Round 12: St George Illawarra v Sydney Roosters

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Sloan ran for 35m, post contact metres, -6.
Tedesco ran for 175m, post contact, 51
I'm watching the Wests-NQ game. Just wanted to mention that their young fullback isn't much, if any bigger than Sloan but he runs and runs and runs. Looks like a star in the making. Sloan looks like a good player in the ESL.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Agree they were pumped but you could see the fatigue I have no idea who our fitness guru is but he needs to go
Was thinking the same thing during the game. Some players just can't play long minutes no matter how much they train. Looks like Hook recruited a whole forward pack of them.

Eric

Staff
From and old coaches perspective. When a new coach takes over a team especially mid season the very 1st game there is no need to rev anyone up as players want to prove their worth to the new coach, the majority are on a high, they want to prove their worth. Rule of thumb for me was I would expect to see an improvement from all players and I'd assess that over the next 3 - 6 games. Now based upon our effort yesterday purely on that performance. 3 pts Hunt, 2 pts JDB and 1 pt Suli/Sua. Sloan gone to reserves, Lawrie off the bench but will be out now so the dilemma is you have no choice but to start your clubs best lock at prop JDB, MM off the bench on as a prop, F Molo will most probably start at prop, 2nd rowers Su'a who was outstanding yesterday and Couchman starts, I'd say Bird will start at lock. The team played to their current ultimate standard, I expected a 4 point win, we won by 2 points. So moving forward for this season with what we have in reserves start blooding young forwards, Fifita, Hunt as props fullback is an issue now that Sloan is not going to run the ball back and refuses to get involved albeit he was there and won the game with his intuition kicking the ball, so knowing the club the only changes you will see next week will be Bird back and a new starting prop possibly even Musgrove. The team showed character out there last night played to their ability and mindset so no semi finals football again this season but something the new permanent coach can build on. I just pray the board don't fall for the old 3 card trick and pick our next coach based on social media opinion. No ex players no untested rookie coaches. Just my thoughts
I'm watching the Wests-NQ game. Just wanted to mention that their young fullback isn't much, if any bigger than Sloan but he runs and runs and runs. Looks like a star in the making. Sloan looks like a good player in the ESL.
It's such a shame but honestly, at this point I don't see any alternative to dropping Sloan and not offering him a new contract. All he does by jogging back into the defence, if not walking, is ensure he gets smashed and pushed back. I've never heard of negative post contract metres before. Not even Dufty who we (Dragons fans) used to justifiably roast for his kick returns.

And now it's gotten so bad, he won't even run the ball when attacking the opposition try line.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I'd like to know why the Dragons didn't make a play for Klemmar and/or Bateman. Instead we took 3 players Wests Tigers no longer wanted so they could buy Klemmar and Bateman.

Eric

Staff
There's plenty to unpack from that. Especially Sloan. I agree he needs a spell in reserve grade. Right now I can only express relief. Lets all get behind Gold Coast tomorrow or after 12 rounds, we will be on the bottom of the ladder!

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
There's plenty to unpack from that. Especially Sloan. I agree he needs a spell in reserve grade. Right now I can only express relief. Lets all get behind Gold Coast tomorrow or after 12 rounds, we will be on the bottom of the ladder!
GC won't beat the the Bulldogs the incentive is too big for them.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
GC won't beat the the Bulldogs the incentive is too big for them.
Either way is ok. Dragons are at rock bottom now. Like Tigers when they sacked McGuire. Tigers have done the right thing.
  1. Get rid of dead wood.
  2. Promote promising young players.
  3. Recruit a few old, proven professional winners.
  4. Appoint a coach with a proven record of success.
i.e. everything the Dragons haven't done.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
When FO appointed Carr they said there would be some recruitment this season. So what if our new head coach does not like the chosen ones, immediately there is a conflict of interest. Is Brown our new R&R boss?

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Radley is looking at a lengthy spell after that headbutt. Should have more added for his choke hold on Lomax. Good riddance, turned his back on his birth country.
It's just about money. Not as if he was ever going to get selected for NSW or Australia. JDB is 10x the player.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Coach much have told him, "run the ball" but he won't.
YOU GUYS ARE MISSING THE CRUX OF THE PROBLEM, WITHOUT GO FORWARD SLOAN'S RUNNING GAME IS NEGATED. WE SAW HOW HE COMES ALIVE WHEN THE DUMMY HALF AND HALF ARE TAKING THE TEAM FORWARD. HE SHOWED THAT ON ANZAC DAY AND PRIOR TO LIDDLES BANISHMENT. LIDDLE WENT MISSING IN ATTACK YESTERDAY, 27MS HE RAN, WHILE HUNT RARELY MOVED THE BALL WIDE. THEN OTHER THAN JACK, OUR FORWARDS GROUND TO A HALT AS THEIR FITNESS GAVE OUT.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Either way is ok. Dragons are at rock bottom now. Like Tigers when they sacked McGuire. Tigers have done the right thing.
  1. Get rid of dead wood.
  2. Promote promising young players.
  3. Recruit a few old, proven professional winners.
  4. Appoint a coach with a proven record of success.
i.e. everything the Dragons haven't done.
Griffin recruited the dead wood.