St George Illawarra in 2023

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The reality is that for us to make the top 8 we have to beat those teams around us at the moment so Souths, Sea Eagles and Raiders. I believe we will squeeze into the top 8 in 8th this season but that I believe will depend how Souths go , I don't believe that the Sea Eagles can make the 8 without TT and the Raiders are a poorer team than we are in depth. So in my view weeks 15 and 16 will most probably decide whether we are good enough to play semi final football this season. Next week game against the high flying Cowboys will be a good indicator, then the season defining games against Souths and Raiders.
Cowboys are almost the polar opposite of the Dragons. Cowboys have a multitude of young forwards who have come through the grades and are playing really well. Dragons have imported veterans who are playing really poorly. Can't blame Griffin for it yet but next year we need to start seeing results.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Yes we can. As head coach surely he has the final say on club recruitment. His choices have been bias and frankly abysmal, other than Sua and Suli.
I agree his recruitment has been poor. I was referring to the lack of young forwards in first grade. Can't blame Griffin for that yet. It takes at least 2 years, more likely 3 to start from scratch and bring young players, particularly forwards, into first grade.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I agree his recruitment has been poor. I was referring to the lack of young forwards in first grade. Can't blame Griffin for that yet. It takes at least 2 years, more likely 3 to start from scratch and bring young players, particularly forwards, into first grade.
The big hopes we had for later this year or next year have either fallen off the radar or been dropped back to Flegg from NSW Cup. Coric has been in and out of NSW Cup. But then again, Griffin specially mentioned the young players the club has extended so he must have an idea. J. Hunt is one. M. Molo is already in first grade and looks like staying.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
The big hopes we had for later this year or next year have either fallen off the radar or been dropped back to Flegg from NSW Cup. Coric has been in and out of NSW Cup. But then again, Griffin specially mentioned the young players the club has extended so he must have an idea. J. Hunt is one. M. Molo is already in first grade and looks like staying.
Lodge is still unemployed.

Eric

Staff
I'd think if the club was interested, it would be publicly known by now.
The club is never even linked to anyone except apparently Munster for 1.2 mil a year. That's gone quiet. Seems its a race between Melbourne and Redcliff. So what who is the club looking to get instead with that money?

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Hook only wants players no other clubs want. He must fancy himself as a guru who can take veterans thought to be at the end of their careers back to their glory days.
The place has become a Retirement Village for players coming to the end of their careers ..... Said before these player are only good for about 20min or so , the game has changed you need fast young mobile players that are big and fast ...... Thats why they can't keep up with other teams .....

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
The place has become a Retirement Village for players coming to the end of their careers ..... Said before these player are only good for about 20min or so , the game has changed you need fast young mobile players that are big and fast ...... Thats why they can't keep up with other teams .....
It's so bizarre, I firmly believe it's due to salary cap pressure McGregor saddled him with.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I don't think they are too old. Lots of older props than Woods and Burgess. Though McGuire is among the oldest forwards and McCullough is the oldest hooker. But no matter the age, they aren't cutting it in first grade anymore so someone should take the blame for recruiting them. If it's due to salary cap problems McGregor left behind, the club should communicate that to the general public.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
It's so bizarre, I firmly believe it's due to salary cap pressure McGregor saddled him with.
Maybe but if that is true, why doesn't the club communicate that?
That's a good question. Many or most or almost all fans as far as I know are confused by bargain buy his recruitment of players no other clubs want. Seems it must be due to salary cap problems. But if it were true, why would the club keep it secret? In recent years Newcastle, Canterbury and to a lesser extent, Broncos have been very vocal about their salary cap problems.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
That's a good question. Many or most or almost all fans as far as I know are confused by bargain buy his recruitment of players no other clubs want. Seems it must be due to salary cap problems. But if it were true, why would the club keep it secret? In recent years Newcastle, Canterbury and to a lesser extent, Broncos have been very vocal about their salary cap problems.
Because there are no salary cap issues and it was just very poor recruitment?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Because there are no salary cap issues and it was just very poor recruitment?
I've said several times, someone from the club should explain the situation and if it was just very poor recruiting, someone should be held accountable!

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I've said several times, someone from the club should explain the situation and if it was just very poor recruiting, someone should be held accountable!
I think you said previously, 'held accountable' → 'publicly flogged'.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
If I was Griffin I'd not be taking my eye of this young Shane Webke lookalike. How often do you see a front rower split the line, chip kick and regather? Coric did it in a Ressies match I saw recently. Most props in that position would get flustered if they broke the line and either look for support or take the tackle.