The World Cup Games Thread.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Also comical our coaching staff using Lindsay Collins as the Kiwi big man in training drills yet leaving the Blues prop out of the match. I have to say that compared to the Kiwis we sure lack size in the pack.. If we tackle like we did in last game the Kiwis will run all over us. Yeo and our forwards need to hit the bigger Kiwis under the rib cage instead of grabbing and trying to hold on while our little blokes need to cut em down at the ankles. Our halves must feed our back line often as that is where our strike power lies. If we fail to do these two things the Kiwis will win by plenty.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Something about 'starting with Hunt for the tuff stuff, then bring on Grant'. I think having a fresh more skillful Grant coming off the bench is a smart move. Watching Hunt try to take on man mountain Asofa-Solomona will be comical. Chuckled over his comment when asked how he'd handle the big Kiwi "As a small player I always get asked who's the hardest to defend, and (Asofa-Solomona) is always in my top three,". This is coming from the worse defender in the NRL.
I know it's out of fashion these days but I still think it's better to have a hooker who stays on for 80min.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Also comical our coaching staff using Lindsay Collins as the Kiwi big man in training drills yet leaving the Blues prop out of the match. I have to say that compared to the Kiwis we sure lack size in the pack.. If we tackle like we did in last game the Kiwis will run all over us. Yeo and our forwards need to hit the bigger Kiwis under the rib cage instead of grabbing and trying to hold on while our little blokes need to cut em down at the ankles. Our halves must feed our back line often as that is where our strike power lies. If we fail to do these two things the Kiwis will win by plenty.
Apparently they are favourites for most bookmakers. I think they definitely have better forwards so if Jo Dragon's phrase about how forwards win games and backs decide by how much remains accurate, I think the bookmakers are right.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Apparently they are favourites for most bookmakers. I think they definitely have better forwards so if Jo Dragon's phrase about how forwards win games and backs decide by how much remains accurate, I think the bookmakers are right.
I'm going to tip Australia by 10.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Missed the first 20, bugger. Mixed up the start time.

The Fox lives up to his name with a flying leap and steal for the Roos first.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
That Kiwi try just before lemons may knock the stuffing out of us. Where was the sliding defense that allowed their winger clear air. Tedesco beaten pointless. Out of position also for their second.

Carrigan has been our best. Play him for 80. Wighton best back. Worst players Martin and Yeo. Martin only got a Blues and Roos gig because he was in the best team. Does Yeo ever tackle and take up the ball with impact. Certainly does not offload.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
Good game. International games, at least between Aus and NZ are almost like Origin games these days. NZ still lack depth. CNK for example was playing in the NSW Cup for Canberra most of last season.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
As good a performance as that was.. we can do better imo. I am leaving out Yeo and Martin. I want Carrigan, Tino and RGC to get more mins. Grant is my #1 hooker. Our attack is very stop start, not a lot of structure from our halves. Munster has to get more involved and for gods sake man pass the ball more. Cleary has not lived up to expectation. Needs a biggie in the final. Give him long and wide goal kicking practice too. Tell Mitchell to stay in his position and on his man not come inside and create space for the opposition.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
As good a performance as that was.. we can do better imo. I am leaving out Yeo and Martin. I want Carrigan to play 80 mins and RGC to get more mins. Grant is my #1 hooker. Our attack is very stop start, not a lot of structure from our halves. Munster has to get more involved and for gods sake man pass the ball more. Cleary has not lived up to expectation. Needs a biggie in the final. Give him long and wide goal kicking practice too. Tell Mitchell to stay in his position and on his man not come inside and create space for the opposition.
I missed the game but I hear you regarding Martin in particular. If he were playing for a weak team, he wouldn't even be considered for NSW or Australia.

Eric

Staff
Then mate with respect, you have not seen all that many internationals.
How many internationals have you seen with 2 very good teams relatively evenly matched in the last 20 years?
I missed the game but I hear you regarding Martin in particular. If he were playing for a weak team, he wouldn't even be considered for NSW or Australia.
I guess it's an area Australia are really lacking in at present. Crighton is a no-brainer but apart from him, seems most of the other good edge backrowers are playing for NZ, England, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Martin spent more time out in the three quarters than in the middle doing the hard yards. There was one occasion when he actually took a pass meant for the wing then crawled up the sideline. Has no skill and his defense is shoddy.