The World Cup Games Thread.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Someone remind me why this club released Tim Lafai. He was among Samoa's best and he is now no spring chicken.. but just as good as when he played for us. We will also need to keep a close eye on Jarome Luai as he has an elusive step, much like our Talatau Amone. Jayden S'ua went fine with his combination of wide running and solid defense. Matt Feagai must not have made the 17.
Didn't see the game but if Lafai had a good game, it's surprising. Played for us for, was it 3 seasons, and had literally about 2 good games in that period. His best game by far was the semi final against the Broncos. Gave James Roberts a bath.

And if Lafai was chosen ahead of Feagai, it's very disappointing.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Then I was watching a different Lafai to you for those three years. I reckon he was under rated and gave value to the RedV..
I'm with RedV01 RedV01 on this one. He was such a plodder, it was painful to watch. He was picked up off the NRL scrapheap by the Dragons and went right back there when the Dragons decided not to offer him a new deal. Though I can remember more than one or two good games. He played a few good games but nowhere near enough.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Tim Lafai has been named in the Best WC 13. Sorry I dont agree with either of you when he played for us. Many many times he pulled off similar plays to what he has done in Samoan colors in this World Cup.
Notice our much vaunted halves pairing were off the voting list too.
Joey Manu may have gotten the best fullback gong but that was for beating up on the minnows. In the one that mattered to the Kiwis, the semi against the Roos, we kept the big back quiet with his only decent run made in the closing stages when we missed a simple one on one tackle and almost handed them the win..

Eric

Staff
Tim Lafai has been named in the Best WC 13. Sorry I dont agree with either of you when he played for us. Many many times he pulled off similar plays to what he has done in Samoan colors in this World Cup.
Notice our much vaunted halves pairing were off the voting list too.
Joey Manu may have gotten the best fullback gong but that was for beating up on the minnows. In the one that mattered to the Kiwis, the semi against the Roos, we kept the big back quiet with his only decent run made in the closing stages when we missed a simple one on one tackle and almost handed them the win..
That was Jordan Rapana wasn't it? I missed which two Australian guys it was but Rapana ran straight through them as if they weren't even there.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
That was Jordan Rapana wasn't it? I missed which two Australian guys it was but Rapana ran straight through them as if they weren't even there.
If memory serves, Rapana made the first break and then Manu followed it up.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
That was Jordan Rapana wasn't it
Manu took the next pass and sprinted 40m. Then the Kiwis messed up a certain late try. Those two that missed Rapana had clocked off early. They both need a severe tongue lashing from Mal.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Wonderkid Joey Suaalii is another danger man for us in the final. Every time he touched the ball against the Poms he looked like he was about to do something exciting. His defense was solid too. Australia has a special talent in this kid, as I feel sure he will pull on the Kangaroo jumper in the future. He will take the place of Teddy who is about to hit 30.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
Looks like Australia are going to run away with this one. Really should have been an Australia-NZ final.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Yes our Kangaroos retain our world champion status with a solid win in the final!!!!
Congrats to Samoa for making the final and doing their nation proud.

We have taken better sides to a world cup than this one yet the indomitable Roo spirit stood tall even with a player down for 10 in the second half.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
You sat up to watch it Eric Eric. Too late or was it too early for this old fart. Just watched the presentation now will catch the full replay later to savor our threepeat.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
This 24 deserve all the accolades but we can only imagine how much better we'd have been this WC had we had Tommy Turbo and Kalyn Ponga in our back line and Payne Haas in the engine room. I expect those three will be in the Roos jumper in '25 for the next WC. Meanwhile, IRB can you give Mal his wish of more international footy to make up for the dearth over past three years. An Ashes has to be convened asap, how about holding it here for a change. There should also be a Southern Hemisphere tournament similar to the hemisphere tournaments in Rugby Yawnion.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
This 24 deserve all the accolades but we can only imagine how much better we'd have been this WC had we had Tommy Turbo and Kalyn Ponga in our back line and Payne Haas in the engine room. I expect those three will be in the Roos jumper in '25 for the next WC. Meanwhile, IRB can you give our boys some more international footy. An Ashes has to be convened asap, how about holding it here for a change. There should also be a Southern Hemisphere tournament similar to the hemisphere tournaments in Rugby Yawnion.
One of Tom Trbojevic, Ponga, Mitchell and Tedesco would have to miss out.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup

A double dose by the Aussies with the Jillaroos, emulating the Kangaroos in winning the World Cup.​

The girls were clinical, dominating every facet of play in a scintillating 54-4 thrashing of the Kiwi Ferns.

Last edited: