2024 squad and best 17

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I think except for 5/8, and it's not as if Junior was a superstar last year anyway, the team next season will be much better.
Jo Dragon really knows what he is talking about but I think it's fair to call him a glass half empty kind of person. Or maybe just honest with himself.

It's a good point. I don't have much confidence in Kyle Flanagan but not as if Amone has ever set the world on fire. I actually preferred Sullivan at 5/8.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Hamish Stewart - Who is he?
Tall 13, has skill, may have gotten a leg up from dad Scotty
Hayden Buchanan - Saw the Aus schoolboys game on here. Was it this bloke bloke who came off the bench? Might be a very good 5/8 in 2025.
Rep centre, played edge for Gerringong
Jett Liu - ?
Decent player, can't see him in top 30.
Kade Reed -
Clever 7, looked good so far in pre season, still too small, will have 2 years of ball to improve.
Jacob Webster - I've heard the name but
Similar to Lawrie and Coric, more skills.

Also Train and Trial
Ben Rumble 6"⁵ FB Winger
Jake Halangahu to join in new year.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Clever 7, looked good so far in pre season, still too small, will have 2 years of ball to improve.

Also Train and Trial
Ben Rumble 6"⁵ FB Winger

You are a Dragons Lair legend!

Eric

Staff

Also Train and Trial
Ben Rumble 6"⁵ FB Winger

Apart from Egan, who do you think is most likely for NRL next year?

More skills than Coric? That guy exudes skill, IMO. A little too much for my liking. I'd like props to spend less time doing chip kicks for himself and ball playing for more just running hard, hitting the defence, then looking for an offload.

Eric

Staff

Also Train and Trial
Ben Rumble 6"⁵ FB Winger

Excellent footwork for such a big bloke! Like Jesse Bromwich in his prime!

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Our friend jodragon40 won't like that:ROFLMAO:
No Way Family GIF

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Jo Dragon really knows what he is talking about but I think it's fair to call him a glass half empty kind of person. Or maybe just honest with himself.

It's a good point. I don't have much confidence in Kyle Flanagan but not as if Amone has ever set the world on fire. I actually preferred Sullivan at 5/8.
My glass is usually full, well for a few minutes anyway. I'm an honest kind of guy, call it as I see it. Until we have a decent bookends rotation you can splash the cash on any playmaker it won't matter. Playmakers no matter how good they are need time and room to execute attacks or play eyes up football. I've always said Lawrie is the kind of player I'd certainly have and need but he's never going to be that prop that eats up the metres consistently enough not by himself anyway. Another long season. As I have said consistently since I joined this forum 2025 will be a season to look forward to if we have the engine room. Time will tell if I'm right, but I can't remember being wrong

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Apart from Egan, who do you think is most likely for NRL next year?

More skills than Coric? That guy exudes skill, IMO. A little too much for my liking. I'd like props to spend less time doing chip kicks for himself and ball playing for more just running hard, hitting the defence, then looking for an offload.
No prop I ever coached did chip kicks and played again. There is no big secret to having a consistently successful team. The 17 players need to understand their roles, each should have no more than 2 jobs as not to overload them or confuse them. Once you know those roles and jobs then work on your individual skillset to achieve a 1st grade standard on a consistent basis, you are never ever going to have the best players in every position thats not the way it works. If everyone does and understands their jobs and roles within that 17 man squad then you are on a pathway to building success. That's when a good coach and conditioning team can help make a difference.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
We need 2 big boppers, if we can get a 3 prop rotation that has size, then just then we may be able to avoid another disastrous season.
2 Couchmans? Probably both start the season around 110kg. Unless Flanno wants them lighter.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
No prop I ever coached did chip kicks and played again. There is no big secret to having a consistently successful team. The 17 players need to understand their roles, each should have no more than 2 jobs as not to overload them or confuse them. Once you know those roles and jobs then work on your individual skillset to achieve a 1st grade standard on a consistent basis, you are never ever going to have the best players in every position thats not the way it works. If everyone does and understands their jobs and roles within that 17 man squad then you are on a pathway to building success. That's when a good coach and conditioning team can help make a difference.
jodragon40 jodragon40 is back in form(y)

It's ok developing skills and using them in the lower grades but no chip kicks for Josh in first grade.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Yep

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Haha nar mate I'm just trying to give the best information I have.
If I give an opinion on a junior I would of seen them play 20 games plus.
If i provide information its from what I've seen first hand or told directly.
Signing info is always hard it's never 100% until NRL signs off.
Apart from Egan, who do you think is most likely for NRL next year
I thnk Coric will get a shot, with Molos JDB and BMM and others off contract we need to know what Coric can handle.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Iset Co

I thnk Coric will get a shot, with Molos JDB and BMM and others off contract we need to know what Coric can handle.
Isn't Coric a lock/backrower? FFS Am I just plain stupid? or has the game moved on and I'm a dinosaur? What don't the powers to be understand? The game is much quicker now than in my day. But even in my day it was simple. Props get us over the advantage line, lower your body mass, don't run upright. Land on your guts get up play the ball quickly. We NEED PROPS. Rant over.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Iset Co

Isn't Coric a lock/backrower? FFS Am I just plain stupid? or has the game moved on and I'm a dinosaur? What don't the powers to be understand? The game is much quicker now than in my day. But even in my day it was simple. Props get us over the advantage line, lower your body mass, don't run upright. Land on your guts get up play the ball quickly. We NEED PROPS. Rant over.
He could play lock but more suited to being in the front row.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
He could play lock but more suited to being in the front row.
I apologise I thought that he was a lock/ backrower. If we are talking about the same player I'm sure he didn't lace up the boots last season. Didn't he do his acl pre season.? He is on a development contract only? He won't be playing 1st grade this season if thats the same player I'm thinking of. I can safely say the the 1st choice props this coming season barring injuries will be Lawrie/Sele according to my source.

Eric

Staff

Give JDB one more year. 2 Couchmans, Lawrie and JDB isn't bad.

But I get what jodragon40 jodragon40 is talking about. Still lacking one really big and good prop to get sets off on the front foot.