St George Illawarra in 2023

Eric

Staff
It is much so more today. You can't even coach juniors these days without a coaching accreditation. In my day you could also but needed it to only coach opens. NRL run accreditation courses level 4 is what you have to achieve and renew every 3 yrs to coach nrl level
I wonder how Paul McGregor and Steven Price got such accreditation. You would know better than me but I guess so-called man management is more important than technical knowledge or academic qualifications?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Well each accreditation level focuses on different aspects of coaching basic is weekend junior games to level 4 high performance accreditation for 1st grade Nrl

Eric

Staff
Well each accreditation level focuses on different aspects of coaching basic is weekend junior games to level 4 high performance accreditation for 1st grade Nrl
If it's not a personal query you don't want to answer, may I ask what your level of accreditation is? Assuming 1 is a junior league coach and 4 is NRL.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
If it's not a personal query you don't want to answer, may I ask what your level of accreditation is? Assuming 1 is a junior league coach and 4 is NRL.
I wasn't a 4 it didn't exist back then I was level 2 so able to coach an open age team back in the day and didn't have to have it re accredited every 3 yrs as now once you had it you had it, things have changed for the better but no matter what accreditation anyone reaches, in my view a good coach needs to be a good communicator, good listener, should be able to motivate a player or a team, have a good understanding of the game, its tactics and be able to be personal with their players without trying to be everyone's best mate. Its important especially in each team that there is always a player or 2 more talented than the rest but you cant treat them any differently you need to build a family where you can, back in the day my catch cry was all for one and one for all (3 muskateers). I always said a bunch of champions can beat a champion team. Oh one more thing , being able to drink a few cold cans after the game win lose or draw helped as well

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I wasn't a 4 it didn't exist back then I was level 2 so able to coach an open age team back in the day and didn't have to have it re accredited every 3 yrs as now once you had it you had it, things have changed for the better but no matter what accreditation anyone reaches, in my view a good coach needs to be a good communicator, good listener, should be able to motivate a player or a team, have a good understanding of the game, its tactics and be able to be personal with their players without trying to be everyone's best mate. Its important especially in each team that there is always a player or 2 more talented than the rest but you cant treat them any differently you need to build a family where you can, back in the day my catch cry was all for one and one for all (3 muskateers). I always said a bunch of champions can beat a champion team. Oh one more thing , being able to drink a few cold cans after the game win lose or draw helped as well
Thanks for your input. Seriously well informed stuff.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Question: Who will fill the two holes in the spine?

St George Illawarra Dragons farewelled a lot of players at the end of last season, including five-eighth Corey Norman and fullback Matt Dufty. Coach Anthony Griffin now has two very important positions to fill and a group of young guns pushing for an opportunity. Jayden Sullivan and Talatau Amone are options for five-eighth, while veteran utility Moses Mbye is another name in the mix. Former Dragons forward James Graham believes Amone is more suited to the role.

“If Ben Hunt is going to play No.7 I think the natural No.6 would be Amone. He seems more suited to six where I think Jayden is more of a seven,” he said. “But you never know, they both train really well and they’ve got some pressure as well from Moses Mbye too.” Mbye can also play fullback but Tyrell Sloan and Cody Ramsey have shown they are capable of being an NRL quality No.1

Graham couldn’t pick between Sloan and Ramsey and thinks it will come down to the trials, but he stressed the importance of not rushing either of them. “Sloan and Ramsey have both shown a lot of potential and they’re still learning their trade in the No.1 jersey,” he said. “I think fullback is such an important position in the modern game — the last 10 to 15 years has really shown how integral it is.

“I think we’ve just got to exercise a little bit of patience, especially with those two. We’ve had glimpses of what they can do, there’s already plenty of highlight reel stuff, but it’s more about learning the trade and the one per centres — the stuff that most people wouldn’t pick up on that they’re doing to benefit the team.

“But again, Moses Mbye is probably another option. His versatility will serve the Dragons well, he can play anywhere in that backline. “I imagine Griffin and the rest of the staff have got a starting No.1 in mind but I think with Sloan and Ramsey — they’ve both been training really well up to now — but then with the trials we might get a bit more of an indication of who is really going to seize that opportunity.

“The Dragons have got two really exciting young players vying for that jersey. They’re both blessed with blistering speed, which is something you’ve got to have genetics for.”

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Question: Who will fill the two holes in the spine?

The Dragons farewelled a lot of players at the end of last season, including five-eighth Corey Norman and fullback Matt Dufty. Coach Anthony Griffin now has two very important positions to fill and a group of young guns pushing for an opportunity. Jayden Sullivan and Talatau Amone are options for five-eighth, while veteran utility Moses Mbye is another name in the mix. Former Dragons forward James Graham believes Amone is more suited to the role.

“If Ben Hunt is going to play No.7 I think the natural No.6 would be Amone. He seems more suited to six where I think Jayden is more of a seven,” he said. “But you never know, they both train really well and they’ve got some pressure as well from Moses Mbye too.” Mbye can also play fullback but Tyrell Sloan and Cody Ramsey have shown they are capable of being an NRL quality No.1

Graham couldn’t pick between Sloan and Ramsey and thinks it will come down to the trials, but he stressed the importance of not rushing either of them. “Sloan and Ramsey have both shown a lot of potential and they’re still learning their trade in the No.1 jersey,” he said. “I think fullback is such an important position in the modern game — the last 10 to 15 years has really shown how integral it is.

“I think we’ve just got to exercise a little bit of patience, especially with those two. We’ve had glimpses of what they can do, there’s already plenty of highlight reel stuff, but it’s more about learning the trade and the one per centres — the stuff that most people wouldn’t pick up on that they’re doing to benefit the team.

“But again, Moses Mbye is probably another option. His versatility will serve the Dragons well, he can play anywhere in that backline. “I imagine Griffin and the rest of the staff have got a starting No.1 in mind but I think with Sloan and Ramsey — they’ve both been training really well up to now — but then with the trials we might get a bit more of an indication of who is really going to seize that opportunity.

“The Dragons have got two really exciting young players vying for that jersey. They’re both blessed with blistering speed, which is something you’ve got to have genetics for.”
Whoever fills those spots is the least of our problem. Whether Amone or Sullivan, Sloan or Ramsey, it'll be an upgrade, a very significant upgrade on Norman and Dufty.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff

NRL 2022: The positions up for grabs

All eyes are on the halves at St George Illawarra Dragons on who will partner Ben Hunt.

Position: Five-eighth

Contenders: Talatau Amone, Jayden Sullivan

All eyes are on which of the Dragons’ two youngsters, Sullivan, who last year re-signed until the end of 2025, or Amone, will partner Ben Hunt in the halves. Both are the future but Amone will feature against the Eels on Sunday.

The hype over these two is going into the stratosphere. If it's even partially justified, I wonder whether Hunt won't be moved into hooker this year. Either way, if the hype is even only partially justified, it's vital Hunt is shipped off to the Dolphins next year. Even if we have to pay up to a third of his contract. Anymore than that, better off keeping him in the bench to cover hooker and halves in the event of an injury.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

NRL 2022: The positions up for grabs

All eyes are on who will partner Ben Hunt in the halves at St George Illawarra Dragons

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA

Position: Five-eighth

Contenders: Talatau Amone, Jayden Sullivan

All eyes are on which of the Dragons’ two youngsters, Sullivan, who last year re-signed until the end of 2025, or Amone, will partner Ben Hunt in the halves. Both are the future but Amone will feature against the Eels on Sunday.

The hype over these two is going into the stratosphere. If it's even partially justified, I wonder whether Hunt won't be moved into hooker this year. Either way, if the hype is even only partially justified, it's vital Hunt is shipped off to the Dolphins next year. Even if we have to pay up to a third of his contract. Anymore than that, better off keeping him in the bench to cover hooker and halves in the event of an injury.
Competition for every spot. Andrew McCullough may be the safest player in the squad.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Ok. Well I guess that seals the deal. Unless injured, Amone will start as 5/8 in round 1.
It was always inevitable. I'm interested in how Suli goes. I know photos can be misleading but in the one on the website, he looks very fat.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
It was always inevitable. I'm interested in how Suli goes. I know photos can be misleading but in the one on the website, he looks very fat.
Probably a photo from early in the pre season. Apparently he has lost weight from last year.

