St George Illawarra in 2023

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
We have plenty of tackle busters but perhaps not to the same extent as Trbojevic, Mitchell, Fifita. Add Tedesco to that list.
(new paragraph ;))
Be nice to have a tackle buster in the forwards. We have:
  • Woods who rolls forward and offloads but doesn't bust many tackles.
  • Lawrie who works hard, doesn't bust many tackles.
  • Sims who runs into gaps but doesn't bust many tackles.
  • de Belin who ball plays but doesn't bust many tackles.
Not sure about Molo, Su'a or Bird (when playing in the forwards).

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
As an old coach you loved the big centres who used their size to barrel over the opposition but I always preferred the leaner quicker centres who had a step or a shimmy like Gasnier but thats just me

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Agree but not getting overexcited is one thing but some of the recent media coverage makes one-eyed fans look somewhat pessimistic by comparison. IMO some decent go-forward along with depth was the last thing we were missing. Getting rid of some dead wood was also important. Judging from the trails, we are no longer lacking go-forward or depth. And at least the highly paid deadwood is all gone. I can't see Alvaro for example getting an offer from any other clubs. Josh Kerr might get an offer. He rarely does anything bad but almost never does anything really good. Other than that, seems to me every member of the squad is ready to play NRL this year.

What more do we need to compete and beat the top teams?
  • Amone's playmaking to be near as good as his running game?
  • Sloan to play as well as he has in the trails throughout the year?
  • Defence to remain how it was in the trials?
I don't know what else but those three things are certainly doable.
Roy Masters in a Fairfax piece was still writing us off. Doing it in a bizarre way. Like he has no idea what he is talking about. Or, what doe she mean by this?
Of the bottom clubs, the Broncos have lifted with the transfer of Reynolds and Capewell, together with the expectation lethal centre Kotoni Staggs will play a full season.

The Bulldogs bought up big but risk some of the older ones hearing that little voice in the head say, “run out there and rest on your [past] laurels.”

However, any hype about the Dragons, Wests Tigers and the Cowboys being declared above average is, well, hype. St George Illawarra, minus a nucleus of “young veterans”, are hurting at both ends of the age spectrum.
Firstly, what is "a young veteran"? Secondly, what does he mean by "hurting at both ends of the age spectrum"? The team is too young and too old at the same time? Has Roy Masters gone senile?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Roy Masters in a Fairfax piece was still writing us off. Doing it in a bizarre way. Like he has no idea what he is talking about. Or, what doe she mean by this?

Firstly, what is "a young veteran"? Secondly, what does he mean by "hurting at both ends of the age spectrum"? The team is too young and too old at the same time? Has Roy Masters gone senile?
There is basically a war going on between Fairfax and News Ltd over Anthony Griffin. It's well known Phillip Ronald Gould is a big person over at Fairfax and it's well known he and Anthony Griffin aren't friends. I'm not sure if it's for this reason or something else that News Ltd likes Anthony Griffin. I don't care. I only care about the direction he is taking the club and so far, I think I like it.

That may be the reason for Roy Masters ranting. Either that or drunk or going senile. By "young veteran" I presume he means Zac Lomax and possibly Suli who are still early 20s but made their NRL debut some time ago. I have no other explanation. By "hurting at both ends of the age spectrum", I can only guess he means a team of really young players or veterans. I know that contradicts the first comment and it's simply not true but it's the only explanation I have.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
There is basically a war going on between Fairfax and News Ltd over Anthony Griffin. It's well known Phillip Ronald Gould is a big person over at Fairfax and it's well known he and Anthony Griffin aren't friends. I'm not sure if it's for this reason or something else that News Ltd likes Anthony Griffin. I don't care. I only care about the direction he is taking the club and so far, I think I like it.

That may be the reason for Roy Masters ranting. Either that or drunk or going senile. By "young veteran" I presume he means Zac Lomax and possibly Suli who are still early 20s but made their NRL debut some time ago. I have no other explanation. By "hurting at both ends of the age spectrum", I can only guess he means a team of really young players or veterans. I know that contradicts the first comment and it's simply not true but it's the only explanation I have.
Maybe it has something to do with News Ltd vs Fairfax but I'm not sure Roy Masters would pay attention to that.

Having read your ideas which as you mentioned, don't make sense, my personal opinion is that Roy Masters is simply cutting corners. Writing articles without doing the research.

Eric

Staff
keep writing us off. Though since the trails started, Roy Masters is the exception, not the norm.
Bookmakers still writing us off. I really can't see where they are coming from. Maybe trying to liven up the market a bit?

St George Illawarra Dragons’ Charity Shield victory fails to impress bookies​

As St George Illawarra Dragons fail to find any believers among bookmakers despite their Charity Shield heroics, a 2021 finals team has amazingly been heavily backed for the game’s most unwanted record.​

They go on to talk about the Dragons being $34 to win the competition behind only Wests Tigers and North Queensland. After the touch up North Queensland gave Brisbane, really strange.

But they go onto say last year Dragons were at $51 and then $41 early this year.
But since then they have really made a statement with the weekend win in Mudgee over last year’s grand finalists leading many experts, including Fox League’s Greg Alexander, to now have the Dragons in their top eight.
A TAB spokesman said they were remaining cautious and have resisted tightening them further for now.

Eric

Staff

Report Card: What the trials told us about St George Illawarra Dragons ahead of the 2022 season kickoff​

St George Illawarra Dragons

What we know: They won’t be as bad as first expected. The Dragons showed plenty in trials to give their fans hope, especially their exciting young players in Tyrell Sloan, Talatau Amone and Max Feagai.

What we don’t know: If that will be enough to stop them being rubbish. The young players are, well, young, and thus inconsistent, and beyond them, this is a Dragons team that looked very limited last year.

No shit? Thanks for the tip. That why the turnover combined with the suspensions and injuries means this year's team will have very little in common with that of last year.

Breakout star: Tyrell Sloan has first crack at the one jersey and has the potential to be a very exciting player, especially in conjunction with Amone and Jayden Sullivan.

Key player: For all the young spine, Ben Hunt will be the key to guiding St George Illawarra around the park. Watch out for Hunt moving to nine to accommodate Sullivan at halfback.

Eric

Staff

Reynolds reckons Penrith Panthers won’t defend title but likes St George Illawarra Dragons

Josh Reynolds believes Penrith will not be able to defend their premiership, tipping a fully-fit Roosters team as the title favourites. The former Canterbury, Wests Tigers and NSW five-eighth, who now plays for Hull FC, said the return of Luke Keary to play alongside Sam Walker would give the Roosters the edge.

“I don’t think they [Penrith] can win it again and that’s nothing on Penrith. I just think it’s a totally different beast being the hunted. Winning the comp the year before and then having to be up every week because everyone comes after you,” he told the Big Sports Breakfast. “Even though to an extent that did happen last year, it’s a whole lot different and you got to be up every game.”

Reynolds said the Dragons would be finals contenders in 2022 after an impressive win over Souths in last weekend’s Charity Shield. “The Dragons really surprised me. I really like their team, the way they play. They don’t play the exact same plays as a lot of all the other teams. I feel they’re a bit off the cuff,” he said. “Ben Hunt looked like he was in control and I think the Dragons play best when he is doing that. “I think for Dragons fans they can be excited. They haven’t been over the moon with the last couple of years so it will be good to get some wins on the board for the club.”

I agree with him. At least regarding St George. Penrith will be very tough to beat at the business end of the season.

Eric

Staff

The Tackle Round 1 —Biggest issue facing every NRL team​

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS​

Coach Anthony Griffin has put together a strong forward pack with good depth and experience. But the big question hanging over the Dragons will be how their promising young backs handle the rigours of a full NRL season once they get through the hype that goes with the early stages of any NRL year.

No doubt these youngsters have outstanding talent but we won’t really know where the Dragons are at until we get through the grind of the Origin period. Traditionally, that’s when the more experienced teams lift heading for the finals, and sometimes the young blokes have had enough.

Clutching at straws. One week they are the reason to give us hope of good things to come and the next week they are our biggest issue.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

The Tackle Round 1 —Biggest issue facing every NRL team​

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS​

Coach Anthony Griffin has put together a strong forward pack with good depth and experience. But the big question hanging over the Dragons will be how their promising young backs handle the rigours of a full NRL season once they get through the hype that goes with the early stages of any NRL year.

No doubt these youngsters have outstanding talent but we won’t really know where the Dragons are at until we get through the grind of the Origin period. Traditionally, that’s when the more experienced teams lift heading for the finals, and sometimes the young blokes have had enough.

