St George Illawarra in 2023

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
best tries of 2022 so far.

Part I
Part II

What a surprise the fast, entertaining team Griffin has built doesn't feature in either part.
You know things are bad when an Illawarra and Dragons rep player Trent Barrett knocks back the assistant coaches gig under Griffin but signs with Parramatta as their attacking coach for 23. But at least we recruited Ben Woolf who has been coaching Qld Cup up here. Ben who?? Time will tell. In 23 and God I hope I'm wrong 12th

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
You know things are bad when an Illawarra and Dragons rep player Trent Barrett knocks back the assistant coaches gig under Griffin but signs with Parramatta as their attacking coach for 23. But at least we recruited Ben Woolf who has been coaching Qld Cup up here. Ben who?? Time will tell. In 23 and God I hope I'm wrong 12th
Ben Woolf? Who? Never heard of him.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Parramatta Eels confirm Trent Barrett as assistant coach for 2023 season!!!​

What the, how did the Eels gazump us. What effort did our club make to stop this happening. Or didn't Trent want to return home?
It might have had something to do with relocating to Wollongong. Or might have come down to them offering him more money. Might have been not wanting to work under Hook. Might a combination of all 3.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Parramatta Eels confirm Trent Barrett as assistant coach for 2023 season!!!​

What the, how did the Eels gazump us. What effort did our club make to stop this happening. Or didn't Trent want to return home?
But don't worry, according to Jo Dragon, they have recruited Ben Woolf.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Woolf who has been coaching Qld Cup up here. Ben who??
Yes Ben Who?? What input does the Chairman have in the say of Front Office recruitment. Is this purely Griffin and his cronies keeping it in the Qld club.
Our once great club just dropped a couple more rungs down the ladder. I am hurt and so bloody angry.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
At least Matthew Head was a local. Unless Woolf is a tactical genius dont expect our attack to improve from past few years and for us to make the finals.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
This was written about Ben Woolf two years ago.

Ben Woolf’s reputation as one of Queensland rugby league’s best young mentors has been underlined with his appointment as the Maroons’ under-20s State of Origin coach.

Blues thrashed the Maroons 32-4 in the '22 match. Great work Ben Woolf.

Woolf coaches the Tweed Heads Seagulls in the Qld Cup.They are currently ranked 6th sitting on 21 points with 17 wins 9 losses.

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
At least Matthew Head was a local. Unless Woolf is a tactical genius dont expect our attack to improve from past few years and for us to make the finals.
Woolf is renowned up this way to nurture the young stars in a club . He is the head coach of the Tweed Heads Seagulls in Qld Cup comp. His brother is currently coaching St Helens in England but has been signed by Bennett to be his assistant coach for the Dolphins

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Woolf is renowned up this way to nurture the young stars in a club . He is the head coach of the Tweed Heads Seagulls in Qld Cup comp. His brother is currently coaching St Helens in England but has been signed by Bennett to be his assistant coach for the Dolphins
So you think it's a good signing? BTW where is it reported?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
What is his position going to be? Assistant coach? In charge of attack or defence?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Interesting article in The Roar

Salary capastrophes: The overpaid NRL players on bloated contracts short-changing their clubs​

3. Jack Bird ($550K) – Jack is increasingly becoming a Jack of all positions, and a master of none at the Dragons. He’s looking like a bench player at best and hardly deserving of this sort of coin.

I think this is harsh. I agree he's best being an interchange utility but 550K really isn't that much for a regular first grader nowadays.

4. Zac Lomax ($700K) – Has there been a player in recent years with so much natural talent and so little idea of how to use it? The St George Illawarra centre’s attention to detail and his game awareness would look out of place in park football let alone in the NRL arena.

I think this is harsh too. We all know in the first half of the season he was way too optimistic about his own ability. I mean, trying to score or set up a try with every touch. But in the second half of the season, he's been one of the few bright spots.

9. Moses Mbye ($900K) – A biblical reference would be appropriate for a player named Moses, so let’s just go with the 8th Commandment. He’s a Dragon but also a stealer.

Agree with this, even the 450K Dragons are paying is way too much.

13. Tariq Sims ($650K) – Tariq hasn’t strung two good games together in over four years but still earns $100K more than Prime Minister Anthony Albanese. Would both the Dragons and Australia be better off if they traded places?

Agree with this as well. He hasn't been bad but should be on around 300-350K.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Interesting article in The Roar

Salary capastrophes: The overpaid NRL players on bloated contracts short-changing their clubs​

3. Jack Bird ($550K) – Jack is increasingly becoming a Jack of all positions, and a master of none at the Dragons. He’s looking like a bench player at best and hardly deserving of this sort of coin.

I think this is harsh. I agree he's best being an interchange utility but 550K really isn't that much for a regular first grader nowadays.

4. Zac Lomax ($700K) – Has there been a player in recent years with so much natural talent and so little idea of how to use it? The St George Illawarra centre’s attention to detail and his game awareness would look out of place in park football let alone in the NRL arena.

I think this is harsh too. We all know in the first half of the season he was way too optimistic about his own ability. I mean, trying to score or set up a try with every touch. But in the second half of the season, he's been one of the few bright spots.

9. Moses Mbye ($900K) – A biblical reference would be appropriate for a player named Moses, so let’s just go with the 8th Commandment. He’s a Dragon but also a stealer.

Agree with this, even the 450K Dragons are paying is way too much.

13. Tariq Sims ($650K) – Tariq hasn’t strung two good games together in over four years but still earns $100K more than Prime Minister Anthony Albanese. Would both the Dragons and Australia be better off if they traded places?

Agree with this as well. He hasn't been bad but should be on around 300-350K.
Bird on 550K is reasonable but Sims should only be on 300~350K? Try to booze less in the morning.

Sims playing in his best position, on an edge rather than in the middle to accommodate Bird may well be worth up to 500K a year. Instead Grffin has had him playing all over the park except his best position.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Bird on 550K is reasonable but Sims should only be on 300~350K? Try to booze less in the morning.

Sims playing in his best position, on an edge rather than in the middle to accommodate Bird may well be worth up to 500K a year. Instead Grffin has had him playing all over the park except his best position.
Slow down! I haven't been boozing. Bird on 550K is overpaid! No question but is he among the 13 most overpaid players in the competition? I don't think so.

Last edited: