RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I'd like to say one more final thing about last night. Let's call it a final final thing.

We all know Cowboys struggled badly last year. If my memory serves, it was only a few wins late in the season that they avoided the spoon. Josh McGuire was struggling and couldn't make it into the team. So what in the hell was Griffin thinking bringing him to the Dragons???

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Well that was a disaster. Looks like we lacked possession again thru mistakes and lack creativity in the middle. Griffin unable to instill consistency into this side. Needs to go. Get Bird off the edge and in the middle to play like a real backrower or dump him. His wide defense is as woeful as Hunts. Will now subject myself to some hurt by watching the match in full.
How about a player rating?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Suli 7
Hunt 7
Ramsay 6
Reuben 6
Woods 6
Sua 6
Lawrie 5
Lomax 5
JDB 5
Moga 4
Bird 4
Molo 4
Amone 4
Mbye 3
Mcguire 3
McCullough 3
Molo 3

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Suli 7
Hunt 7
Ramsay 6
Reuben 6
Woods 6
Sua 6
Lawrie 5
Lomax 5
JDB 5
Moga 4
Bird 4
Molo 4
Amone 4
Mbye 3
Mcguire 3
McCullough 3
Molo 3
I know it's Saturday and a nice day, early afternoon. Great day for a BBQ and some beers. I say because you gave Lomax a "5", same as de Belin so I think you might be drunk. Lomax had an absolute shocker.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I know it's Saturday and a nice day, early afternoon. Great day for a BBQ and some beers. I say because you gave Lomax a "5", same as de Belin so I think you might be drunk. Lomax had an absolute shocker.
Lomax made some horrible mistakes however in saying that he kept trying he made 10 runs for 143m 51 post contact mtrs 3 tackle busts made 23 tackles missed 3 that's good enough for a 5 in my humble opinion.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Lomax made some horrible mistakes however in saying that he kept trying he made 10 runs for 143m 51 post contact mtrs 3 tackle busts made 23 tackles missed 3 that's good enough for a 5 in my humble opinion.
The mistakes were horrendous. The flick pass, the grubber for himself and subsequent knock on, the pass into row 3 and then blaming the winger.

Eric

Staff
Management and coaching . I say this because well before the season kicks off both get together. The coach has a wish list, management have the money. The goals are set by both it would appear neither has worked in the last few years
If you have time, there's a thread here that needs your attention.

What does the next 5 years have in store and how, or what can the club do to ensure we have regained our rightful position as a premier club?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The mistakes were horrendous. The flick pass, the grubber for himself and subsequent knock on, the pass into row 3 and then blaming the winger.
He loses a point for ranting at Moga when it was 100% Zac's fault. Moga was in the right position. Perfectly positioned. The pass was a shocker.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Agree we all make mistakes and I did say in another post if I was his coach he would be dropped and asked to go home and have a long hard look in the mirror

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Agree we all make mistakes and I did say in another post if I was his coach he would be dropped and asked to go home and have a long hard look in the mirror
That's true but some mistakes are worse and come at greater frequency than others. Unfortunately for Lomax and the team, this year his mistakes come at increasingly greater frequency and are getting worse.

Eric

Staff

‘THE GIFTED ONE’ NEEDS A REALITY CHECK

When Zac Lomax entered the top grade in 2018 Brad Fittler labelled him “the gifted one”. Four years down the track it looks pretty obvious the constant praise hasn’t done the now 22-year-old any favours.

No one questions Lomax’s talent. But it’s also no surprise he doesn’t even get a look in when names are being tossed up for possible call-up into Freddy’s Origin team. You just had to watch the St George Illawarra centre’s mistake-riddled performance against the Cowboys to see why.

Whether it’s this compulsion to continually go for the no-look pass, or blaming a teammate for his own mistake (after he gave it to Tautau Moga), Lomax just always wants to go for the trick shot and to hell with the consequences.

As Michael Ennis said on Fox: “At some point Anthony Griffin needs to get Zac Lomax into his office and have a real good chat to him.” That was the Dragons’ eighth straight loss against a top four opponent. It again highlights how far off they are when it comes to competing with the genuine contenders.

Legitimate criticism.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

‘THE GIFTED ONE’ NEEDS A REALITY CHECK

When Zac Lomax entered the top grade in 2018 Brad Fittler labelled him “the gifted one”. Four years down the track it looks pretty obvious the constant praise hasn’t done the now 22-year-old any favours.

No one questions Lomax’s talent. But it’s also no surprise he doesn’t even get a look in when names are being tossed up for possible call-up into Freddy’s Origin team. You just had to watch the St George Illawarra centre’s mistake-riddled performance against the Cowboys to see why.

Whether it’s this compulsion to continually go for the no-look pass, or blaming a teammate for his own mistake (after he gave it to Tautau Moga), Lomax just always wants to go for the trick shot and to hell with the consequences.

As Michael Ennis said on Fox: “At some point Anthony Griffin needs to get Zac Lomax into his office and have a real good chat to him.” That was the Dragons’ eighth straight loss against a top four opponent. It again highlights how far off they are when it comes to competing with the genuine contenders.

Legitimate criticism.
100%, whether he thinks he has to do it or its subconsciously he tries too hard to put on a special play everytime he touches the ball. If I was coaching him I would be advising him to get back to basics. He is good enough to be a game changer but not on every play. He needs to show better judgement and in the future hopefully he will be able to reach his much vaunted potential.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
100%, whether he thinks he has to do it or its subconsciously he tries too hard to put on a special play everytime he touches the ball. If I was coaching him I would be advising him to get back to basics. He is good enough to be a game changer but not on every play. He needs to show better judgement and in the future hopefully he will be able to reach his much vaunted potential.
There is a line of thought, all the backs are being asked to do too much because the forwards don't get them in good field position often enough.

But not an excuse for some of Lomax' hair-brained options.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
There is a line of thought, all the backs are being asked to do too much because the forwards don't get them in good field position often enough.

But not an excuse for some of Lomax' hair-brained options.
Don't buy that one. Dragons backs have been way better than the forwards but compared to the top teams, still just average at best.

Eric

Staff
According to the stats that appears to be true we desperately need 2 go forward props
Seems to me, JDB and Su'A are the only NRL standard forwards. Lawrie might go well if he starts on the bench due to his big motor but almost total lack of go forward in his first stint when he starts. Not sure what to do about Bird. He needs to learn how to come on as hooker to give Muhleisen a 10~15min rest and then be a utility.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Seems to me, JDB and Su'A are the only NRL standard forwards. Lawrie might go well if he starts on the bench due to his big motor but almost total lack of go forward in his first stint when he starts. Not sure what to do about Bird. He needs to learn how to come on as hooker to give Muhleisen a 10~15min rest and then be a utility.
Should never have resigned Bird money wasted unless he improves dramatically