Clutching at straws. One week they are the reason to give us hope of good things to come and the next week they are our biggest issue.
I'm just glad the wait is almost over. 3 big reveals this week.
  • Who is going to make up the starting second row out of Bird, Sims, Su'a?
  • Are the front rowers going to get us moving forward on a consistent basis?
  • How are our young players going to handle the NRL?
Then there is how other teams are looking compared to Saints but that is beyond our control.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I'm just glad the wait is almost over. 3 big reveals this week.
  • Who is going to make up the starting second row out of Bird, Sims, Su'a?
  • Are the front rowers going to get us moving forward on a consistent basis?
  • How are our young players going to handle the NRL?
Then there is how other teams are looking compared to Saints but that is beyond our control.
The coach is like a good jockey he may be up there with the very best but if he is riding sub standard horses no matter how good he is they just wont win. Griffin was handed a basket case of a club after McGregor and it has taken some time to convince the powers to be that he needed better horses to ride in this case better player. He has gone for tried and true horses in his selection and sometimes that can be a good thing, time will tell.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
The coach is like a good jockey he may be up there with the very best but if he is riding sub standard horses no matter how good he is they just wont win. Griffin was handed a basket case of a club after McGregor and it has taken some time to convince the powers to be that he needed better horses to ride in this case better player. He has gone for tried and true horses in his selection and sometimes that can be a good thing, time will tell.
McGregor handed him a basket case. Truer words have never been uttered.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

DARK HORSE

Marshall: Dragons. St George Illawarra will improve dramatically and are primed for a big year. A great blend of youth with the likes of (Talatau) Amone, (Tyrell) Sloan and (Cody) Ramsay and some great experience with (Aaron) Woods, (Tariq) Sims and (Josh) McGuire. Some great signings as well — (Jaydn) Su'A, Moses Suli & Moses Mbye.

Fletcher: The Dragons. ‘Hook’ (Anthony Griffin) has managed to strike the right balance with his squad. Ben Hunt has come into his own as the chief playmaker and has the backing of the coach. Also, they’ve got a terrific group of young guns coming through that will light up the comp this year. Tyrell Sloan his my smokey for an Origin call up.

Roach: They cant win the comp, but for me the Saints are a team on the rise. With (Ben) Hunt, (Jack) De Belin, Su’A, (Jack) Bird and (Moses) Suli, ‘Hook’ has assembled the nucleus of a really good side. They can make the eight.

Parker: My dark horse of the competition is the Dragons. I really like the recruitment and they’ve got great depth across the board. They’ve got some exciting young backs coming through, with Ben Hunt steering the ship. Throw in an experienced forward pack which is key over a long season.

Crawley: Dragons. Tough and experienced pack with good depth, exciting young backs, just need Ben Hunt to stay fit.

Elias: Dragons. I like the coach, more stability and purpose. No more distractions outside the team and a very focused young talented squad with depth.

Graham: Dragons. Full disclosure I do work there but I expect a lot from the group. Last year they couldn’t maintain their good start but I feel with the quality and depth of the squad that has been addressed.

3 months ago the general consensus in the media was that the only thing likely to save St George from the spoon was Wests Tigers. Now we are "dark horse" for the premiership.

Though Fletcher saying Sloan is a smoky for SOO call-up must have been smoking something. If Tedesco, Trbojevic, Mitchell and Papenhuyzen are all unavailable, Sloan is in with a great chance. Lomax will be straight into centre if Tedesco, Trbojevic or Mitchell are unavailable.

Eric

Staff

DARK HORSE

Marshall: Dragons. St George Illawarra will improve dramatically and are primed for a big year. A great blend of youth with the likes of (Talatau) Amone, (Tyrell) Sloan and (Cody) Ramsay and some great experience with Aaron Woods, Tariq Sims and Josh McGuire. Some great signings as well — Jaydn Su'A, Moses Suli & Moses Mbye.

Fletcher: The Dragons. ‘Hook’ has managed to strike the right balance with his squad. Ben Hunt has come into his own as the chief playmaker and has the backing of the coach. Also, they’ve got a terrific group of young guns coming through that will light up the comp this year. Tyrell Sloan his my smokey for an Origin call up.

Roach: They cant win the comp, but for me the Saints are a team on the rise. With (Ben) Hunt, (Jack) De Belin, Su’A, (Jack) Bird and (Moses) Suli, ‘Hook’ has assembled the nucleus of a really good side. They can make the eight.

Parker: My dark horse of the competition is the Dragons. I really like the recruitment and they’ve got great depth across the board. They’ve got some exciting young backs coming through, with Ben Hunt steering the ship. Throw in an experienced forward pack which is key over a long season.

