RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I've been pretty consistent. Team should be firing come round 1 next year. That doesn't mean win every game but by the mid way point of next season, the team should be entrenched in the top 8 or no extension for Hook. NSW Cup and Flegg should be going well, as well. They are already doing pretty well so that shouldn't be an issue.
None of this would be an issue if the someone in the coaching staff would explain a few things!
  1. Why is McCullough continuing to be picked and Muhleisen continues to play well in reserve grade?
    If the coaching staff doesn't think Muhleisen is up to first grade yet, that's fine but from the outside looking in, it looks like he is picking McCullough simply because he is a coach favourite.
  2. As they said on Fox Sports several weeks ago, there is a reason no other clubs wanted Woods, Burgess, Mbye. The other clubs have been proven right. So who was responsible for signing them and at shouldn't be pay a price for such abject failure?
  3. Coach keeps talking about the young players coming through who are signed long-term. That's good. Who are they? Coric and Shereb? If they can't make it in the NSW Cup this year, unlikely to make it in the NRL next year. Does that mean he is going to sign a few more old Broncos in the meantime?

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
None of this would be an issue if the someone in the coaching staff would explain a few things!
  1. Why is McCullough continuing to be picked and Muhleisen continues to play well in reserve grade?
    If the coaching staff doesn't think Muhleisen is up to first grade yet, that's fine but from the outside looking in, it looks like he is picking McCullough simply because he is a coach favourite.
  2. As they said on Fox Sports several weeks ago, there is a reason no other clubs wanted Woods, Burgess, Mbye. The other clubs have been proven right. So who was responsible for signing them and at shouldn't be pay a price for such abject failure?
  3. Coach keeps talking about the young players coming through who are signed long-term. That's good. Who are they? Coric and Shereb? If they can't make it in the NSW Cup this year, unlikely to make it in the NRL next year. Does that mean he is going to sign a few more old Broncos in the meantime?
Nothing would do more for team unity than the coaching staff openly writing off the ability of several players in the team.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Nothing would do more for team unity than the coaching staff openly writing off the ability of several players in the team.
Slow down a little there! Isn't there anything in between, "the following recruits are no longer up to first grade standard, if they ever were" and saying nothing at all? I'm a little busy today but if someone from the club wants me to draft some kind of diplomatic statement, I can do it. No names mentioned. Just a general acknowledgement there have been mistakes in recruitment but the club is doing ********, ******** and ********* to move forward.

Eric

Staff
Slow down a little there! Isn't there anything in between, "the following recruits are no longer up to first grade standard, if they ever were" and saying nothing at all? I'm a little busy today but if someone from the club wants me to draft some kind of diplomatic statement, I can do it. No names mentioned. Just a general acknowledgement there have been mistakes in recruitment but the club is doing ********, ******** and ********* to move forward.
That's true. There is middle ground.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
As for today's game, I said around 10 days ago, they have a young pack, full of running. Eric Eric mentioned we have aging journeymen against them. This could be bad even if they don't play their Origin reps.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
As for today's game, I said around 10 days ago, they have a young pack, full of running. Eric Eric mentioned we have aging journeymen against them. This could be bad even if they don't play their Origin reps.
Agreed. Just saying it isn't Hook's fault........ Yet. But by this time next year by this stage we need to see green shoots springing up everywhere.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I said Moga wouldn't let us down and he didn't 1 game 1 try he deserves his spot. If I've said it once I've said it 100 times anytime you see Lawrie pencilled in as your starting prop we will struggle early on. Sims won't play his miss on Cherry Evans was an awful defensive read. McGuire straight back in will add some mongrel to the pack but Taumalolo is back to his best will straight over the top of Mbye and Lawrie. If Sua is over his injury then he should at the very least come off the bench if not start. I'd be surprised if the Cowboys don't rest their SOO players which should give us half a chance.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I said Moga wouldn't let us down and he didn't 1 game 1 try he deserves his spot. If I've said it once I've said it 100 times anytime you see Lawrie pencilled in as your starting prop we will struggle early on. Sims won't play his miss on Cherry Evans was an awful defensive read. McGuire straight back in will add some mongrel to the pack but Taumalolo is back to his best will straight over the top of Mbye and Lawrie. If Sua is over his injury then he should at the very least come off the bench if not start. I'd be surprised if the Cowboys don't rest their SOO players which should give us half a chance.
I've agreed with this time and time again. Why can't the coach figure it out?

Eric

Staff

COWBOYS MAKE A CALL ON ORIGIN STARS

Valentine Holmes will back up his Origin heroics by making his 150th NRL appearance for the Cowboys in Friday night’s clash with the Dragons. The Cowboys have won seven of their past eight games and have crucial games against the Dragons, Manly and Brisbane before a bye.

Holmes will be the only North Queensland player to back up less than 48 hours after the Maroons’ thrilling Origin I victory against NSW on Wednesday night. Cowboys coach Todd Payten has opted to rest lock Reuben Cotter following his 80-minute effort against the Blues while fellow debutant Jeremiah Nanai will rest his sore ankle. But Holmes will run out at Queensland Country Bank Stadium for his milestone game on the back of a stunning Origin performance.

