young forwards, Fifita, Hunt as props fullback is an issue now that Sloan is not going to run the ball back and refuses to get involved albeit he was there and won the game with his intuition kicking the ball, so knowing the club the only changes you will see next week will be Bird back and a new starting prop possibly even Musgrove. The team showed character out there last night played to their ability and mindset so no semi finals football again this season but something the new permanent coach can build on. I just pray the board don't fall for the old 3 card trick and pick our next coach based on social media opinion. No ex players no untested rookie coaches. Just my thoughts

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Nope Kerr. Second week in a row. Now he is leaving he is finally playing like a first grader.
BMM should be booted, clogs up our back line far too often. Mind boggling how both Griffin and now Carr give him full minutes.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Of course he can't show his attacking skills if he won't run the ball.
Like I said you have to be given it to run it.. he barely touched it. There is one constant with this, when Sloan, Amone have quiet ones it is usually when Hunt is at half and we have a a reluctant dummy half. Liddle ran 27 miserable metres, an off day and it killed our go forward. Sully also unseen.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Is Lawrie injured?

Carr needs to experiment a bit now our season is probably done and dusted. Get funky, try blokes in other positions, promote a couple of Ressie outside backs.
no need to rev anyone up as players want to prove their worth to the new coach,
We played our first 40 on pure adrenaline, was a joy to watch the way we dominated the Chooks. Been a while. Then when out fitness flagged our discipline went out the window and as we often do we let our opposition back into the contest.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Have to be realistic.
Sloan, nice kick at the end, very bad game otherwise.
Sullivan, not a hooker.
Amone, nice break at the end of the first half but very bad game otherwise.
Feagai, nice pickup to score at the end but very bad game otherwise.
Josh Kerr............ big, mobile but won't run into the defence. He needs to go.
BMM can only play limited minutes.
It's great to get the win , but realistically we were 10 seconds off loosing 7 in a row ...... Hunt is a good individual player , but not a genuine number 7 , he struggles big time to close out a game ...... Anyway like I said good to win ......

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Is Lawrie injured?

Carr needs to experiment a bit now our season is probably done and dusted. Get funky, try blokes in other positions, promote a couple of Ressie outside backs.

We played our first 40 on pure adrenaline, was a joy to watch the way we dominated the Chooks. Been a while. Then when out fitness flagged our discipline went out the window and as we often do we let our opposition back into the contest.
Agree they were pumped but you could see the fatigue I have no idea who our fitness guru is but he needs to go