2024 squad and best 17

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Article in the RT. Not even worth sharing. More of the same nonsense about Kyle Flanagan and this bloke from the Warriors being good signings. They do mention Tamale, Fifita and Tuitavake pushing for first grade. Left out Finau who will surely start the year on the wing. Nominated Bird on the bench, Ryan Couchman in the backrow and Toby on the bench.

Everyone is wondering if one or both Couchmans are going to be in the middle or on an edge. Most people I know say they are good in both positions but better in the middle.

Bottom line is, I don't think the DT has any idea at all.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Article in the RT. Not even worth sharing. More of the same nonsense about Kyle Flanagan and this bloke from the Warriors being good signings. They do mention Tamale, Fifita and Tuitavake pushing for first grade. Left out Finau who will surely start the year on the wing. Nominated Bird on the bench, Ryan Couchman in the backrow and Toby on the bench.

Everyone is wondering if one or both Couchmans are going to be in the middle or on an edge. Most people I know say they are good in both positions but better in the middle.

Bottom line is, I don't think the DT has any idea at all.
Finau is still on modified contact can't see him getting a start.
Couchys have always played edge at this stage they are better egde players than middles, but both could end up better middles especially if we get long minutes out of them.
DT forward bench looks close but BMM was injured at training so can't see him in 17.
Interestingly the last opposed session before the break the line up was
Sloan
Allan
Suli
Zac
Rava
Bird
Hunt
I haven't seen a session this year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240105_133046_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240105_133046_Samsung Internet.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Couchys have always played edge at this stage they are better egde players than middles, but both could end up better middles especially if we get long minutes out of them.
DT forward bench looks close but BMM was injured at training so can't see him in 17.
Sloan
Allan
Suli
Zac
Rava
Bird
Hunt
Isn't Finau on the top 30?

Eric

Staff
Sloan
Allan
Suli
Zac
Rava
Bird
Hunt
Allen is probably even slower than Feagai. Can't the club promote or use the money saved not getting any of the big names it was after to poach a winger or two faster than the average backrower?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I don't think Bird deserves the hate as a 5/8. He's certainly not the best 5/8 but I think might be an adequate fill in.
In my humble opinion it's not hate
Allen is probably even slower than Feagai. Can't the club promote or use the money saved not getting any of the big names it was after to poach a winger or two faster than the average backrower?
In my view the facts are that at the moment we lack the necessary size in the bookends to make the metres on a consistent basis in the middle of the park, our current backline would be on average be the slowest speed wise in the league. I have very little doubt that Tamale will play 1st grade this year if eligible. He has been outstanding since coming over from that other game and has speed to burn. Statistically when your team has those two ingredients apart from individual brillance with ball in hand we wont be scoring many tries from inside our own half, basically I believe most tries will come from kicks or errors by the opposition within their own red zone. Those two facts together would indicate a finishing position no higher than 12th and more likely no higher than 15th and hopefully not wooden spooners. Just my views based on my own experiences and makes me very sad to say any of this. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
In my humble opinion it's not hate

In my view the facts are that at the moment we lack the necessary size in the bookends to make the metres on a consistent basis in the middle of the park, our current backline would be on average be the slowest speed wise in the league. I have very little doubt that Tamale will play 1st grade this year if eligible. He has been outstanding since coming over from that other game and has speed to burn. Statistically when your team has those two ingredients apart from individual brillance with ball in hand we wont be scoring many tries from inside our own half, basically I believe most tries will come from kicks or errors by the opposition within their own red zone. Those two facts together would indicate a finishing position no higher than 12th and more likely no higher than 15th and hopefully not wooden spooners. Just my views based on my own experiences and makes me very sad to say any of this. I hope I'm wrong.
Unfortunately sounds right.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Sloan
Allan
Suli
Zac
Rava
Bird
Hunt
If Finau wasn't going to be pushing for a spot on the wing this year, why did the club hand him his debut last year? Because
  1. Sloan has talent
  2. Allen is a journeyman, fringe first grader only ok in the centres or fullback where his lack of speed isn't such a liability.
  3. Suli runs straight and hard. Not much else.
  4. Lomax is a good player. Nothing bad to say about him.
  5. Rava is the same Suli but just can't judge when to come in or stay out in defence. Lets in more tries than he scores.
  6. Bird is a good utility. Should only be 5/8 if the starting 5/8 gets injured during the game.
  7. Hunt believes in his own legend
This on the other hand might not be going to win us the comp this year but it has speed and skill and 3 months for the coaching staff to make sure the defence is up to scratch.
  1. Sloan
  2. Finau
  3. Tamale
  4. Lomax
  5. Rava: a speedy centre, winger and fullback makes up for his lack of it.)
  6. Volkman: We've all seen what Bord and Flanagan are capable of at 5/8. They've been around for years. I'd like to see what this bloke can do.
  7. Hunt

