St George Illawarra in 2023

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
You idea makes a lot of sense but I'm wondering about the interchange. If the props are Woods, Burgess, Molo, Lawrie all 4 will need a break. So that's 4. JDB will probably need a break if he's going to be in the middle and making super-effective tackles again and again. That's 5. One of the backrowers will need a break under your plan so that's 5. There are 8 total interchanges, aren't there? Keep one up our sleeve in the event of an injury in the backline. That's 6. How would you use the last two?
It should be a rare occurrence unless you have an injury that you would use any of your allocated interchanges from positions 1 to 7. My personal 7th interchange injuries marred would be hooker. That would be my blueprint. If injuries did occur unexpectedly in positions 1 to 7 my contingency plan would be to tell my 80 min players Sua possibly Debelin no break today for you lads pace yourself accordingly.

Eric

Staff
It should be a rare occurrence unless you have an injury that you would use any of your allocated interchanges from positions 1 to 7. My personal 7th interchange injuries marred would be hooker. That would be my blueprint. If injuries did occur unexpectedly in positions 1 to 7 my contingency plan would be to tell my 80 min players Sua possibly Debelin no break today for you lads pace yourself accordingly.
So Mbye on the bench in your 17? I guess as backup hooker, it's a smart move. I think that's what Griffin is thinking as well. Judging by his lengthy interview I posted earlier.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
So Mbye on the bench in your 17? I guess as backup hooker, it's a smart move. I think that's what Griffin is thinking as well. Judging by his lengthy interview I posted earlier.
I believe that is what he was recruited for allows flexibility and any good team has to have flexibility

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I believe that is what he was recruited for allows flexibility and any good team has to have flexibility
With several players in the 17 who can play all or almost all of the 80min (Sims, Su'a, Lawrie, Woods, Bird, McCullough) Mbye should be and almost certainly will be on the bench unless he is overlooked for Sullivan. Personally I'd go with Mbye as he is better than Sullivan in every position except half or 5/8.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
With several players in the 17 who can play all or almost all of the 80min (Sims, Su'a, Lawrie, Woods, Bird, McCullough) Mbye should be and almost certainly will be on the bench unless he is overlooked for Sullivan. Personally I'd go with Mbye as he is better than Sullivan in every position except half or 5/8.
He has two things on his side and thats experience and the ability to play more than 1 position especially if a injury occurs either at hooker or in the backs

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
He has two things on his side and thats experience and the ability to play more than 1 position especially if a injury occurs either at hooker or in the backs
Agree 100%. And he is a very handy player in various positions, not just "passable". He has been massively overpaid but that wasn't his fault. At first I was skeptical. Now I'm starting to think he was a good signing. I believe he is a certainty for the 17 at this stage.

Eric

Staff
The wishful thinking of a Dragons-hating fool here.

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS:

1. Tyrell Sloan

2. Mathew Feagai

3. Moses Suli

4. Zac Lomax

5. Mikaele Ravalawa

6. Talatau Amone

7. Ben Hunt

8. Blake Lawrie

9. Andrew McCullough

10. Jack de Belin

11. Jaydn Su’A

12. Tariq Sims

13. Jack Bird

Bench: 14. Moses Mbye/Jayden Sullivan, 15. George Burgess, 16. Aaron Woods, 17. Josh Kerr

FULL SQUAD

Daniel Alvaro, Junior Amone, Jack Bird, George Burgess, Billy Burns, Jack de Belin, Poasa Faamausili, Mat Feagai, Max Feagai, Jackson Ford, Tyrell Fuimaono, Jack Gosiewski, Ben Hunt, Josh Kerr, Blake Lawrie, Zac Lomax, Moses Mbye, Andrew McCullough, Josh McGuire, Tautau Moga, Francis Molo, Cody Ramsey, Mikaele Ravalawa, Tariq Sims, Tyrell Sloan, Jaydn Su’A, Moses Suli, Jayden Sullivan, Aaron Woods.

Development players: Shalom Oofou, Jonathon Reuben

INJURIES/SUSPENSIONS: Josh McGuire (Round 6)

NOTES: The Dragons upgraded Tyrell Sloan to a full-time contract in January in a sign that the youngster is being groomed to be the club’s fulltime fullback.

He or she is going for smaller guys to start and have bigger guys coming off the bench. That doesn't make any sense to me. Sims, Su'A and Bird in a fight for the backrow. Molo in the 17 before Kerr. JDB second row.

