The World Cup Games Thread.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I chose Tino as our edge man as I reckon he'd be terrific. Has good pace and some ball skills for a big man.
So where do you wanna play that quartet? Can not see Mal starting with Nanai.
Tino one prop. Maybe RCG another with J. Turbo and Carrigan on the bench as middle forwards. Murray starting at lock.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
As good a performance as that was.. we can do better imo. I am leaving out Yeo and Martin. I want Carrigan, Tino and RGC to get more mins. Grant is my #1 hooker. Our attack is very stop start, not a lot of structure from our halves. Munster has to get more involved and for gods sake man pass the ball more. Cleary has not lived up to expectation. Needs a biggie in the final. Give him long and wide goal kicking practice too. Tell Mitchell to stay in his position and on his man not come inside and create space for the opposition.
Leaving out Yeo seriously? In my humble opinion he is the best 2nd rower running around closely followed by Murray. That was a gutsy win against a quality opponent. That game should have been the final. Evenly matched packs meant in reality individual brilliance was the difference in the end. Hunts kick for the fox was a standout for me and Mitchell's strength to get over the line. Because the packs were so even this cut down the time the playmakers had. I thought Cleary ran the ball a lot more than usual. Munster was below par but only because his time was cut in half, as for Grant well I expected more from him but the Kiwis game plan made sure he really didn't have the room to move out off dummy half. Kiwis well coached and had a very good game plan. I don't rate Meninga as a coach.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Leaving out Yeo seriously? In my humble opinion he is the best 2nd rower running around closely followed by Murray. That was a gutsy win against a quality opponent. That game should have been the final. Evenly matched packs meant in reality individual brilliance was the difference in the end. Hunts kick for the fox was a standout for me and Mitchell's strength to get over the line. Because the packs were so even this cut down the time the playmakers had. I thought Cleary ran the ball a lot more than usual. Munster was below par but only because his time was cut in half, as for Grant well I expected more from him but the Kiwis game plan made sure he really didn't have the room to move out off dummy half. Kiwis well coached and had a very good game plan. I don't rate Meninga as a coach.
I agree Yeo is a good player but he's a lock, not a 2nd rower. As is Murray.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
If Yeo is a lock then his defense should not be piss poor. Compare him with our own JBD who hits his man under the rib cage. Yeo seems reluctant to go low and enjoys instead going in above the waist and holding his man until help arrives. I dont fault his offensive play as he like, Jack likes to get involved in back line play making. But he is a big dude so needs to use his size hitting it up more. He does not excite me as Tino and Carrigan do. Meninga needs to give both more game time in the final.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
If Yeo is a lock then his defense should not be piss poor. Compare him with our own JBD who hits his man under the rib cage. Yeo seems reluctant to go low and enjoys instead going in above the waist and holding his man until help arrives. I dont fault his offensive play as he like, Jack likes to get involved in back line play making. But he is a big dude so needs to use his size hitting it up more. He does not excite me as Tino and Carrigan do. Meninga needs to give both more game time in the final.
That's true about Yeo's defence compared to JDB but almost everyone in the competition is a poor defender compared to JDB. I'd rate JDB and J. Turbo the two best front on defenders in the competition.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Tino is a very good prop. Not so sure about Carrigan. I know he's had a good year but not sure if he'll be able to back it from the next several years.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I acknowledge that we don't see eye to eye on a few things but seriously in regards to Yeo you are wrong. The stats show in 22 Yeo avg 39 tackles a game missed 1.3 tackles a game. That placed him 15th out of 400 in the tackling stats and 202nd in the missed tackles. Compare him to JDB and as a coach JDB would be the 1st forward I would select every week he avg 33 tackles and missed 1.63 per game so if you rate JDB as I do the stats clearly indicates Yeo is just as good in defence as JDB . In saying that JDB has the best tackling technique of the two. Credit where credit is due I always say.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I acknowledge that we don't see eye to eye on a few things but seriously in regards to Yeo you are wrong. The stats show in 22 Yeo avg 39 tackles a game missed 1.3 tackles a game. That placed him 15th out of 400 in the tackling stats and 202nd in the missed tackles. Compare him to JDB and as a coach JDB would be the 1st forward I would select every week he avg 33 tackles and missed 1.63 per game so if you rate JDB as I do the stats clearly indicates Yeo is just as good in defence as JDB . In saying that JDB has the best tackling technique of the two. Credit where credit is due I always say.
Stats are often misleading but those stats are seriously good. I don't know if Jo Dragon has a different opinion but I feel defensive stats might be more accurate than attacking stats. I think try assists and line break assists are particularly problematic stats.

