The end of another dissapointing year

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I agree with your assessment in regards to the forwards not reaching the advantage line consistently. That does directly affect your halves. It cuts down their time to assess and create that then affects your backline because it means that they line up much flatter in attack. My real issue here is the inability of both our halves in defence as of round 19 Hunt was rated 1 and Amone 8 in most missed tackles between them they miss close to 9 tackles a game. Now as a coach that clearly indicates that the opposition game plans revolve around attacking us on both edges of the ruck knowing that 9 times a game they are going to create try scoring opportunities or make major ground to set up the rest of their attacking structures and options. Now if they are successful on 50% of those 9 occasions per game to score well that's 4 tries if converted that's 24 points. On average the Dragons have conceded 23 points a game this season. Can you see the correlation between the two sets of facts? Last season we conceded 25.5 points a game so we have only improved by 2.5 points which equates to a conversion kick. Last year we finished 11th this year again most likely 11th. Forwards and defence win games. Until we improve in these 2 key statistics we will not be able to play semi finals football in the next few years. As I have said consistently in my experience forwards win games the backs determine by how much.
JoDragon is smart but I tell you, his long messages without any paragraph breaks aren't easy on the eyes.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I agree with your assessment in regards to the forwards not reaching the advantage line consistently. That does directly affect your halves. It cuts down their time to assess and create that then affects your backline because it means that they line up much flatter in attack. My real issue here is the inability of both our halves in defence as of round 19 Hunt was rated 1 and Amone 8 in most missed tackles between them they miss close to 9 tackles a game. Now as a coach that clearly indicates that the opposition game plans revolve around attacking us on both edges of the ruck knowing that 9 times a game they are going to create try scoring opportunities or make major ground to set up the rest of their attacking structures and options. Now if they are successful on 50% of those 9 occasions per game to score well that's 4 tries if converted that's 24 points. On average the Dragons have conceded 23 points a game this season. Can you see the correlation between the two sets of facts? Last season we conceded 25.5 points a game so we have only improved by 2.5 points which equates to a conversion kick. Last year we finished 11th this year again most likely 11th. Forwards and defence win games. Until we improve in these 2 key statistics we will not be able to play semi finals football in the next few years. As I have said consistently in my experience forwards win games the backs determine by how much.
Hard to read but when one does it, it makes a lot of sense.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
..and that is what Amone is doing.. albeit slowly. I can tell you he certainly has learned to step. He is magic on his feet.
Look I don't personally dislike the player. What I am saying is that in critiquing his performances I really rely on what I observe the player is doing when I watch a game live. Now on the occasions in the last 2 seasons I have done so I note the players strengths and weaknesses just as I did 30 yrs ago. What I want to see is how the player reacts under pressure and duress when the game is gone or his performance has been sub standard. I look then for improvements in those areas of concern and also note whether his strengths are being also affected either positively or negatively. You can tell and learn a lot about a player when he is not involved in the play. What he is doing, his body language, does he communicate with his team mates on field, is he taking the initiative and becoming involved even though the ball is over the other side of the field. So I don't criticise players because I am sitting on the lounge drinking pass. I look for those improvements unfortunately I have not witnessed any from young Amone which would suggest to me that I reinvest any more money and time trying to build a team around him . Just my views.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
No need to apologise. Maybe it's just me.
No it's me, I'm too passionate, I love my footy, I love my club and it is distressing to me to see year after year our inability to recruit, retain, and provide a training and coaching structure that would enhance the players and teams performance. I learnt my trade from an old knockabout coach he use to refer to me as peacock. He said son you can talk the talk but can you walk the walk or are you just a peacock showing off your feathers and mesmerising everyone with your bullshit. I don't need a bullshit artist or a peacock as my assistant. Stuck with me rightly or wrongly.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Look I don't personally dislike the player. What I am saying is that in critiquing his performances I really rely on what I observe the player is doing when I watch a game live. Now on the occasions in the last 2 seasons I have done so I note the players strengths and weaknesses just as I did 30 yrs ago. What I want to see is how the player reacts under pressure and duress when the game is gone or his performance has been sub standard. I look then for improvements in those areas of concern and also note whether his strengths are being also affected either positively or negatively. You can tell and learn a lot about a player when he is not involved in the play. What he is doing, his body language, does he communicate with his team mates on field, is he taking the initiative and becoming involved even though the ball is over the other side of the field. So I don't criticise players because I am sitting on the lounge drinking pass. I look for those improvements unfortunately I have not witnessed any from young Amone which would suggest to me that I reinvest any more money and time trying to build a team around him . Just my views.
Of course! I don't think any Dragons fans dislike any Dragons players! Even notable "good guys" like Josh McGuire or Corey Norman before him. Some are critical of the performances because we want them to do better, win games and be rewarded for their good form with selection in rep teams and etc. Not because we don't like one particular player.

Your criticism of Amone is absolutely justified. I just disagree about dropping him now. Now the season is pretty much done and dusted. He has to fix his defence and the staff have to ensure he does it. Remember how Sowie's defensive abilities developed? Under this coaching regime, Amone's defence has gone the other way!

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Of course! I don't think any Dragons fans dislike any Dragons players! Even notable "good guys" like Josh McGuire or Corey Norman before him. Some are critical of the performances because we want them to do better, win games and be rewarded for their good form with selection in rep teams and etc. Not because we don't like one particular player.

