St George Illawarra in 2023

Eric

Staff
Its our depth we really have more depth than most clubs when you look at NRL experience playing in NSW Cup, now the pundits are seeing what I have been seeing for months. Don't forget this new group of 30 haven't played with each other extensively , have had 2 games so barring injuries and suspensions the group as a whole can only improve as the season goes along. I got $5 for top 8 a month ago now you cant get $3, money talks
Depth is our strength. Should get getting as the year goes on due to our depth and due to the fact in theory our young guys should get better as the year progresses.

Eric

Staff

Chopping Block: The biggest names of contract for St George Illawarra Dragons​

As if the 2022 season didn’t offer enough intrigue, the NRL’s open market is set to explode

St George Illawarra Dragons

10 players off-contract

Two biggest names

Jack Bird: The Dragons and Bird have struggled to find common ground during their negotiations. Bird rejected the Dragons offer worth about $500,000 - which the club has since withdrawn. Eels are circling.

Aaron Woods: The veteran has a mutual option regarding his contract for next season. He can trigger the deal automatically if he plays a certain amount of games. Has impressed with his leadership during the pre-season.

Others off-contract: Daniel Alvaro, Billy Burns, Poasa Faamausili, Jackson Ford, Jack Gosiewski, Josh McGuire, Tautau Moga, Tariq Sims.

Bird: I hope he stays for 500k but it seems to me the club has decided he is superfluous to our needs. 500k seems on the low side for a player of his caliber but the club obviously isn't budging. A few very highly regarded backrowers coming though the ranks, probably ready for the NRL next year.

Woods: He was outstanding in the Charity Shield so let's see what happens in the regular season.

Daniel Alvaro: No longer NRL standard.

Billy Burns: Seems on the outer.

Poasa Faamausili: Probably not NRL standard.

Jackson Ford: He might be able to make a go of it with the new rules helping smaller, faster forwards.

Jack Gosiewski: Based on the trails, I've got nothing but praise for him. He's in the 17 now so the ball is in his court.

Josh McGuire: Was also good in the trials but probably time to move on to the ESL.

Tautau Moga: Other than the Feagai's, which other young backs do we have ready for the top 30 next year? (but not already in it). May be worth keeping on minimal money for another year.

Tariq Sims: I'm a big fan but he's obviously on the outer and under this new regime, obviously reputations mean nothing. When he regains a spot in the 17, he'd better fire up big time if he wants another contract at Saints.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Burns is still only 21 or 22. Probably worth keeping as a depth signing. He was okay last year. Was never going to get selected for NSW but didn't look hopeless in the top grade.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Burns is still only 21 or 22. Probably worth keeping as a depth signing. He was okay last year. Was never going to get selected for NSW but didn't look hopeless in the top grade.
Might have been the case if we weren't stacked for second rowers in the squad now and coming through the juniors, almost ready for the top grade.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
It's really tough but it's a business. Club has to do what's best for it.

BIRD’S ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA CONTRACT SAGA TAKES FRESH TWIST

Dragons utility Jack Bird has provided an update on his contract talks, revealing that he didn’t reject the club’s initial offer for financial reasons. The Dragons reportedly offered Bird a contract extension late last year, which was not taken up and then subsequently pulled by the club. Reports recently suggested the Dragons had come to the table with a new two-year deal, but Bird revealed he is yet to see the paperwork.

“Rumours coming out saying that I rejected it because of money, that is far from the truth,” Bird told Channel 9. “The Dragons offered me a deal, they gave me five days to decide and I wasn’t ready to make a decision then, (so) they pulled it off the table. “I didn’t really have a decision to make then, I had to wait until they were ready to offer me another deal.

“To be honest I don’t even know if they’ve offered me another deal (now). There’s rumours saying they’ve offered me a contract, but I haven’t had anything in front of me. “I’ve made it clear I want to stay here, I want to play for the Dragons. Hopefully there is an offer there for me.” Bird revealed he is eyeing a three-year deal that would take him through until he is 30 in 2025.

“Obviously I want some security behind my football,” Bird said. “I’ve had some injuries that have nearly ruined my career, so I just want a little bit of security behind me, and I want to be a part of this club’s future. “I’m turning 27 this week, if I get a three-year deal it will take me to 30. Then I can sit down with my family. “But I still feel my best footy is in front of me. I know I want to do that here at the Dragons.”

The 26-year-old has scored 24 tries in 106 games for the Sharks, Broncos and Dragons since his debut in 2015 and has played five Origins for the Blues.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
It's really tough but it's a business. Club has to do what's best for it.

