St George Illawarra in 2023

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
If I was Griffin I'd not be taking my eye of this young Shane Webke lookalike. How often do you see a front rower split the line, chip kick and regather? Coric did it in a Ressies match I saw recently. Most props in that position would get flustered if they broke the line and either look for support or take the tackle.
Unless it was the last tackle and it ended in his hands by mistake, I'm not sure the coaching staff would like the chip kick. Having said that, if he has good passing skills, it's a huge plus.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I watched Penrith hammer Newcastle today and thought about how Dragons went within cms of beating Penrith in (was it round 2?). Anyone have an idea how we became such a rabble since then?

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I watched Penrith hammer Newcastle today and thought about how Dragons went within cms of beating Penrith in (was it round 2?). Anyone have an idea how we became such a rabble since then?
Penrith had a bad night.

Eric

Staff
I don't know this to be true but I know jodragon said a while ago there was some disunity in the team centering around a certain rep player who by all reports is being very significantly overpaid but is gone at the end of the year.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Coaching Staff ......
I've been outspoken in my support of the coach. I just thought some of his recruitment strategy was due to salary cap trouble he inherited. I was a huge fan of him ignoring the outside noise to not re-sign McInnes. Even though I couldn't understand why he wanted to sign McCullough, I liked that he didn't let the media push him around as McGregor did.

I also liked his very good record in building clubs from the bottom up. He did it at Brisbane and at Penrith. Just before or after he left both, scores of really good young players started coming into first grade.

Having said all that, the wheels really do seem to be falling off at present. Players are regressing. Griffin's signings (Macca, Woods, Mbye, Burgess) are embarrassing the club.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I've been outspoken in my support of the coach. I just thought some of his recruitment strategy was due to salary cap trouble he inherited. I was a huge fan of him ignoring the outside noise to not re-sign McInnes. Even though I couldn't understand why he wanted to sign McCullough, I liked that he didn't let the media push him around as McGregor did.

I also liked his very good record in building clubs from the bottom up. He did it at Brisbane and at Penrith. Just before or after he left both, scores of really good young players started coming into first grade.

Having said all that, the wheels really do seem to be falling off at present. Players are regressing. Griffin's signings (Macca, Woods, Mbye, Burgess) are embarrassing the club.
The wheels have fallen off. I guess they are going to give the coaching staff time to put them back on but another pathetic display this week might see things heat up.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
If Griffin were the coach, he'd have Josh Jackson starting as prop, Vaughan in the backrow, TPJ starting from the bench.
JAC would be playing lock in order to make way for Gerald Beale on the wing. Not sure who the centres and wingers in the Broncos U20s team of 15 years ago were but I'm sure Griffin would love to recruit them.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Correct me if wrong but under this useless coach we have won 16 matches from 40. So why is he still here and not in the unemployment line like several other sacked coaches
The team is going backwards. He keeps talking about "building a team and club from the bottom up" but never gives any specific info. The only thing I have seen him do is stifle good, young players such as Amone, Sloan and Sullivan and recruit aging and/or dud forwards.

Eric

Staff
The team is going backwards. He keeps talking about "building a team and club from the bottom up" but never gives any specific info. The only thing I have seen him do is stifle good, young players such as Amone, Sloan and Sullivan and recruit aging and/or dud forwards.
Re Sloan, we all know he was dropped after wetting the bed in regard to taking bombs. Not tackling and not running back into the defence was secondary. So the coach recalled him for a game in driving rain and gale force wind in a round where even Tedesco had a huge amount of trouble under high balls. Like more trouble than Sloan had in the same conditions. I didn't watch other games but I presume the same happened to those fullbacks.

It seems so weird recalling him in those conditions.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
If he'd come out and explain his plan, or someone from the club would, it would be ok. But all he does is drone on about the young players the club has re-signed. Like O'Ofuo who has been banished to group 6. Shereb wasn't up to NSW Cup. Coric is in and out of Jersey Flegg / NSW Cup. I hope I'm wrong but not likely he is going to bust down the door in first grade next year.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Like bring the club to its knees. Well he has done that so his plan worked. Buy why? NRL coaches are on good bickies.. why jeopardise that.
There is also oversight. He must have explained his plan to someone. All the general public knows is that the 'master plan' included signing:
  • Woods
  • Burgess
  • F. Molo
  • Faamausili
  • McGuire
To be middle forwards.
We all know how that's worked out.

Eric

Staff
There is also oversight. He must have explained his plan to someone. All the general public knows is that the 'master plan' included signing:
  • Woods
  • Burgess
  • F. Molo
  • Faamausili
  • McGuire
To be middle forwards.
We all know how that's worked out.
Each one of those was unwanted at the club he was at before joining the Dragons....... Seriously, WTF was the coach thinking? He was the guru who could show the other NRL coaches they were wrong about those players?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Each one of those was unwanted at the club he was at before joining the Dragons....... Seriously, WTF was the coach thinking? He was the guru who could show the other NRL coaches they were wrong about those players?
Some coaches seem to also drastically overestimate their own ability.