As for the backline, I thought that would be it before I read Coach Griffin's interview. He went out of his way to mention Ramsey. Ramsey will start on the wing in place of Feagai. He had better pull his socks up, figuratively and literally or Feagai will take his place very quickly.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

1. Tyrell Sloan

2. Mathew Feagai

3. Moses Suli

4. Zac Lomax

5. Mikaele Ravalawa

6. Talatau Amone

7. Ben Hunt

8. Blake Lawrie

9. Andrew McCullough

10. Jack de Belin

11. Jaydn Su’A

12. Tariq Sims

13. Jack Bird

Bench: 14. Moses Mbye/Jayden Sullivan, 15. George Burgess, 16. Aaron Woods, 17. Josh Kerr

FULL SQUAD

Daniel Alvaro, Junior Amone, Jack Bird, George Burgess, Billy Burns, Jack de Belin, Poasa Faamausili, Mat Feagai, Max Feagai, Jackson Ford, Tyrell Fuimaono, Jack Gosiewski, Ben Hunt, Josh Kerr, Blake Lawrie, Zac Lomax, Moses Mbye, Andrew McCullough, Josh McGuire, Tautau Moga, Francis Molo, Cody Ramsey, Mikaele Ravalawa, Tariq Sims, Tyrell Sloan, Jaydn Su’A, Moses Suli, Jayden Sullivan, Aaron Woods.

NOTES: The Dragons upgraded Tyrell Sloan to a full-time contract in January in a sign that the youngster is being groomed to be the club’s fulltime fullback.

He or she is going for smaller guys to start and have bigger guys coming off the bench. That doesn't make any sense to me. Sims, Su'A and Bird in a fight for the backrow. Molo in the 17 before Kerr. JDB second row.

As for the backline, I thought that would be it before I read Coach Griffin's interview. He went out of his way to mention Ramsey. Ramsey will start on the wing in place of Feagai. He had better pull his socks up, figuratively and literally or Feagai will take his place very quickly.
He is at least going for 4 props in the 17. Provided he is thinking about Josh Kerr as a prop.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

1. Tyrell Sloan

2. Mathew Feagai

3. Moses Suli

4. Zac Lomax

5. Mikaele Ravalawa

6. Talatau Amone

7. Ben Hunt

8. Blake Lawrie

9. Andrew McCullough

10. Jack de Belin

11. Jaydn Su’A

12. Tariq Sims

13. Jack Bird

FULL SQUAD

This is more proof that for NRL journos, ideas about the St George team are like arseholes.

Baldy McGregor would have taken the opinions of these idiots into account when selecting the team.

This idiot may be just clueless or he may not have gotten the memo that this coach couldn't give a f##k about the team he wants to see picked.

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

1. Tyrell Sloan

2. Mathew Feagai

3. Moses Suli

4. Zac Lomax

5. Mikaele Ravalawa

6. Talatau Amone

7. Ben Hunt

8. Blake Lawrie

9. Andrew McCullough

10. Jack de Belin

11. Jaydn Su’A

12. Tariq Sims

13. Jack Bird

FULL SQUAD

Not quite right in my view in regards to the starting props. You don't recruit Woods, Molo and Burgess not to at least start 2 of them, unfortunately Lawrie cannot be a starter, off the bench, 4 prop rotation Woods/Molo/Burgess/Lawrie, JDB definitely at lock or at very worst partnering Sua in 2nd row with Bird at lock. I think you have the halves combination spot on. Maybe Ramsay on wing for Feagai. Time will tell, cant wait to see what the coach has in mind when we play Parra in our only trial game then 2 weeks later we paly the charity shield against rabbits, that should show us his thinking is and the makeup of the top 17 barring any injuries

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

1. Tyrell Sloan

2. Mathew Feagai

3. Moses Suli

4. Zac Lomax

5. Mikaele Ravalawa

6. Talatau Amone

7. Ben Hunt

8. Blake Lawrie

9. Andrew McCullough

10. Jack de Belin

11. Jaydn Su’A

12. Tariq Sims

13. Jack Bird

FULL SQUAD

My view no, you start your big boppers first because you have to get the upper hand in the middle of the park or at least match the opposition in the first 15 min its imperative, it lays a platform. So more agile players coming off the bench for me. Ramsay will get a start on wing and Bird will get a start in my view as he took one for the team and club last season playing in any position Griffin wanted his to so there will be loyalty there, because of recruitment Id say he wont be playing in the backs this season so looking at lock/2nd row. Its great to have so many options in the engine room this season. Sims is a SOO player but he may find himself as an impact edge forward off the bench if you are going to play Bird. Sua and Debelin especially JDB is a certain starter for me but nowhere near prop this year no reason that's why we recruited 3 of them. So believe it or not I cant find a spot for Ford, Gosiewski, Kerr, Fuiamono, Alvaro or Burns, who would have thought? Mbye needs to be a bench player as utility to cover for hooker/ backs, just my view