BIRD’S ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA CONTRACT SAGA TAKES FRESH TWIST

Dragons utility Jack Bird has provided an update on his contract talks, revealing that he didn’t reject the club’s initial offer for financial reasons. The Dragons reportedly offered Bird a contract extension late last year, which was not taken up and then subsequently pulled by the club. Reports recently suggested the Dragons had come to the table with a new two-year deal, but Bird revealed he is yet to see the paperwork.

“Rumours coming out saying that I rejected it because of money, that is far from the truth,” Bird told Channel 9. “The Dragons offered me a deal, they gave me five days to decide and I wasn’t ready to make a decision then, (so) they pulled it off the table. “I didn’t really have a decision to make then, I had to wait until they were ready to offer me another deal.

“To be honest I don’t even know if they’ve offered me another deal (now). There’s rumours saying they’ve offered me a contract, but I haven’t had anything in front of me. “I’ve made it clear I want to stay here, I want to play for the Dragons. Hopefully there is an offer there for me.” Bird revealed he is eyeing a three-year deal that would take him through until he is 30 in 2025.

“Obviously I want some security behind my football,” Bird said. “I’ve had some injuries that have nearly ruined my career, so I just want a little bit of security behind me, and I want to be a part of this club’s future. “I’m turning 27 this week, if I get a three-year deal it will take me to 30. Then I can sit down with my family. “But I still feel my best footy is in front of me. I know I want to do that here at the Dragons.”

The 26-year-old has scored 24 tries in 106 games for the Sharks, Broncos and Dragons since his debut in 2015 and has played five Origins for the Blues.
This was mentioned on another thread. I said:
It's unfortuante if a local junior feels hard done by. I wish it wasn't so but as much as it may hurt, we need to be ruthless. Look at the way Roosters kicked Mitchell Pearce to the curb or how Melbourne got rid of Will Chambers. Penrith sent half a dozen highly rated juniors packing. This is what we need even if it means Jack Bird doing his thing at another club.

His problem is that he's a good player in 4 or 5 different positions but doesn't excel in any. He might excel at lock but we have De Belin for another 2 years after this year. I know Parramatta played Ryan matterson at lock last round but he is on the outer at there so maybe instead of being disappointed, Bird should look at it as a good opportunity.
It's a tough business. Pretty much like any other business but the stakes are much higher.

Eric

Staff
It hasn't been a nice few years for Dragons fans. Really since Bennett left. But imagine how hard it would be to be a Tigers supporter.....

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Interesting article from The Roar

A few good points. A number of bad points.
  • Dropping both Sloan and Amone was really dumb. No doubt. It would have been ok to give one a week to think about their games against Cronulla. As Ramsey was ruled out, it should have been Amone because.......
  • As the article states, Mbye isn't a fullback by any stretch.
  • I don't know what games this author has been watching but Bird hasn't "started the year like a house on fire in the second row". But he is right about Bird shouldn't have been selected 5/8. Second row with Sims or bench.
  • The most baffling selection the author doesn't mention is de Belin on the bench and Sims at lock. Utterly baffling.
  • I didn't realise Blake Lawrie was that bad. When he gets back from suspension, he's going to have some very serious work to do in the NSW Cup.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Interesting article from The Roar

A few good points. A number of bad points.
  • Dropping both Sloan and Amone was really dumb. No doubt. It would have been ok to give one a week to think about their games against Cronulla. As Ramsey was ruled out, it should have been Amone because.......
  • As the article states, Mbye isn't a fullback by any stretch.
  • I don't know what games this author has been watching but Bird hasn't "started the year like a house on fire in the second row". But he is right about Bird shouldn't have been selected 5/8. Second row with Sims or bench.
  • The most baffling selection the author doesn't mention is de Belin on the bench and Sims at lock. Utterly baffling.
  • I didn't realise Blake Lawrie was that bad. When he gets back from suspension, he's going to have some very serious work to do in the NSW Cup.
Those numbers from Lawrie are 'scary bad'.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Harsh but probably fair.

NRL Report Card​

ST GEORGE ILLWARRA DRAGONS

Analysis: The Dragons were tipped to be big movers in 2022 after a strong recruitment drive, but their buys have struggled to make an impact so far this season. The Dragons have only beaten the Warriors twice in their last 14 games as pressure grows on coach Anthony Griffin. His decision to drop young guns Tyrell Sloan and Junior Amone has baffled many experts, particularly because they have only scored over 16 points once this season and both were starting in that game against the Warriors in Round 1. The Dragons have the worst defence in the NRL, which is an area Griffin prides himself on. Calls are growing louder for Ben Hunt to move to hooker and for Sloan, Amone and halfback Jayden Sullivan to combine in the spine. Whether Griffin listens could make or break the Dragons’ season and his coaching future at the club.