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
If Finau wasn't going to be pushing for a spot on the wing this year, why did the club hand him his debut last year? Because
  1. Sloan has talent
  2. Allen is a journeyman, fringe first grader only ok in the centres or fullback where his lack of speed isn't such a liability.
  3. Suli runs straight and hard. Not much else.
  4. Lomax is a good player. Nothing bad to say about him.
  5. Rava is the same Suli but just can't judge when to come in or stay out in defence. Lets in more tries than he scores.
  6. Bird is a good utility. Should only be 5/8 if the starting 5/8 gets injured during the game.
  7. Hunt believes in his own legend
This on the other hand might not be going to win us the comp this year but it has speed and skill and 3 months for the coaching staff to make sure the defence is up to scratch.
  1. Sloan
  2. Finau
  3. Tamale
  4. Lomax
  5. Rava: a speedy centre, winger and fullback makes up for his lack of it.)
  6. Volkman: We've all seen what Bord and Flanagan are capable of at 5/8. They've been around for years. I'd like to see what this bloke can do.
  7. Hunt
Agree. But I'd go a step further:
  1. Sloan
  2. Finau
  3. Tamale
  4. Suli
  5. Ravalawa
  6. Lomax
  7. Hunt
I know the lack of ball players seems frightening but give Zac a few weeks, I think he could make the transition. If only Flanno snr wasn't first and foremost looking out for Flanno jnr.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Sloan
  2. Finau
  3. Tamale
  4. Suli
  5. Ravalawa
  6. Lomax
  7. Hunt
I know the lack of ball players seems frightening but give Zac a few weeks, I think he could make the transition. If only Flanno snr wasn't first and foremost looking out for Flanno jnr.
Good thing about this backline would be if someone rushed in to cut off the play but missed, there's a good chance of cover being able to get across to stop the other team from scoring. As is, it's only a question of weather it'll be 4 or 6 against us.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Sloan
  2. Finau
  3. Tamale
  4. Suli
  5. Ravalawa
  6. Lomax
  7. Hunt
Maybe in the last few rounds this year, when Dragons are out of contention for the finals. It won't do anyone any good to just throw Zac in there without quite a bit of training.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
If Finau wasn't going to be pushing for a spot on the wing this year, why did the club hand him his debut last year?
I didn't say he wouldn't be pushing for a spot.
He is a rookie with one NRL game and has had a limited pre season while recovering from shoulder surgery.
I don't think he is in the running for round one selection, but maybe that will change.
I loved to see him get a chance, I'd also like to see Volkman at 7 and Hunt at 6 but I'm not the coach so thats irrelevant.

I just posted what I know and have seen.
There's still 6 weeks to trails a lot can change.
As I said I haven't watched this year's sessions, I've just got back from country tour I'm just about to catch up on the 3 days.

DragonsTragic

SGI Jersey Flegg
He is a rookie with one NRL game and has had a limited pre season while recovering from shoulder surgery.
I don't think he is in the running for round one selection, but maybe that will change.
I loved to see him get a chance, I'd also like to see Volkman at 7 and Hunt at 6 but I'm not the coach so thats irrelevant.

As I said I haven't watched this year's sessions, I've just got back from country tour I'm just about to catch up on the 3 days.
Appreciate your factual updates, telling us what you see and hear, not just taking a guess at what might be going on. Look forward to more as we get closer to trials.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Thanks for the update.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

I've been informed that Flanagan has been speaking a lot with Lomax trying to work out how to get the ball in his hands more. It just may be injuries barring a very good season for him as an individual.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I've been informed that Flanagan has been speaking a lot with Lomax trying to work out how to get the ball in his hands more. It just may be injuries barring a very good season for him as an individual.
As long as it's not just catch and pass and then, good luck beating 3 defenders Zac.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg

Sorry that came out wrong. I wasn't doubting your info at all. I was doubting the brains of the selection committee or Flanno personally.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I was with Zac and his family before Xmas, he is very upbeat about this season. Said everyone at training is going hard moral is high, best he has seen it.
He gets on well with Flanno and is close with Billy Millard. I can see Zac having a much greater role on and off the field over the next few years.