The end of another dissapointing year

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
In general that's right but did you see, I think it was the Cowboys third try last weekend? I think it was the Cowboys second rower ran straight though the McCullough attempted tackle to score under the posts. That happens sometimes. I'm sure it's even happened to JDB once or twice but apparently the only reason McCullough is only in the team due to his excellent defence......
I did and I no longer consider McCullough a 80 min player. God knows why the current coaching staff can't also see this. For me McCullough is a 20 to 25 min 1st half to take the sting out of the opposition pack then rest him and reintroduce him in the 2nd half depending upon the status of the game is. So if in front and protecting your lead last 20 min. His defensive stats although lower than last season are avg 36 a game misses 1.38 a game. That will do me as a coach. At the beginning of any season you set yourself goals, achievable ones that the whole team has to buy into, for me it was 2 missed tackles a game p.p.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
If the coach wasn't infatuated with his career-making Broncos U20s side from 15 years ago, he would have hooked McCullough immediately after that, moved Mbye to hooker and Sloan to fullback. But he didn't and now it's history.
Agree another head scratcher but it's just another example of the players not playing for the coach. We should have taken the 2 points to go 6 behind and that would have erased what was to happen next. Whilst taking the 2 bring on Sloan. But there are smarter people than me

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Agree another head scratcher but it's just another example of the players not playing for the coach. We should have taken the 2 points to go 6 behind and that would have erased what was to happen next. Whilst taking the 2 bring on Sloan. But there are smarter people than me
I'm not sure if Griffin is smarter than you🙄. At least not anymore.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I'm not sure if Griffin is smarter than you🙄. At least not anymore.
Look, speaking from my own experience, when a coach sacks his assistant coaches whilst there still was a faint chance of making the 8 at this time of the season. Then makes those sackings public and taking credit for those sackings, this tells me that we have not only a divided playing group but also support and front office staff. Under these circumstances this club will not be playing semi finals football in the next few years.

Eric

Staff
Amone aside, what else needs to happen before now and the beginning of off season training in order for Griffin not to get hooked? In my humble opinion:
  • Amone improves in attack. That includes specific instructions for Hunt to stop hunting the Dally M medal and delegate more playmaking to Amone.
  • Amone, Hunt and Bird to tackle much better!
  • Bird to lose her beer belly. Or Macca's belly.
  • Stop with the utterly illogical selections! WTF was the lunatic thinking picking Bird as a starting centre when Feagai is in the NSW Cup?
  • Who is going to play hooker next season? Because Macca is finished, done, finito, kaput!
  • Su'A, JDB and Lawrie are the only NRL quality forwards! F. Molo and M. Molo also on a good day. Who are the rest of the pack and bench going to be?
In my view these issues are absolutely vital. Then there are secondary things like Ramsey v Sloan. I think everyone recognizes Sloan has more potential. How can the coach bring that potential to fruition on a regular basis? I like Suli, Rava and the Feagai's but there is a distinct lack of speed in those outside backs. Even Lomax isn't one of the faster outside backs.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Unfortunately under this coach and the current crop of 30 we won't be playing semi finals football in the next few years.

You can see that this particular team is built around Hunt so there will be no changes in the way this team currently structures their attack especially if he is re signed which looks sure to happen.

McCullough under this coach will be the starting hooker next season which leaves Muhleisen in limbo.

No.1 priority is 2 new props that can run the 100m+ consistently and have some size. What I have seen I'd give young Franklin Pele a run currently Sharks but playing with Newtown goes well only 21 yrs old so is a bit young and inexperienced but is 130kg and 190cm because hes not playing 1st's would come cheap, exactly what I'd be looking for.

Alternatively props currently in 1sts off contract look at Royce Hunt, Sharks or young Emry Pere Cowboys.

If we can get 4 forwards running 100m+ consistently that will give the 6 and 7 time to execute the attack then we may see if both are still up to managing the team around the park.

Bird and Lawrie permanent bench players, which under this coach won't happen unfortunately.