Grade: E

Eric

Staff

Worrying stat that could turn NRL finals hopes into a battle for the wooden spoon​

6 rounds in and the cream has risen to the top but, for the teams with two wins or fewer, history says this is a season defining moment.​

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

13th. 2 wins. -57 points differential
You wouldn’t call the Dragons’ victory over the Knights a classic, but two points is two points and it certainly would have given this playing group a huge lift. Now they need to back it up on Anzac Day against a Roosters side that isn’t exactly setting the world on fire but who always get themselves up for this blockbuster event.

I had the Dragons in my top eight to start the season but I’m really starting to question that now. It’s worth noting the Dragons have the NRL’s worst defence after seven rounds, and it will be interesting to see how they handle a Roosters side with so much strike power. Even though the Chooks have been clunky, they are going to get it right at some point.

I know this is hardly news. Everyone here, on the street and in the media are talking about it but:
  1. The defence has gotten worse since Amone and Sloan were dropped, apparently due to their poor defence.
  2. Kerr offers pretty much nothing game after game. I guess the reason he's still in the team is because he makes few mistakes but of course he makes few mistakes if he falls to the ground as soon as the opposition defence lays a finger on him.
  3. What else?
  • Lawrie is ok coming off the bench but I think we have guys on the books who are more than "ok".
  • Sloan and Amone needed a kick up the backside after being the two worst players on the field after the Shonkies game but they have gotten it now.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Worrying stat that could turn NRL finals hopes into a battle for the wooden spoon​

6 rounds in and the cream has risen to the top but, for the teams with two wins or fewer, history says this is a season defining moment.​

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

13th. 2 wins. -57 points differential
You wouldn’t call the Dragons’ victory over the Knights a classic, but two points is two points and it certainly would have given this playing group a huge lift. Now they need to back it up on Anzac Day against a Roosters side that isn’t exactly setting the world on fire but who always get themselves up for this blockbuster event.

I had the Dragons in my top eight to start the season but I’m really starting to question that now. It’s worth noting the Dragons have the NRL’s worst defence after seven rounds, and it will be interesting to see how they handle a Roosters side with so much strike power. Even though the Chooks have been clunky, they are going to get it right at some point.

I know this is hardly news. Everyone here, on the street and in the media are talking about it but:
  1. The defence has gotten worse since Amone and Sloan were dropped, apparently due to their poor defence.
  2. Kerr offers pretty much nothing game after game. I guess the reason he's still in the team is because he makes few mistakes but of course he makes few mistakes if he falls to the ground as soon as the opposition defence lays a finger on him.
  3. What else?
  • Lawrie is ok coming off the bench but I think we have guys on the books who are more than "ok".
  • Sloan and Amone needed a kick up the backside after being the two worst players on the field after the Shonkies game but they have gotten it now.
If Lomax didn't screw up the goal kicking, the win over Newcastle would've been more comfortable. And far from being 'decimated' as was advertised early in the week, Newcastle were almost at full strength.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Pretty slow news-week for the Dragons this week. I guess no news is good news.
  • Jack Bird apparently still hasn't resigned. Dolphins might be well placed to offer him much more than is on offer elsewhere.
  • Speaking of the Dolphins, they signed a good 19 year-old centre from the Dragons. O'Sullivan is regarded as one of the best talent scouts and Bennett not bad either. He must have some serious talent but obviously centres aren't a high priority for the Dragons now.
  • Seemingly everyone agrees even though Dragons got a win last week, long-term the Mbye fullback and Bird 5/8 thing isn't going to do much.
  • That's about it for this week.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
  • Jack Bird apparently still hasn't resigned. Dolphins might be well placed to offer him much more than is on offer elsewhere.
  • Speaking of the Dolphins, they signed a good 19 year-old centre from the Dragons. O'Sullivan is regarded as one of the best talent scouts and Bennett not bad either. He must have some serious talent but obviously centres aren't a high priority for the Dragons now.
  • Seemingly everyone agrees even though Dragons got a win last week, long-term the Mbye fullback and Bird 5/8 thing isn't going to do much.
Things appear to be moving in the right direction. It may have been too early to jump on the hook Hook bandwagon. But the pressure should still be on. He dropped a few players who very few people expected to get dropped. Not a bad thing. Motivate those dropped and keep the rest of the team on their toes. But now that's been done, I think it might be time to give Amone and Sloan another chance. Woods as well.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Yet another analysis I agree with 100%. Which has been very rare until now.

St George Illawarra v Sydney Roosters at SCG, 4pm​

Do Dragons still need a squad refresh?