Your criticism of Amone is absolutely justified. I just disagree about dropping him now. Now the season is pretty much done and dusted. He has to fix his defence and the staff have to ensure he does it. Remember how Sowie's defensive abilities developed? Under this coaching regime, Amone's defence has gone the other way!
I remember JS there was talk about ditching him because of his inability to defend. Thank God that St Benny came along and was able through his coaching style to improve JS and develop a game plan to protect and support him. He knew JS was good enough to build a premiership winning team around. The same cannot be currently said about young Amone or the coach.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

You know being a coach at any level is a tough gig. Some coaches distance themselves from their players some want to be BBQ mates. The balance is trying to become a coach that fits in between the two . WB build relationships with his players and encourages players to be best mates on and off the field. So when the opposition was targeting Soward players like Nev Costigan and Beau Scott took it personally. History tells us the rest of that story.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
May be right but remember he is still 19, isn't he? Or just turned 20?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Turned 20 in April but in principle, he still has time on his side. Though if they are sticking with him, needs to show a lot of improvement from the trails next year.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
As I indicated in another post in my view if he hasn't learnt to tackle before making 1sts it's going to take intensive training to bring him up to speed. That indicates to me he wasn't ready for 1sts initially. If I was coach I would ask JDB can you please help me and provide additional weekly 1 on 1 training with Amone and teach him your tackling technique because without it we can't make semi finals and I need an honest assessment from you whether he can reach a level of defence that means instead of missing 4.5 tackles a game can we reduce that to 1.5 or 2 a game. However I'm not the coach and there are smarter people than me running around as asst coaches.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
As I indicated in another post in my view if he hasn't learnt to tackle before making 1sts it's going to take intensive training to bring him up to speed. That indicates to me he wasn't ready for 1sts initially. If I was coach I would ask JDB can you please help me and provide additional weekly 1 on 1 training with Amone and teach him your tackling technique because without it we can't make semi finals and I need an honest assessment from you whether he can reach a level of defence that means instead of missing 4.5 tackles a game can we reduce that to 1.5 or 2 a game. However I'm not the coach and there are smarter people than me running around as asst coaches.
Amone can't tackle like JDB. Not ever. He'll dislocate his shoulders on a regular basis. Better have someone like Lomax help him out. Lomax is hardly a dwarf either but closer to Amone than JDB. Or how about Mybe making himself useful? I thought his defence is pretty good. Not so much in the forwards, in the thick of the action, but when he plays in the centres or halves.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Amone can't tackle like JDB. Not ever. He'll dislocate his shoulders on a regular basis. Better have someone like Lomax help him out. Lomax is hardly a dwarf either but closer to Amone than JDB. Or how about Mybe making himself useful? I thought his defence is pretty good. Not so much in the forwards, in the thick of the action, but when he plays in the centres or halves.
I always used my best tackler with the best technique. I disagree with you on that point. Technique doesn't relate to energy in a tackle it's how to use the energy to your advantage ensuring you dont injure yourself or place yourself in a position to hurt yourself. I used JDB as an example because he has the best technique but I would also use McCullough because he doesn't miss tackles and has a different technique. Amone needs to have his own tackling technique based upon your better tacklers in your team. In my view using Lomax would be a wrong move based solely upon the type of player Lomax is tackling, the players running at Amone and Hunt are edge forwards unlike Lomax who deals predominantly with backs. Told you coaching is a tough gig it's not black and white.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I always used my best tackler with the best technique. I disagree with you on that point. Technique doesn't relate to energy in a tackle it's how to use the energy to your advantage ensuring you dont injure yourself or place yourself in a position to hurt yourself. I used JDB as an example because he has the best technique but I would also use McCullough because he doesn't miss tackles and has a different technique. Amone needs to have his own tackling technique based upon your better tacklers in your team. In my view using Lomax would be a wrong move based solely upon the type of player Lomax is tackling, the players running at Amone and Hunt are edge forwards unlike Lomax who deals predominantly with backs. Told you coaching is a tough gig it's not black and white.
In general that's right but did you see, I think it was the Cowboys third try last weekend? I think it was the Cowboys second rower ran straight though the McCullough attempted tackle to score under the posts. That happens sometimes. I'm sure it's even happened to JDB once or twice but apparently the only reason McCullough is only in the team due to his excellent defence......

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
McCullough would also work but wouldn't Mbye be even better?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
In general that's right but did you see, I think it was the Cowboys third try last weekend? I think it was the Cowboys second rower ran straight though the McCullough attempted tackle to score under the posts. That happens sometimes. I'm sure it's even happened to JDB once or twice but apparently the only reason McCullough is only in the team due to his excellent defence......
I'm sure some of them, like JDB, Lomax and Hunt wanted to say to Macca, "You had one job!"

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I'm sure some of them, like JDB, Lomax and Hunt wanted to say to Macca, "You had one job!"
If the coach wasn't infatuated with his career-making Broncos U20s side from 15 years ago, he would have hooked McCullough immediately after that, moved Mbye to hooker and Sloan to fullback. But he didn't and now it's history.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
It would help if the forwards were going forward a little more. Against Manly I think he played his best game all year.
Totally agree. And I said the same in an earlier post. Pleased I have an ally with Junior. Pity jodragon40, specially, does not share our view.