I see your issue with the lack of speed in the backs but I know that the Dragons aren't looking at any backs. I know that Rav, Suli, Lomax are certain starters and somehow the Feagai's, Ramsey and Sloan need to fight for the other 2 spots being fullback and winger. I'd suggest and hope the 2 that do miss out can find their way onto the bench on a regular basis.

It's not looking good.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Amone aside, what else needs to happen before now and the beginning of off season training in order for Griffin not to get hooked? In my humble opinion:
  • Amone improves in attack. That includes specific instructions for Hunt to stop hunting the Dally M medal and delegate more playmaking to Amone.
  • Stop with the utterly illogical selections! WTF was the lunatic thinking picking Bird as a starting centre when Feagai is in the NSW Cup?
  • Who is going to play hooker next season? Because Macca is finished, done, finito, kaput!
  • Su'A, JDB and Lawrie are the only NRL quality forwards! F. Molo and M. Molo also on a good day. Who are the rest of the pack and bench going to be?
In my view these issues are absolutely vital. Then there are secondary things like Ramsey v Sloan. I think everyone recognizes Sloan has more potential. How can the coach bring that potential to fruition on a regular basis? I like Suli, Rava and the Feagai's but there is a distinct lack of speed in those outside backs. Even Lomax isn't one of the faster outside backs.
That's a lot to fix in just 7 months‼️

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Can't be fixed under present management. Mark my words you wait until this week's team is announced I'm willing to bet my house this coach will not make any changes unless someone is either injured or suspended. Classic denial.
Good call.
I'm a fan of Su'a but do you see him running hard and bursting through the line as Ben Creagh used to do and as backrowers at the best teams do? Kikau, Kafusi, Crighton (and the other Rorters second rower who did his knee against the Dragons for that matter.), Olakau’atu, Koloamatangi, Whitehead, Nanai all do that but Su'a is more like Beau Scott. Good player but needs a line breaker partnering him in the other second row position.

So add that to your list.

Basically the team needs a complete overhaul.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Good call.

I'm a fan of Su'a but do you see him running hard and bursting through the line as Ben Creagh used to do and as backrowers at the best teams do? Kikau, Kafusi, Crighton (and the other Rorters second rower who did his knee against the Dragons for that matter.), Olakau’atu, Koloamatangi, Whitehead, Nanai all do that but Su'a is more like Beau Scott. Good player but needs a line breaker partnering him in the other second row position.

So add that to your list.

Basically the team needs a complete overhaul.
I feel sorry for him. His stats indicate that he is no line breaker he certainly doesn't have the speed at the moment to become one like the players you have mentioned. By the time he receives the ball Australia Post would have delivered a letter to 2 houses. The service he is getting is so slow and as a result he rarely finds himself 1 on 1. In saying that he's only 24 yrs old and with a dedicated off season of professional sprint training you never know. See these are the types of issues coaches need to identify in individual players and develop in consultation with the player but your right we certainly don't have a kikau type player. Sims was our closest thing but they used him wrongly in my view but now he's gone next season . Mark my words you watch Sims next year with a more professional outfit.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I feel sorry for him. His stats indicate that he is no line breaker he certainly doesn't have the speed at the moment to become one like the players you have mentioned. By the time he receives the ball Australia Post would have delivered a letter to 2 houses. The service he is getting is so slow and as a result he rarely finds himself 1 on 1. In saying that he's only 24 yrs old and with a dedicated off season of professional sprint training you never know. See these are the types of issues coaches need to identify in individual players and develop in consultation with the player but your right we certainly don't have a kikau type player. Sims was our closest thing but they used him wrongly in my view but now he's gone next season . Mark my words you watch Sims next year with a more professional outfit.
I'm not sure any amount of pre season training will make him into that kind of player. I don't mean to be negative on him. I was a huge Beau Scott fan and I see Su'a as a similar kind of player. It's just that the team needs someone like Ben Creagh to compliment him. So add it to the list a decent coach has to fix in the next several months.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I'm not sure any amount of pre season training will make him into that kind of player. I don't mean to be negative on him. I was a huge Beau Scott fan and I see Su'a as a similar kind of player. It's just that the team needs someone like Ben Creagh to compliment him. So add it to the list a decent coach has to fix in the next several months.
As a coach it is incumbent on you to rate your players identify their weaknesses and strengths. Communication ia a key, speak to them see if they share your views on their individual development, know their background. What were they like as a junior, can speed be instilled into their legs and body, are they capable of that type of development, not all are.

Beau Scott and Nev Costigan are legends both tough as teak and enforcers who looked after our playmaker Jamie Soward for 2 yrs to ensure that we were premiers. Ben Creagh believe it or not wasn't considered a hard man in the pack but he didn't need to be he just had to be himself and do his job as you have highlighted. Thats the difference between a good coach and a great coach, a good team and a premiership winning team. It starts at the coach and his assistant's. Look at your roster, see what you need, go get them, and give them, the players, the belief not only in themselves but their team mates. I was there GF 2010 sitting next to the chookpen near halfway. They were quite cocky at half-time but left with 20 min to go to catch the 1st train home. I can die happy.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Unbelieveable! Destroy a kid's confidence by dropping him after one moderate game in the wet. Yet these 'has been' veterans have two even three poor ones on the trot and this nong of a coach continues picking them.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
As a coach it is incumbent on you to rate your players identify their weaknesses and strengths. Communication ia a key, speak to them see if they share your views on their individual development, know their background. What were they like as a junior, can speed be instilled into their legs and body, are they capable of that type of development, not all are.

Beau Scott and Nev Costigan are legends both tough as teak and enforcers who looked after our playmaker Jamie Soward for 2 yrs to ensure that we were premiers. Ben Creagh believe it or not wasn't considered a hard man in the pack but he didn't need to be he just had to be himself and do his job as you have highlighted. Thats the difference between a good coach and a great coach, a good team and a premiership winning team. It starts at the coach and his assistant's. Look at your roster, see what you need, go get them, and give them, the players, the belief not only in themselves but their team mates. I was there GF 2010 sitting next to the chookpen near halfway. They were quite cocky at half-time but left with 20 min to go to catch the 1st train home. I can die happy.
Agree 100% with the bold text.
Agree 100% with the underlined text as well.
Actually I agree 100% with the rest as well:).

That was such a balanced pack. And Bennett got Beau Scott, Costigan, Weyman, Prior off the scrap heap or out of relative anonymity.

This coach thought he was going to be the guru to squeeze another 2 or so good years out of veterans no one else wanted and completely messed it up and has to pay the penalty for that!

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Unbelieveable! Destroy a kid's confidence by dropping him after one moderate game in the wet. Yet these 'has been' veterans have two even three poor ones on the trot and this nong of a coach continues picking them.
I think that sums up the situation absolutely perfectly. Sloan is hooked for the year after a moderately bad game in very difficult conditions while Hook's old veterans have been screwing up the entire year but retain their places week in, week out!!!

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
What a player Benny was. Mr perpetual motion in attack and defense. Thankfully we still have JDB to call on to play that role. As for Sua, has impressed me when he does get the leather and will make us a worthy edge forward.. in mould of Tariq at his best.
As I said, I'm a fan of Su'a. It's just I think he's not the type of player to burst through the defensive line. More like a player who'll just keep truckin and trukin for the entire 80min. Every good team needs a player like him but it also needs forwards who'll burst through the line to compliment him.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Agree 100% with the bold text.
Agree 100% with the underlined text as well.
Actually I agree 100% with the rest as well:).

That was such a balanced pack. And Bennett got Beau Scott, Costigan, Weyman, Prior off the scrap heap or out of relative anonymity.

This coach thought he was going to be the guru to squeeze another 2 or so good years out of veterans no one else wanted and completely messed it up and has to pay the penalty for that!
Agree but the sooner we all acknowledge the fact that because of salary cap issues he had no alternative. I for one am convinced that this is a real issue and as a result I cannot see us being a competitive top 8 team until 2025. Time will tell if I'm wrong, I wish I was but I fear I'm not