Holmes was one of Queensland’s best at Accor Stadium, shifting to the wing midway through the game and finishing with a try and 16 runs for 118m to go with a number of big defensive plays. Payten said Holmes was desperate to play his 150th NRL game on home soil and would be a welcome addition as the Cowboys look to solidify their top four spot.

“He told me through the week that he wanted to play and he said the same thing this morning,” Payten said. “I had intentions of playing them (Queensland players). “It’s a good message (they want to back up). Players hold it as a badge of honour to do a good job for their clubs after playing Origin.

“My job is to look at the bigger picture, what’s best for the individual and the team. All that will be taken into consideration.” Five-eighth Tom Dearden is expected to return to the side after missing out on a spot in Queensland’s 17.

The short turnaround into Friday night’s clash between St George Illawarra and the Cowboys will have a slew of players racing the clock.

Dragons duo Ben Hunt and Tariq Sims will fly up to Townsville on Thursday morning to join the squad but won’t arrive in time for the side’s captain’s run. Jayden Sullivan is an option for Hunt, while Josh McGuire and Jaydn Su’A are options for Sims.

Personally I don't think this is an issue. It's in the forwards we'll have trouble. Again!

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

COWBOYS MAKE A CALL ON ORIGIN STARS

Valentine Holmes will back up his Origin heroics by making his 150th NRL appearance for the Cowboys in Friday night’s clash with the Dragons. The Cowboys have won seven of their past eight games and have crucial games against the Dragons, Manly and Brisbane before a bye.

Holmes will be the only North Queensland player to back up less than 48 hours after the Maroons’ thrilling Origin I victory against NSW on Wednesday night. Cowboys coach Todd Payten has opted to rest lock Reuben Cotter following his 80-minute effort against the Blues while fellow debutant Jeremiah Nanai will rest his sore ankle. But Holmes will run out at Queensland Country Bank Stadium for his milestone game on the back of a stunning Origin performance.

Holmes was one of Queensland’s best at Accor Stadium, shifting to the wing midway through the game and finishing with a try and 16 runs for 118m to go with a number of big defensive plays. Payten said Holmes was desperate to play his 150th NRL game on home soil and would be a welcome addition as the Cowboys look to solidify their top four spot.

“He told me through the week that he wanted to play and he said the same thing this morning,” Payten said. “I had intentions of playing them (Queensland players). “It’s a good message (they want to back up). Players hold it as a badge of honour to do a good job for their clubs after playing Origin.

“My job is to look at the bigger picture, what’s best for the individual and the team. All that will be taken into consideration.” Five-eighth Tom Dearden is expected to return to the side after missing out on a spot in Queensland’s 17.

The short turnaround into Friday night’s clash between St George Illawarra and the Cowboys will have a slew of players racing the clock.

Dragons duo Ben Hunt and Tariq Sims will fly up to Townsville on Thursday morning to join the squad but won’t arrive in time for the side’s captain’s run. Jayden Sullivan is an option for Hunt, while Josh McGuire and Jaydn Su’A are options for Sims.

Personally I don't think this is an issue. It's in the forwards we'll have trouble. Again!
Live game chat or are you going to move this thread?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Surprisingly Holmes playing however the big plus for us is that 2 talented forwards Ninai and Cotter won't be playing. Also another plus for us is that Sims isn't playing. We are a fair chance if we can hold McLean,Gilbert and Taumaolo in check. I wish Lawrie wasn't starting Molo or Woods would be a better option perhaps a last minute change is on the cards

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Surprisingly Holmes playing however the big plus for us is that 2 talented forwards Ninai and Cotter won't be playing. Also another plus for us is that Sims isn't playing. We are a fair chance if we can hold McLean,Gilbert and Taumaolo in check. I wish Lawrie wasn't starting Molo or Woods would be a better option perhaps a late change is on the cards

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Surprisingly Holmes playing however the big plus for us is that 2 talented forwards Ninai and Cotter won't be playing. Also another plus for us is that Sims isn't playing. We are a fair chance if we can hold McLean,Gilbert and Taumaolo in check. I wish Lawrie wasn't starting Molo or Woods would be a better option perhaps a last minute change is on the cards
Cotter is a hard worker. Every (good) team needs one but he wouldn't have struck fear into the Dragons pack. Nanai on the other hand is a very serious second rower.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Cotter is a hard worker. Every (good) team needs one but he wouldn't have struck fear into the Dragons pack. Nanai on the other hand is a very serious second rower.
You are a hard marker Cotter for his size is in my opinion outstanding. Nanai just as good both being out means we are half a chance although the pundits believe we are no hope.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
You are a hard marker Cotter for his size is in my opinion outstanding. Nanai just as good both being out means we are half a chance although the pundits believe we are no hope.
Like Jackson Ford, for his size he is outstanding. He just doesn't have enough size to be a star.