Eric

Staff
My view no, you start your big boppers first because you have to get the upper hand in the middle of the park or at least match the opposition in the first 15 min its imperative, it lays a platform. So more agile players coming off the bench for me. Ramsay will get a start on wing and Bird will get a start in my view as he took one for the team and club last season playing in any position Griffin wanted his to so there will be loyalty there, because of recruitment Id say he wont be playing in the backs this season so looking at lock/2nd row. Its great to have so many options in the engine room this season. Sims is a SOO player but he may find himself as an impact edge forward off the bench if you are going to play Bird. Sua and Debelin especially JDB is a certain starter for me but nowhere near prop this year no reason that's why we recruited 3 of them. So believe it or not I cant find a spot for Ford, Gosiewski, Kerr, Fuiamono, Alvaro or Burns, who would have thought? Mbye needs to be a bench player as utility to cover for hooker/ backs, just my view
I must say, I think I agree with that completely.

Eric

Staff
Not quite right in my view in regards to the starting props. You don't recruit Woods, Molo and Burgess not to at least start 2 of them, unfortunately Lawrie cannot be a starter, off the bench, 4 prop rotation Woods/Molo/Burgess/Lawrie, JDB definitely at lock or at very worst partnering Sua in 2nd row with Bird at lock. I think you have the halves combination spot on. Maybe Ramsay on wing for Feagai. Time will tell, cant wait to see what the coach has in mind when we play Parra in our only trial game then 2 weeks later we paly the charity shield against rabbits, that should show us his thinking is and the makeup of the top 17 barring any injuries
I almost completely agree with this but I don't think it's unfortunate if Lawrie has to start off the bench. It's a 17 man game IMO. It would be unfortunate if he finds himself out of the 17 and after round 6, that may be the case. McGuire can also play a long time at a high intensity. Perhaps even the 80min without dropping off a lot and he seems to offer a little more aggression and an offload that Lawrie hasn't until now. So I hope he improves this season specially because he's off contract.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
That is a fuking well thought out message. This is the kind of thing that will give Morgan Morgan fits of jealous rage🤣.

Someone forward it to Griffin please!

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I almost completely agree with this but I don't think it's unfortunate if Lawrie has to start off the bench. It's a 17 man game IMO. It would be unfortunate if he finds himself out of the 17 and after round 6, that may be the case. McGuire can also play a long time at a high intensity. Perhaps even the 80min without dropping off a lot and he seems to offer a little more aggression and an offload that Lawrie hasn't until now. So I hope he improves this season specially because he's off contract.
Definately a game of 17 on 17 these days but most or all prefer to start if they can.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
That is a fuking well thought out message. This is the kind of thing that will give Morgan Morgan fits of jealous rage🤣.

Someone forward it to Griffin please!
It can only be a good thing if there is more than one member who hasn't destroyed too many brain cells via excessive alcohol consumption. More importantly, the post makes a lot of sense. I'm just not sure about Bird starting. There is a lot of competition for the backrow. Su'a and Sims are current Origin backrowers!! That alone shouldn't be enough to stop Bird taking their place but underlines the level of competition for those spots.

As for the 17 the reporter nominated, Josh Kerr may well become the new Corey Norman. i.e. a whipping boy for every loss.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Point taken. As just as an old broken down ex coach I loved players who punched above their weight and ran up the middle of the park even when they knew they were going to be smashed for the sake of their team mates

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Point taken. As just as an old broken down ex coach I loved players who punched above their weight and ran up the middle of the park even when they knew they were going to be smashed for the sake of their team mates
Just as long as getting smashed is in fact in the best interests of teammates. See Dufty last season as an example.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
It can only be a good thing if there is more than one member who hasn't destroyed too many brain cells via excessive alcohol consumption. More importantly, the post makes a lot of sense. I'm just not sure about Bird starting. There is a lot of competition for the backrow. Su'a and Sims are current Origin backrowers!! That alone shouldn't be enough to stop Bird taking their place but underlines the level of competition for those spots.

As for the 17 the reporter nominated, Josh Kerr may well become the new Corey Norman. i.e. a whipping boy for every loss.
Poor comparison. Corey Norman was one of the highest paid players in the competition. Josh Kerr is probably on not much more than a minimum wage.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Poor comparison. Corey Norman was one of the highest paid players in the competition. Josh Kerr is probably on not much more than a minimum wage.
No matter how much or how little he is paid, it wouldn't stop him being blamed for losses. If he is in fact in the 17, which I doubt.