On the subject, I meant to get up to watch the last game but actually forgot about it. I think I was up early enough to watch the second half if I hadn't forgotten. So I'm wondering how Ben Hunt's defence has been in the middle?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
JDB also hits hard. It's rare for someone who pulls off big hits on a regular basis not having a lot of missed tackles. Look at Radley for an example of this.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
That's true about Yeo's defence compared to JDB
Jack is the best while Teo is one of the worst lock defenders I have seen. That was what I was alluding to.

Has anyone mentioned the boilover by Samoa. Always good to see the Poms rolled. Yet to see the game. How did our boys Jayden Sua and Matt Feagai go. I tipped Samoa to be the WC dark horse btw but we will be too mobile and classy as we have already played our biggest match and won it.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Did I notice a headline that Cleary admitted he has under performed at this WC. I agree he has. So has his halves partner Munster. So expecting big games from this pair in the final and for our star studded back line to run rampant.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Jack is the best while Teo is one of the worst lock defenders I have seen. That was what I was alluding to.

Has anyone mentioned the boilover by Samoa. Always good to see the Poms rolled. Yet to see the game. How did our boys Jayden Sua and Matt Feagai go. I tipped Samoa to be the WC dark horse btw but we will be too mobile and classy as we have already played our biggest match and won it.
I didn't see the game. I expected England to win by at least 30.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Yeo is just as good in defence as JDB .
Depends what you class as defense. I admit I have not seen much of Yeo nor did I check his stats. My comments were purely based on what I have seen him do in this world cup. If he has made a low round the pins tackle then I missed it. What I have seen him constantly do is wait for the man to run at him grab and hold him until assistance arrives. That to me does not constitute a clean tackle and no sole credit should be given.Yet it goes into the stats.
I feel defensive stats might be more accurate than attacking stats.
I think defensive stats are just as problematic as explained last post. Additionally is a player judged to have made a tackle if he is second/third into that tackle. To me that is assisting when the actual first into the tackle should be awarded the credit. But, as stated only if it a full blooded effort to put him on the turf and not just halt his progress. I know it is a fine line. Call me pedantic but I like class defenders like JDB who dont need assistance to nail his man.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Depends what you class as defense. I admit I have not seen much of Yeo nor did I check his stats. My comments were purely based on what I have seen him do in this world cup. If he has made a low round the pins tackle then I missed it. What I have seen him constantly do is wait for the man to run at him grab and hold him until assistance arrives. That to me does not constitute a clean tackle and no sole credit should be given.Yet it goes into the stats.

I think defensive stats are just as problematic as explained last post. Additionally is a player judged to have made a tackle if he is second/third into that tackle. To me that is assisting when the actual first into the tackle should be awarded the credit. But, as stated only if it a full blooded effort to put him on the turf and not just halt his progress. I know it is a fine line. Call me pedantic but I like class defenders like JDB who dont need assistance to nail his man.
I must admit, I haven't watched enough of him to agree or disagree but if this is true, a lock shouldn't do that!

I rated JDB above him but now JDB is north of 30 and hasn't come back to the NRL quite as good as when he left it. But I also think Murray is a better lock than Yeo.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Watched a replay of Samoa/England semi this morning. The Pacific Islanders wont be a pushover as they always had the measure over England. Just that the Poms found ways to stay in the game. It turned out a thriller with Samoa winning it with a Stephen Crighton field goal in extra time.

Last edited: