2024 squad and best 17

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Has been a disappointment over the last 2 years anyway. Did Griffin tell him he has to become a much better ball player to compliment Hunt's running game? If so, that's ok but it shouldn't have been at the expense of his running game. And his defence was often almost as bad as Sloan's.
Don't think he was ever going to become the great player we hoped he would become a couple of years ago but I think he could still become a good 5/8. Similar to Dylan Brown at Parra.

RedVictory

SGI Jersey Flegg
“There’s young kids that I won’t name to avoid putting pressure on them but the boys from Manly, they’re both ready to go after injuries last year.”

Sounds like Flanno is impressed with Tuitavake and Fifita.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Every Forward Pack Rated​

DRAGONS — D+

Predicted pack

Props: Blake Lawrie and Hame Sele
Hooker: Jacob Liddle
Backrowers: Jaydn Su’A and Dan Russell/Jack Bird
Lock: Jack Bird/Jack de Belin

The Dragons have added one player to this forward pack for 2024, with Hame Sele likely starting in the front row alongside Blake Lawrie. Experienced Storm forward Tom Eisenhuth is likely starting off the bench, but will be a key man under Shane Flanagan.

Meanwhile, Jacob Liddle once again takes up his spot in the No.9 jersey, with the backrow and lock spots up for grabs. Jack de Belin could start in the No.13 jersey, but that depends on talented forward Jack Bird. Bird has made it clear he wants to play in the centres, but could also be utilised at lock or in the backrow under Flanagan. No NRL fan can doubt his quality and the Dragons need him firing to push for finals in 2024.

Jaydn Su’A is a lock to start on an edge and he could be partnered by Bird of Dan Russell who had a breakout season in 2023. As it stands, the make-up of the Red V forward pack could change drastically, which could spark a huge shift in statistical output. The Dragons ran for the fourth least of any team per game in 2023, tallying only 660.29 running metres.

Meanwhile, they had the worst try involvements per game of forwards with only 2, however did make up for it by recording the second most support and decoy efforts with 46.63.

The part about Bird pushing JDB out of the starting 13 shows this bloke has no idea what he is talking about. Imagine Bird defending in the middle from kickoff! Other than that, seems like a decent analysis.

And if anyone wants to know, this is rated the worst pack in the competition by the good people at Fox Sports.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
DRAGONS predicted pack:

Props:
Blake Lawrie and Hame Sele (Fifita)

Backrowers: Jaydn Su’A and Dan Russell/Jack Bird (Sele/ Tuitavake)

This is Fox predictions. Sickening the way they gush over the 'quality ' of Jack Bird.

Our website has Sele as a lock. At 102k he is hardly prop size. Fifita gives us the size we need in the engine room. I want Tuitavake in the 17, pref starting..

Who will be on our bench. Bird will be in our 17.
??
Bird, T Couchman, Frank Molo/Tuitavake, Mike Molo/Russell/Eisenhuth, .
BMM? Plenty to choose from.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
DRAGONS predicted pack:

Props:
Blake Lawrie and Hame Sele (Fifita)

Backrowers: Jaydn Su’A and Dan Russell/Jack Bird (Sele/ Tuitavake)

This is Fox predictions. Sickening the way they gush over the 'quality ' of Jack Bird.

Our website has Sele as a lock. At 102k he is hardly prop size. Be fine anywhere in the back row. I dont wanna see Bird anywhere near centre, 5/8 or lock. I'd start Tuitavake and Fifita.

Who will be on our bench.
??
Frank Molo
Mike Molo/Russell/Eisenhuth
Bird.
Much better but I really hope Shereb or Egan ends the year as the first choice backrower with Su'a. Bird will surely be on the bench. His versatility is his greatest strength.

Eric

Staff
13. JDB
12. Su'A
11. ????
10. Lawrie
9. Liddle
8. Fifta or Tuitavake (I hope)

14. Bird
15. F. Molo
16. Sele
17. M. Molo
I just think the game these days is 17 on 17. I'd start Lawrie on the bench and F. Molo at 10. Still give Lawrie as many or more minutes but just don't have him there for the opening exchanges.

Eric

Staff

Dragons extend Suli​

The Dragons have confirmed the extension of Moses Suli, re-signing the exciting centre for an additional three years. The new contract will see Suli stay put at the club until at least the end of the 2027 season, having first joined the Dragons ahead of their 2022 campaign.

“We’re glad to be able to secure Moses for a further three seasons,” said Dragons head coach Shane Flanagan. “He’s a powerful, mobile centre whose best football is still in front of him and he will be a key part of our backline over the coming years.”

Ok. So what are the plans for Tamale?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Dragons: Sign big names for 2025​

Without wanting to write off the 2024 campaign for the Red V, there is little doubt Shane Flanagan's first season in charge isn't going to be all sunshine and rainbows for the joint-venture.

The club have already missed out on a number of key players for 2025 following the likes of Addin Fonua-Blake and Thomas Dearden signing contracts recently, but there are still names off contract.

They need Joseph Manu more than just about any club have needed a signing in recent times, while Heilum Luki has also toured the club. The Red V simply must keep an ear to the ground and follow any and all leads if high-profile players become available, as tends to happen.

The market right now looks somewhat skinny in terms of elite talent for 2025, but if one thing is for sure in the NRL, it's that contracts are barely worth the paper they are written on, so hope still remains for Flanagan and his recruitment staff.

If Sloan goes well, no need for Manu. Signing Luki would be good.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Ran into a bloke yesterday at Coolangatta wearing Dragons shorts. Looked fairly relaxed . I was wearing my old red v members baseball cap. Gave him a wry smile and he returned the same. Bloke goes by the name Flanagan. I said " Good luck". He said " Thanks". He usually spends his Xmas up here.