The World Cup Games Thread.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
A 22 year-old hooker who couldn't get into the Storm's top 30.
The article said Storm made an offer to keep both due to the investment they had made in them. Yet Haele sounds like another reject. So the brother is an outside back. Article did not say his position. Both offered DCs.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
This Finau signing, may be the final nail in the coffin to retain Sam Hooper. Unless Young can talk him around like the other two kids he is gonna attract some outside offers.
It really seems apart from Amone, the club doesn't rate any of the young players at the club. maybe Hooper will never make it in first grade. Who knows? All I can say is that in Jersey Flegg, he excelled.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Seems I derailed the thread. I found this inspirational.

Up til July this year Greek Rugby League was not even recognized by its government so its players were unable to hold games on Greek soil. Imagine the battle it must've had to make qualifying for the WC. It has now become the Greek Rugby League Federation, and how is this for dedication to their nation and their sport. All players are part-timers and have taken leave without pay to play in the CUP, yet they have forgone any personal payment, instead are putting it all into the GRLF coffers where it will help grow the game in their nation. So in time the current 8 home grown national squad players will double even triple for future WCs.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Finally got to see the full replay of the Roos v Scotland match. Hard to play poorly when you score 15 against your opposition, yet Yeo and Martin lacked involvement, Jake Turbo impact. Was impressed with Collins and Carrigan while Hunt did one or two good things but Grant clearly the pick of the hookers. Cleary had a terrific first 40, Munster the same for the final 40. Teddie was quiet. Graham got all the play on his side while Holmes was starved. Burton was also rather quiet but he did feature in one magical play when he leapt over the side line, at same time scooping the ball back to JAC who chipped ahead and scored for his fourth..
If Tyrell Sloan plays wing next year he could do worse than base his game on JAC as both have similar skills. Ten more kilos and I can see much of the Roos winger in Tyrell. One will have to change their nickname as Sloan is also known as the 'fox'.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Talatau Amone was heavily involved in the Tongan win over Wales from the 20 mins I saw. He made several handy stepping runs, some neat short kicks, while his passing game is certainly improving as he even picked up one try assist with a sweet pass that put the scorer outside his man. Good signs going forward for Junior. Moses Suli did not play as far as I know..

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Tongan coach Kristian Wolff is having a profound impact on Junior's all round game. Watched the full replay of Tonga /Wales match this morning and what I am seeing here, take note jodragon, is his willingness to be more involved in all facets. In the first 15 mins I saw his chip kick almost leading to a try, a long cut out pass, ditto. But guys what excites me most was one grass cutter that almost certainly saved a try, then a few minutes later he dived then rolled the ball carrier onto his back to save a certain four pointer. He was solid for the remainder of the game. We will see a more confident Talatau Amone starting next season to the one that started last.
It's promising but we need to see it against strong teams.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Wales matched the Tongans up till two minutes before half time with Amone's try assist , another and then the first four pointer after the break deflated the Welsh. Junior could have run more than he did if there was one negative part of his game.
He'll do well under a decent coach.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
A bit cool tonight, fair crowd in attendance the Italians trying hard but running out of steam towards the end of the first half it's 20 zip 4 tries with 7 to go but the Roos aren't playing that well

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Liked the look of
Who were the stars and what is your 17 for the pointy end.
Our pack. Definitely Cleary over DCE, Hunts kicking game may get him a start over Grant. Mitchell when he becomes involved was very dangerous and of course Tedesco. But the opposition was 2nd grade so no real excitement, they tried hard but it's the fitness levels and of course the skill set that sets the top teams apart. I thought our mistake rate was too high, need to fix that in a hurry

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Liked the look of

Our pack. Definitely Cleary over DCE, Hunts kicking game may get him a start over Grant. Mitchell when he becomes involved was very dangerous and of course Tedesco. But the opposition was 2nd grade so no real excitement, they tried hard but it's the fitness levels and of course the skill set that sets the top teams apart. I thought our mistake rate was too high, need to fix that in a hurry
Not sure it really matters who starts at 9 and who starts on the bench. It's usually a game of 17 these days. Grant will play more min at hooker.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Not much time for Yeo or Martin rest of the pack yes. Campbell-Gillard needs to lift and start using his extra size. Like to see Tino on the edge tearing up defenses. I'm bringing in Collins for him as our second starting bookend. Agree Cleary at half, disagree, Grant starting hooker. Hunt was barely sited last game. I also like the enthusiasm of Nanai. He is on my bench.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Not much time for Yeo or Martin rest of the pack yes. Campbell-Gillard needs to lift and start using his extra size. Like to see Tino on the edge tearing up defenses. I'm bringing in Collins for him as our second starting bookend. Agree Cleary at half, disagree, Grant starting hooker. Hunt was barely sited last game. I also like the enthusiasm of Nanai. He is on my bench.
Even if Hunt starts, Grant will spend more time at hooker. Though I'm not sure what the benefit of starting with Hunt is.