St George Illawarra in 2023

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Watching the Cowboys how in the hell did we let Reece Robson go? I know at the time Mcinness was there but I suggest he is a better option than McCullough. Even Leilua looks good

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Jack Bird ($550K) – Jack is increasingly becoming a Jack of all positions, and a master of none at the Dragons. He’s looking like a bench player at best and hardly deserving of this sort of coin.
Not worth half that. Agree bench player at best.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Zac Lomax ($700K) – Has there been a player in recent years with so much natural talent and so little idea of how to use it?
Harsh as. He gets so little ball he has to go looking for it. Zac would be a standout in a strong team imo with all that natural talent.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
When they talk about the much vaunted divide at the Dragons, do you think they are talking about
  • Team vs admin?
  • Team vs coach?
  • Within the team?
  • Coach vs admin?
  • something else?
  • all or some combination of those?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
When they talk about the much vaunted divide at the Dragons, do you think they are talking about
  • Team vs admin?
  • Team vs coach?
  • Within the team?
  • Coach vs admin?
  • something else?
  • all or some combination of those?
I think it's some squad members led by Ben Hunt and the coach vs other squad members. Some squad members are unhappy with coach favouring some squad members. Think Macca, Mbye, McGuire Wouldn't surprise if it includes Bird and Woods.

Eric

Staff

2023 NRL jersey review​

So, who are the NRL’s fashion leaders and fashion disasters in 2023? This year I decided to ask a selection of readers to review and rate their team’s 2023 jerseys, with reader ratings and my ratings used to arrive at a score out of 100.

St George Illawarra Dragons (79) have one of the classics of the genre, with Tony summing it up nicely, “There’s just no better nor more recognisable rugby league jersey than the big Red V of the Dragons, and the 2023 design looks great”, and Andrew adding that “the big Red V is history and… synonymous with the great Dragons teams from the past”.

But the lack of an Illawarra Steelers-style jersey has been a bugbear for supporters like Andrew, who remarked that “I’d prefer the original Steelers jersey, red with [two] white hoops as the away jersey”. Amen.

This is one thing we can be happy about; The Dragons jersey is surely the best in the competition. But the author is right about the away jersey based on that of Illawarra. It's a problem.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

2023 NRL jersey review​

So, who are the NRL’s fashion leaders and fashion disasters in 2023? This year I decided to ask a selection of readers to review and rate their team’s 2023 jerseys, with reader ratings and my ratings used to arrive at a score out of 100.

St George Illawarra Dragons (79) have one of the classics of the genre, with Tony summing it up nicely, “There’s just no better nor more recognisable rugby league jersey than the big Red V of the Dragons, and the 2023 design looks great”, and Andrew adding that “the big Red V is history and… synonymous with the great Dragons teams from the past”.

But the lack of an Illawarra Steelers-style jersey has been a bugbear for supporters like Andrew, who remarked that “I’d prefer the original Steelers jersey, red with [two] white hoops as the away jersey”. Amen.

This is one thing we can be happy about; The Dragons jersey is surely the best in the competition. But the author is right about the away jersey based on that of Illawarra. It's a problem.
Something everyone can agree on. The Red V rules. The Steelers alternative jersey needs some work.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I think they give this team too much credit. For the entire time Hook has been head coach, he's tried to win games by playing a very negative brand of football. Sometimes the games, even when the Dragons are winning, are hard to watch.

NRL watchability ratings

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

VERDICT:

Anthony Griffin should petition the NRL to give the Dragons’ 6am kick-offs in the motel carpark this season, at least that way you know they’re going to come fired up and ready for a stink.

The Charity Shield was another typical Dragons train crash, during and after the match. First up they get belted by the Bunnies, then young Tyrell Sloan has a post-match meltdown. The poor kid looks totally overwhelmed and you find yourself feeling sorry for him and his team. That’s until you later learn two knuckleheads in Ravalawa and Musgrove have gone out and got sloshed, ending up in a stink outside the team hotel as the sun was coming up. Seriously, when will these boofheads wake up and realise their fans have had a gutful?

If they’d won in Mudgee it might have been a different story. But what did they have to celebrate? At least with such a vocal supporter base it always ensures any dramas are magnified. Which makes them must watch viewing, but most of the time for the wrong reasons.

Dragons : Ranked: 12th​

RANKING: 12
STAR POWER: 4.5
PLAYING STYLE: 5
BOX OFFICE APPEAL: 8
HEROES AND VILLAINS: 8
POTENTIAL FOR DRAMA: 9.5
JERSEYS: 9.5
TOTAL SCORE: 44.5
MOST POPULAR SUPERCOACH PLAYERS: Tyrell Sloan 13%, Ben Murdoch-Masila 10%, Jayden Sullivan 2%

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I think they give this team too much credit. For the entire time Hook has been head coach, he's tried to win games by playing a very negative brand of football. Sometimes the games, even when the Dragons are winning, are hard to watch.

NRL watchability ratings

VERDICT:

Anthony Griffin should petition the NRL to give the Dragons’ 6am kick-offs in the motel carpark this season, at least that way you know they’re going to come fired up and ready for a stink.

The Charity Shield was another typical Dragons train crash, during and after the match. First up they get belted by the Bunnies, then young Tyrell Sloan has a post-match meltdown. The poor kid looks totally overwhelmed and you find yourself feeling sorry for him and his team. That’s until you later learn two knuckleheads in Ravalawa and Musgrove have gone out and got sloshed, ending up in a stink outside the team hotel as the sun was coming up. Seriously, when will these boofheads wake up and realise their fans have had a gutful?

If they’d won in Mudgee it might have been a different story. But what did they have to celebrate? At least with such a vocal supporter base it always ensures any dramas are magnified. Which makes them must watch viewing, but most of the time for the wrong reasons.

MOST POPULAR SUPERCOACH PLAYERS: Tyrell Sloan 13%, Ben Murdoch-Masila 10%, Jayden Sullivan 2%
POTENTIAL FOR DRAMA: 9.5 out of 10.
It's kind of funny.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

NRL watchability ratings

VERDICT:

Watchable for the almost perfect score in potential for drama. Funny🤣