The end of another dissapointing year

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
We have three quarters in Ressies crying out for a crack at firsts, yet they are being stopped by Griffin's obsession with the slow poke, unskilled Jack Bird. Ditto McCullogh. The mind boggles at this coach. Other sides must salivate when they see these past it veterans against them every week.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
It's just I think he's not the type of player to burst through the defensive line.
Get him bulked up then he will be imo. He already has the line speed. Tariq was never a big bloke in his early career. Once he put on some kilos he improved markedly.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Agree but the sooner we all acknowledge the fact that because of salary cap issues he had no alternative. I for one am convinced that this is a real issue and as a result I cannot see us being a competitive top 8 team until 2025. Time will tell if I'm wrong, I wish I was but I fear I'm not
Let's amicably disagree about salary cap problems or lack of:).

Eric

Staff
We have three quarters in Ressies crying out for a crack at firsts, yet they are being stopped by Griffin's obsession with the slow poke, unskilled Jack Bird. Ditto McCullogh. The mind boggles at this coach. Other sides must salivate when they see these past it veterans against them every week.
Sticking with Bird, Mbye, McCullough over Max Feagai, Sloan and Muhleisen is astonishing stuff! At least with Connor Muhleisen, he should have been given a chance by now. Long before now. It should have happened in the first week he was available. I think after Round 10.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
salary cap issues
Who is responsible for scrappy number crunching for this to happen. IMO it goes back to the knee jerk reaction to sign a half then offer him $1m plus a year, when firstly, we probably could not afford that and secondly, the player in question was not worth it. We could have gotten two fairly decent players for the same price.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Let's amicably disagree about salary cap problems or lack of:).
Like your language. Just reading the local GC Bulletin newspaper that is suggesting the Dragons don't have the financial clout to re sign Hunt on the money he wants to end his career, and both now the Dolphins and believe it or not the Titans are attempting to sign him up for 2024. Titans want him to partner Foran. If that happens then we will have our answer whether we have an issue or not.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Sticking with Bird, Mbye, McCullough over Max Feagai, Sloan and Muhleisen is astonishing stuff! At least with Connor Muhleisen, he should have been given a chance by now. Long before now. It should have happened in the first week he was available. I think after Round 10.
Agree

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Who is responsible for scrappy number crunching for this to happen. IMO it goes back to the knee jerk reaction to sign a half then offer him $1m plus a year, when firstly, we probably could not afford that and secondly, the player in question was not worth it. We could have gotten two fairly decent players for the same price.
Yep. The only way it's true is if Burgess, Woods, Burns, Mbye, McCullough, McGuire are on big money rather than the minimum wage they couldn't even get elsewhere.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
My understanding is that it was previous management and coach McGregor

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
the Dolphins and believe it or not the Titans are attempting to sign him up for 2024.
The Gold Coast too I am reading. They are trying to lure the Rockhampton native back home. To be brutally honest I dont mind if he is poached as it frees up our salary cap and gives some of our juniors a crack and allows us to buy a top tier prop, allowing JBD to return to his home at lock.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Like your language. Just reading the local GC Bulletin newspaper that is suggesting the Dragons don't have the financial clout to re sign Hunt on the money he wants to end his career, and both now the Dolphins and believe it or not the Titans are attempting to sign him up for 2024. Titans want him to partner Foran. If that happens then we will have our answer whether we have an issue or not.
I don't buy that about lack of financial clout. WIN Corp is a billion $ + business and the Dragons leagues club was never in financial trouble. The bought out Illawarra side of the franchise was dragging the finances down. Unless WIN corp and Craig Young and his old boys are looting the finances.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Ok so let me enlighten everyone on this forum how things worked in my day and I have no reason to believe that it has changed greatly to this day. Every club has a ranking system, I.e. 1 - 5, 6 - 10, 11- 15 that's all we had in my day.

So players ranked 1 - 5 were considered your most valuable and paid players. So I would suggest to you that the avg 1 - 5 in any team would be between 800k - 950k. If that is the case can you see how easy it would be exceed salary cap especially when bonus payments are paid for players 18 - 30. Thus not allowing their selections to 1sts.

Does anyone know what is the avg salary? or if this grading is still used?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I don't buy that about lack of financial clout. WIN Corp is a billion $ + business and the Dragons leagues club was never in financial trouble. The bought out Illawarra side of the franchise was dragging the finances down. Unless WIN corp and Craig Young and his old boys are looting the finances.
You misunderstood and I probably used the wrong term. What I just read was that they can only offer Hunt an extension of his contract at a reduced price because of salary cap issues, so he wont be on anythinglike the 1.12m he will be on in 2023. I'm not sure if the GC Bulletin is a News Ltd or Murdoch media paper, time will tell. It looks like we are both set on our views on this salary cap trouble.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Ok so let me enlighten everyone on this forum how things worked in my day and I have no reason to believe that it has changed greatly to this day. Every club has a ranking system, I.e. 1 - 5, 6 - 10, 11- 15 that's all we had in my day.

So players ranked 1 - 5 were considered your most valuable and paid players. So I would suggest to you that the avg 1 - 5 in any team would be between 800k - 950k. If that is the case can you see how easy it would be exceed salary cap especially when bonus payments are paid for players 18 - 30. Thus not allowing their selections to 1sts.

As I said yesterday, I don't know details about the salary cap. I only compare what DT reported about Dragons salary cap issues with 2 of our 3 highest players compared to other clubs, apparently not having salary cap trouble.

If it is true about salary cap issues, this coach and recruitment team have breathtakingly messed up. It would mean Burgess, Woods, Burns, Mbye, McCullough, McGuire are on big money when no other club even wanted to pay a minimum wage for them. So either way, no excuses.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
You misunderstood and I probably used the wrong term. What I just read was that they can only offer Hunt an extension of his contract at a reduced price because of salary cap issues, so he wont be on anythinglike the 1.12m he will be on in 2023. I'm not sure if the GC Bulletin is a News Ltd or Murdoch media paper, time will tell. It looks like we are both set on our views on this salary cap trouble.
It's a News LTD paper.
I would think Hunt can't get the same money because he is nearing the end of his career and even in his prime, wasn't worth that much.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Not Mary and our recruitment and retention teams finest moment to sign Hunt on that kinda money. Also not retaining Gareth Widdop too, as things turned out the Englishman must have been torn over staying with our club or returning to the 'old dart'. As I understand it, his wife and kids wanted to stay here but left with Widdop who had agreed to join Warrington, think it was. They were home sick for Australia and returned here while he remained in England to play out the season. By the time Widdop too had realized his mistake in leaving his adopted country he returned here, then tried to reconnect to our club but we rejected him....

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Bonuses are usually paid for players being selected in rep teams. And I don't mean Tonga or Fiji but NSW, QLD, NZ, Australia. Something the Dragons haven't had to worry about this year except for Hunt.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Bonuses are usually paid for players being selected in rep teams. And I don't mean Tonga or Fiji but NSW, QLD, NZ, Australia. Something the Dragons haven't had to worry about this year except for Hunt.
Must have changed then. I can assure you that in my days reserve to 1st was always paid a bonus

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
It's a News LTD paper.
I would think Hunt can't get the same money because he is nearing the end of his career and even in his prime, wasn't worth that much.
I agree but unless he is overruled, Hook will sign Hunt for 1.2 mil or more.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Must have changed then. I can assure you that in my days reserve to 1st was always paid a bonus
I think they are also paid bonuses for first grade but several of the players we want picked have already played first grade! So it can't apply to them! The only one as far as I can see we want picked who hasn't yet played first grade is Connor Muhleisen. And Connor Muhleisen is on a development contract! Which means he's available to be picked within the salary cap.

Let's amicably disagree about salary cap issues. Salary cap trouble or not, there is no reason for the coach not to go to other players in the top 30 who haven't miserably failed multiple times. The poor idiot honestly believes this is the best team available to him.