Round 7 St George Illawarra vs Canberra

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Blocker goes good but tell the last time you seen him break the line he's running at
He doesn't, in 6 games he has made 2 line breaks but he is invaluable to a coach because he is a workhorse that every pack needs. In fact name any of our forwards that actually strike fear into the hearts of the opposition forward pack when they run the ball up.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Blocker goes good but tell the last time you seen him break the line he's running at
Who cares if he makes 130m every game. Block is an old fashioned prop, ball under the wing and power into the defense. He may not break the line often but he makes a decent dent in it.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
So if your a hooker and blocker is running at you, you would go the whole season with out missing a tackle
The quality teams have hooker who can tackle in defence but also have speed in attack and quick hands and crisp passes that can clear the ruck area quickly.

Eyeballs

SGI Junior League
If he makes 130m every game he does not have to break the line. Actually he is an old fashioned prop, ball under the wing and power into the defense. He may not break the line often but he makes a d

He doesn't, in 6 games he has made 2 line breaks but he is invaluable to a coach because he is a workhorse that every pack needs. In fact name any of our forwards that actually strike fear into the hearts of the opposition forward pack when they run the ball up.
Well it seems there not striking any fear anywhere, there losing, been losing since 2010

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
The quality teams have hooker who can tackle in defence but also have speed in attack and quick hands and crisp passes that can clear the ruck area quickly.
Liddle is all of those things that I can see, but is not quite in the quality class and doubt he ever will be. He does need some ball skills once he splits the defense.. like a Kerrod Walters for instance. Then he may become quality.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
No front rowers if they have a good hooker sound only miss maybe one or 2 Game
In today's game which is far more quicker than in my coaching days quality teams run straight at your hooker in the middle of the ruck and on the edges straight at your playmakers. Without looking at the stat's even the best rated hooker would miss 4/5 tackles out of every 30 they have to make. Slow starts to the season by for example the Storm means to me that their hooker Grant would be missing more tackles than last season. You have to remember in the ruck area your hooker shouldn't be making many 1 on 1 tackles if he is you need to adjust your defensive structures

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I'm a mad st George fan have been since my dad put a jumper on me 50 years ago as a kid
BTW mate welcome to the forum. A man after my own heart, first started supporting the REDV at boarding school, more than 50 years ago, mostly out of loneliness. I think my username says it all about me and the Dragons.

Eyeballs

SGI Junior League
In today's game which is far more quicker than in my coaching days quality teams run straight at your hooker in the middle of the ruck and on the edges straight at your playmakers. Without looking at the stat's even the best rated hooker would miss 4/5 tackles out of every 30 they have to make. Slow starts to the season by for example the Storm means to me that their hooker Grant would be missing more tackles than last season. You have to remember in the ruck area your hooker shouldn't be making many 1 on 1 tackles if he is you need to adjust your defensive structures

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Liddle is all of those things that I can see, but is not quite in the quality class and doubt he ever will be. he does need some ball skills once he splits the defense. Then he may be quality.
Liddle is definitely quicker and more dangerous in attack than McCullough ever was. The problem here is he needs to be playing as close to 80 min as possible and he isn't. I know perhaps he is short of match fitness but, this week he only played 40 min, last week 34 min. You can't have your starting hooker playing such small minutes

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Well that's fair but tell me why you would buy Jacob little and sit him on the bench
Liddle is definitely quicker and more dangerous in attack than McCullough ever was. The problem here is he needs to be playing as close to 80 min as possible and he isn't. I know perhaps he is short of match fitness but, this week he only played 40 min, last week 34 min. You can't have your starting hooker playing such small minutes
The biggest issue with Liddle and a few others is the lack of minutes they play.