Absolutely. The club has the highest average squad career games in the NRL at 114 per player. Only Manly (91) and the Roosters (92) are above 90. That should mean the Dragons have an experienced veteran team that’s contending for a title. Afraid not. In actual fact they have plenty of players past their prime and the team will be lucky to be in top-eight contention.

Not only should they play their rising stars more like Jayden Sullivan, Junior Amone and Tyrell Sloan but they should be shipping off some of these older players who are getting in the way. Last week’s win over the depleted Knights shouldn’t change anything on that front.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Yet another analysis I agree with 100%. Which has been very rare until now.

St George Illawarra v Sydney Roosters at SCG, 4pm​

Do Dragons still need a squad refresh?

Absolutely. The club has the highest average squad career games in the NRL at 114 per player. Only Manly (91) and the Roosters (92) are above 90. That should mean the Dragons have an experienced veteran team that’s contending for a title. Afraid not. In actual fact they have plenty of players past their prime and the team will be lucky to be in top-eight contention.

Not only should they play their rising stars more like Jayden Sullivan, Junior Amone and Tyrell Sloan but they should be shipping off some of these older players who are getting in the way. Last week’s win over the depleted Knights shouldn’t change anything on that front.
I agree as well. It's so highly unprofessional that it's likely not true but sometimes it seems to me he is picking certain players only to try to justify his recruitment of said players. Based on form and ability, they shouldn't be in the 17.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Famous last words. I just logged into Fox sports.
  • They are still giving it to Lomax. It's so farcical now, it makes his original sin look funny.
  • Melbourne have definitely signed Sims for next year but want him this year.

Eric

Staff

NRL MID SEASON REPORT CARDS​

Grade: C
Currently: 9th, 6 wins, 6 losses, -73 points differential
Pre-season prediction: 8th
Last year’s finish: 11th

Play a tough and physical brand of footy but just lack that sprinkle of star power, although they do have some young backs with huge potential. The Dragons are about where most expected they would this year, just sitting outside the eight but not really threatening the big guns yet. Did score a gutsy Anzac Day victory over the Roosters but aside from that are yet to beat any other team above them on the ladder. That is the concern because they do have a reasonably tough run home, with seven of 12 games against teams currently in the top eight.

Disagree with "lack star power" remark. Team lacks at least one, possibly 2 good middle forwards. Coach also needs to pick Sims and Su'A as the starting second rowers! Stop f**king around with Sims on the bench or lock! Hooker is also a problem. Mbye is trying hard but he's obviously not a natural #9.

I've said over and over I'm a Ramsey fan but Sloan has to be the fullback sooner rather than later. No problem with dropping him to the NSW Cup for Ramsey in order to get his confidence under the high ball back but when he has that confidence back, we need him in the NRL.

Amone hasn't kicked down the door as I hoped he would in the pre-season but he's coming along.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg

NRL MID SEASON REPORT CARDS​

Grade: C
Currently: 9th, 6 wins, 6 losses, -73 points differential
Pre-season prediction: 8th
Last year’s finish: 11th

Play a tough and physical brand of footy but just lack that sprinkle of star power, although they do have some young backs with huge potential. The Dragons are about where most expected they would this year, just sitting outside the eight but not really threatening the big guns yet. Did score a gutsy Anzac Day victory over the Roosters but aside from that are yet to beat any other team above them on the ladder. That is the concern because they do have a reasonably tough run home, with seven of 12 games against teams currently in the top eight.

Disagree with "lack star power" remark. Team lacks at least one, possibly 2 good middle forwards. Coach also needs to pick Sims and Su'A as the starting second rowers! Stop f**king around with Sims on the bench or lock! Hooker is also a problem. Mbye is trying hard but he's obviously not a natural #9.

I've said over and over I'm a Ramsey fan but Sloan has to be the fullback sooner rather than later. No problem with dropping him to the NSW Cup for Ramsey in order to get his confidence under the high ball back but when he has that confidence back, we need him in the NRL.

Amone hasn't kicked down the door as I hoped he would in the pre-season but he's coming along.
Just on Amone , IMO with Sully at 7 you might just see the best of him (Amone) ...... Hunt to 9 may solve the problems .....

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
The reality is that for us to make the top 8 we have to beat those teams around us at the moment so Souths, Sea Eagles and Raiders. I believe we will squeeze into the top 8 in 8th this season but that I believe will depend how Souths go , I don't believe that the Sea Eagles can make the 8 without TT and the Raiders are a poorer team than we are in depth. So in my view weeks 15 and 16 will most probably decide whether we are good enough to play semi final football this season. Next week game against the high flying Cowboys will be a good indicator, then the season defining games against Souths and Raiders.