Eric

Staff

What does St George Illawarra have to do to win the 2022 premiership?

Like Bunnings during Covid, the Dragons must ban all barbecues.

Secondly, three of the Dragons four first-choice spine members last year – Corey Norman, Matt Dufty and Adam Clune – will not be at the club in 2022.
Given their mediocre past three seasons, that should excite every Saints fan.

The Dragons will have no choice but to play a new brand of footy, with rising stars Jayden Sullivan or Junior Amone to partner Ben Hunt in the halves. Tyrell Sloan at fullback is a future star.

A fair comment but speaking for myself, I now understand (thanks jodragon40 jodragon40) that while Dufty and Norman were poor last year, the forwards were equally poor, possibly even poorer. This year if we have the forwards going forward at least almost equal to the opposition and tackling at least almost as well, we'll be in good shape. No question the likes of Amone, Sloan, Hunt, Lomax, Ravalawa can take care of the attack.

On another note, I'm sick to my stomach with the media raving about the BBQ. I mean, I appreciate a joke or poking a little fun at the club for it here and there but the way they keep raving about it just makes it banal rather than funny.

Eric

Staff
BEN HUNT PROVING TO BE AN OUTSTANDING LEADER

For all the criticism levelled at Ben Hunt, he is a hell of a rugby league player when he is on his game, and is fast developing into an outstanding leader.

The biggest knock on Hunt since he joined the Dragons always relates to his whopping $1.2 million salary, yet he showed again that when all his teammates are pulling their weight equally, Hunt is still up with the game’s absolute elite.

And how exciting was it watching the mix of young and senior players Anthony Griffin has brought together at the Dragons with the likes of Tyrell Sloan, Cody Ramsey, Zac Lomax and Junior Amone playing behind a pack that has the experience and belief to back themselves against any opposition.

Now the Dragons have shown us what they are capable of, they need to do it week after week.

The media are backtracking on their wooden spoon predictions in a hurry.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
BEN HUNT PROVING TO BE AN OUTSTANDING LEADER

For all the criticism levelled at Ben Hunt, he is a hell of a rugby league player when he is on his game, and is fast developing into an outstanding leader.

The biggest knock on Hunt since he joined the Dragons always relates to his whopping $1.2 million salary, yet he showed again that when all his teammates are pulling their weight equally, Hunt is still up with the game’s absolute elite.

And how exciting was it watching the mix of young and senior players Anthony Griffin has brought together at the Dragons with the likes of Tyrell Sloan, Cody Ramsey, Zac Lomax and Junior Amone playing behind a pack that has the experience and belief to back themselves against any opposition.

Now the Dragons have shown us what they are capable of, they need to do it week after week.

Ben Hunt seems to have taken his game to the next level. I think combining with Amone rather than Norman is going do wonders for his confidence. On Amone, I'm interested in seeing more of his kicking game.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

More on this:

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS YOUNG GUNS SOUND WARNING TO NRL

In 2022 St George Illawarra Dragons after upsetting the Rabbitohs to claim their first Charity Shield since 2011. Benji Marshall believes there are good signs that the Dragons could be headed back to the finals on the back of the right mix of youth and experience that Anthony Griffin now has at his disposal.

“There was a lot to like about the Dragons,” Marshall said. “They signed a lot of new players and they aimed up tonight. “I thought Jack Bird looked really happy, healthy and fit and had a great performance. “Some of their new signings looked really sharp, but the thing that impressed me the most was the ability of some of their young kids.

“Tyrell Sloan at fullback and Cody Ramsey on the wing. They were chopping and changing between their positions. “Also their young five-eighth was one of their best performers tonight Talatau Amone. A lot to look forward to for Dragons fans.” Corey Parker also paid tribute to Dragons skipper Ben Hunt who led from the front with a superb kicking game and controlled proceedings in Mudgee. “They look connected the Dragons,” Parker said.

“They have copped a lot of criticism over recent years and rightly so, but they look like a connected footy side. “We spoke about some of their key signings and having that experience. “Ben Hunt was exceptional at halfback. He was competing and it is infectious within the group. “I think they have great depth and when you have great depth you have players that are vying for spots. “They look like a footy team that has had a good summer and are ready for a big season.”

Gone from the spoon to the finals. Next step, top 4.