Crawley: St George Illawarra. Tough and experienced pack with good depth, exciting young backs, just need Ben Hunt to stay fit.

Elias: Dragons. I like the coach, more stability and purpose. No more distractions outside the team and a very focused young talented squad with depth.

Graham: Dragons. Full disclosure I do work there but I expect a lot from the group. Last year they couldn’t maintain their good start but I feel with the quality and depth of the squad that has been addressed.

3 months ago the general consensus in the media was that the only thing likely to save St George from the spoon was Wests Tigers. Now we are "dark horse" for the premiership.

Though Fletcher saying Sloan is a smoky for SOO call-up must have been smoking something. If Tedesco, Trbojevic, Mitchell and Papenhuyzen are all unavailable, Sloan is in with a great chance. Lomax will be straight into centre if Tedesco, Trbojevic or Mitchell are unavailable.
Dark horse is utter nonsense. We are specials!

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

DARK HORSE

Marshall: Dragons. St George Illawarra will improve dramatically and are primed for a big year. A great blend of youth with the likes of (Talatau) Amone, (Tyrell) Sloan and (Cody) Ramsay and some great experience with (Aaron) Woods, (Tariq) Sims and (Josh) McGuire. Some great signings as well — (Jaydn) Su'A, Moses Suli & Moses Mbye.

Fletcher: The Dragons. ‘Hook’ (Anthony Griffin) has managed to strike the right balance with his squad. Ben Hunt has come into his own as the chief playmaker and has the backing of the coach. Also, they’ve got a terrific group of young guns coming through that will light up the comp this year. Tyrell Sloan his my smokey for an Origin call up.

Crawley: Dragons. Tough and experienced pack with good depth, exciting young backs, just need Ben Hunt to stay fit.

Its our depth we really have more depth than most clubs when you look at NRL experience playing in NSW Cup, now the pundits are seeing what I have been seeing for months. Don't forget this new group of 30 haven't played with each other extensively , have had 2 games so barring injuries and suspensions the group as a whole can only improve as the season goes along. I got $5 for top 8 a month ago now you cant get $3, money talks

Eric

Staff

St George Illawarra Dragons​

Best 1 to 17​

1: Tyrell Sloan, 2: Mikaele Ravalawa, 3: Zac Lomax, 4: Moses Suli, 5: Cody Ramsay, 6: Junior Amone, 7: Ben Hunt, 8: Francis Molo, 9: Andrew McCullough, 10: Jack de Belin, 11: Tariq Sims, 12: Jaydn Su’A, 13: Jack Bird, 14: Moses Mbye, 15: Aaron Woods, 16: Josh McGuire, 17: Josh Kerr

Losses​

Cameron McInnes Sharks, Matt Dufty Bulldogs, Jordan Pereira Broncos, Adam Clune Knights, Paul Vaughan Bulldogs, Kaide Ellis Wigan, Brayden Wiliame French rugby, Corey Norman retirement, Gerard Beale, Billy Brittain, Hayden Lomax all released

Why they can win​

Kids. They’ve finally got an extensive and very good bunch of them with Tyrell Sloan, Junior Amone, Jayden Sullivan and the Feagai twins set to be the cornerstone of the Dragons’ revival. It’s easily forgotten Ben Hunt had an outstanding season last year in between a broken leg and broken arm, and with any uncertainty around Anthony Griffin’s contract situation put to bed, St George Illawarra is primed for a run at the top eight with the addition of Jaydn Su’A and Moses Suli, who will add strike out wide.

Why they can't win​

While their young prospects look exciting, they still might need a year or two adjust to the brutality of a full NRL season. There are still question marks over the signings of veterans George Burgess, Aaron Woods and Moses Mbye, albeit the Dragons have picked up the trio on cut-price deals. Have they got the mental strength for a long scrap for the top eight after last year’s capitulation?

What the experts think​

The wooden spoon favouritism of a couple of months ago was a farce - this side is much better than that. Anthony Griffin, with a show of faith from the St George Illawarra board by extending his deal before a ball has been kicked, has loaded up on depth in the forwards and if Ben Hunt stays fit, this team can sneak into the finals.

I don't think any fans were ever serious about starting JDB at prop this year. At least none I've spoken to. Yet the media keeps plugging on with it. A conspiracy theorist would say they (media pundits) want to choose the team for Coach Griffin as they did with the previous regime.