Round 23: St George Illawarra vs Parramatta Eels

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Tale of the tape we did try but fell short, only 1 forward Lawrie cracked the 100m plus with young Couchman next on 96m. So to stay in the game with those kind of stat's was pretty impressive. We missed 44 tackles, they targeted Liddle in the middle he made 41 but missed 9, young Russell made 48 tackles excellent. Our completion rate was very poor 72% to Parramatta 83%, can't hold onto the lead because we couldn't hold the ball. 12 errors, penalty count 6-2 against us. Just ill discipline and in the last 20 minutes fatigue got the best of us. Got to be fit enough to play the full 80 min

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Lawrie played significant minutes with F Molo out from the first minute. BMM was better value in the middle than the edge, but need to see both Couchmans in the team. We just didn't regroup after the no try.
Agree 100%. Why can't coaching staff see it?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Lawrie played significant minutes with F Molo out from the first minute. BMM was better value in the middle than the edge, but need to see both Couchmans in the team. We just didn't regroup after the no try.
Some of you blokes have bashed Lawrie in the past. For mine he is the most consistent metre eater we have, puts in 100% every match, never shirks the ruff stuff in the cauldron despite lacking the massive kilos of other bookends. Betting we wont see that beer gut next season either Blocka, once Dan Lawson gets into you, be replaced by muscle.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
Some of you blokes have bashed Lawrie in the past.for mine he is the most consistent metre eater we have. Puts in 100% every match and never shirks the ruff stuff. Betting we wont see that beer gut next season once Dan Lawson gets into him, be replaced by muscle.
I always get a baking after Blake has a good game. Thankfully those games are becoming the norm rather than an exception.

He, JDB, Couchman's have all the characteristics of an outstanding middle rotation for next year. Just my views.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Let's be brutally honest here. The teams mental dynamics have changed since Carr took over. They are playing to the best of their collective abilities. All season we have mentioned their physical appearance with the jersey that was introduced a few years ago to assist the player in not being grabbed by the jersey makes it more difficult for the tackler. The downside is that there is no hiding any extra pounds being carried. That comes down to your high performance and nutrition teams. All seasons we on the whole have been competing for about 60 to 65 min. We lost our prop yesterday in the first minute. There was no replacement prop on the bench. There was always that uneasy feeling that we could get run down the game changer was that Guthersen strip if the ball bounce our way it would have been 26-10 but according to people far more experienced than me it was a loose carry. To me he played at the ball but history has been written. Perhaps our game management could have been better and we could have got away with that one. My experience in this game is when your having a losing season unfortunately your luck also abandons you. I don't think fitness will be an issue next season. As I mentioned in 2021 I honestly believe that we will have a competitive top 8 team in 2025, hang in there lads.
PS Perhaps by then someone else will win the tipping comp, but I'm not so confident about that prediction 😉

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Let's be brutally honest here. The teams mental dynamics have changed since Carr took over. They are playing to the best of their collective abilities. All season we have mentioned their physical appearance with the jersey that was introduced a few years ago to assist the player in not being grabbed by the jersey makes it more difficult for the tackler. The downside is that there is no hiding any extra pounds being carried. That comes down to your high performance and nutrition teams. All seasons we on the whole have been competing for about 60 to 65 min. We lost our prop yesterday in the first minute. There was no replacement prop on the bench. There was always that uneasy feeling that we could get run down the game changer was that Guthersen strip if the ball bounce our way it would have been 26-10 but according to people far more experienced than me it was a loose carry. To me he played at the ball but history has been written. Perhaps our game management could have been better and we could have got away with that one. My experience in this game is when your having a losing season unfortunately your luck also abandons you. I don't think fitness will be an issue next season. As I mentioned in 2021 I honestly believe that we will have a competitive top 8 team in 2025, hang in there lads.
PS Perhaps by then someone else will win the tipping comp, but I'm not so confident about that prediction 😉
Not that they are far more experienced than you. Just that they didn't want Parramatta to lose. It was the most obvious strip I've seen. But fitness is a problem across all the grades.

Red T

SGI Junior League
What about the no try when Gutho stripped out the ball ! What a joke ! Then the penalty for offside to totally flip the momentum ! Why were the commentators saying loose carry ? Only Blocker Roach said he had his hand on the ball. Dragons clearly the better team but you can’t beat the ref.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
But fitness is a problem across all the grades.
SURE IS. ONLY HAVE TO SEE THE WAY WE HAVE CAPITULATED IN THE LATTER STAGES OF SO MANY GAMES. FLEGG HAS SHOWN IT IS OUR FITTEST GRADE AS THEY STILL HAVE A CHANCE FOR A FINALS BERTH.
Unknown Aaron Hertsch was our Flegg coach this season.

Last edited:

Red T

SGI Junior League
Guth the stripper !!! Someone didn’t want Parra to lose. Hunt is very passive as a captain. Did he complain about the no try and lack of penalties ? As a Queenslander should have said something like, “That wasn’t a strip, aye.”

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Their first two tries were so soft with little or no sliding defense. Also our defensive line is not going up as one, with some blokes breaking early then missing their man and creating holes. These defensive flaws must be fixed going forward.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Guth the stripper !!! Someone didn’t want Parra to lose. Hunt is very passive as a captain. Did he complain about the no try and lack of penalties ? As a Queenslander should have said something like, “That wasn’t a strip, aye.”
That was an absolutely flagrant strip!!!

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Their first two tries were so soft with little or no sliding defense. Also our defensive line is not going up as one, with some blokes breaking early then missing their man and creating holes. These defensive flaws must be fixed going forward.
First two were good backline movements taking advantage of our stupid wingers. The third was a real head-scratcher. Rava was standing right next to Lomax. Like, they were rubbing shoulders leaving their winger unmarked. Why? Zac's an excellent one on one defender and was marking his opposite. Had the situation completely under control. Why wasn't Rava standing 3~4 metres outside Zac?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Ball skills of Sloan were on full show today, looks a natural when he slots into first or second receiver. Take note Flanagan. Neat work by Hunt to put Rava into the clear just before oranges too.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Amone does not quite have his running game in order. Seems a bit mixed up between taking on the line and organising a play.When he had those four try assists, then two the next game, he went to the line, held up the ball, then passed.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Junior came alive setting up our fourth with a neat hand off to Zac. Rava scores most of his tries by brute force not pace. Pity we could not go on with it after that, leading by 10 with all the momentum.