2024 squad and best 17

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Iset Co

Isn't Coric a lock/backrower? FFS Am I just plain stupid? or has the game moved on and I'm a dinosaur? What don't the powers to be understand? The game is much quicker now than in my day. But even in my day it was simple. Props get us over the advantage line, lower your body mass, don't run upright. Land on your guts get up play the ball quickly. We NEED PROPS. Rant over.
Wow OTT
I apologise I thought that he was a lock/ backrower. If we are talking about the same player I'm sure he didn't lace up the boots last season. Didn't he do his acl pre season.? He is on a development contract only? He won't be playing 1st grade this season if thats the same player I'm thinking of. I can safely say the the 1st choice props this coming season barring injuries will be Lawrie/Sele according to my source.
And again.
I wasn't talking about who would be the starting props I was asked who might be given a shot.
"He won't be playing FG this season because he is a development player" big call....
R Couchman Sione Finau Connor Muhleisen development list and Dan Russell T&T all played FG this year.
It's a long season and just my opinion no source.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Wow OTT

And again.
I wasn't talking about who would be the starting props I was asked who might be given a shot.
"He won't be playing FG this season because he is a development player" big call....
R Couchman Sione Finau Connor Muhleisen development list and Dan Russell T&T all played FG this year.
It's a long season and just my opinion no source.
Wasn't having a go. As a retired broken down 2nd grade coach from the 90s it just bemuses me how clubs try to complicate the simple game of RL. I was no genius but the basics of the game although much quicker haven't really changed that much.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Give JDB one more year. 2 Couchmans, Lawrie and JDB isn't bad.

But I get what jodragon40 jodragon40 is talking about. Still lacking one really big and good prop to get sets off on the front foot.
Mind you in saying that we have hopefully the next big thing in the props department young fella by name of Loka Tonga , a few years away but my sources tell me he may be just as good as Haas at the same age. Fingers crossed

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I apologise I thought that he was a lock/ backrower. If we are talking about the same player I'm sure he didn't lace up the boots last season. Didn't he do his acl pre season.? He is on a development contract only? He won't be playing 1st grade this season if thats the same player I'm thinking of. I can safely say the the 1st choice props this coming season barring injuries will be Lawrie/Sele according to my source.
He did do his ACL in the pre-season last year. He's built like Lawrie but bigger and faster. Don't know about tougher or how is stamina is. I guess we will find out soon enough.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
He did do his ACL in the pre-season last year. He's built like Lawrie but bigger and faster. Don't know about tougher or how is stamina is. I guess we will find out soon enough.
Yep I have had a look at his weight, size, in my opinion not big bodied enough to be a prop forward that we are desperately looking for

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Yep I have had a look at his weight, size, in my opinion not big bodied enough to be a prop forward that we are desperately looking for
Often times the stats listed are way out of date. I think you'll find after spending a whole season working on strength, he's much bigger than listed.
Just a Mug Fan Just a Mug Fan, how is Coric looking? Big enough to make it in first grade?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Often times the stats listed are way out of date. I think you'll find after spending a whole season working on strength, he's much bigger than listed.
Just a Mug Fan Just a Mug Fan, how is Coric looking? Big enough to make it in first grade?
Now this is just my personal opinion. The poor young fella did his acl now that's not a good thing to happen, in the way the game has become so much faster. Now he's young enough, obviously talented enough but for me too big a risk. I hope I'm wrong and he turns out to be a hidden gem but I have my doubts. Maybe Just a Mug Fan Just a Mug Fan has seen him recently at training and can provide a better description of the young fella

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Now this is just my personal opinion. The poor young fella did his acl now that's not a good thing to happen, in the way the game has become so much faster. Now he's young enough, obviously talented enough but for me too big a risk. I hope I'm wrong and he turns out to be a hidden gem but I have my doubts. Maybe Just a Mug Fan Just a Mug Fan has seen him recently at training and can provide a better description of the young fella
I have doubts too but I think he's a chance. Like a decent chance. I agreed with your comment that props should be concentrating on doing their job, not chipping and chasing for themselves.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I have doubts too but I think he's a chance. Like a decent chance. I agreed with your comment that props should be concentrating on doing their job, not chipping and chasing for themselves.
Poor bloke will never live that down. I didn't see it but heard about it. I think the story went that he regathered and scored. Don't know the circumstances. Maybe they were 30 points ahead with 3min left to play. Maybe the halftime or fulltime siren had already sounded. He's big, fast and skillful. Doesn't mean he will make it in the NRL (see Josh Kerr) but he's every chance.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
PLAYERS IN: Kyle Flanagan (Bulldogs), Hame Sele (Rabbitohs)

Kyle Flanagan - who was recruited as a hooker - will play in the halves alongside Ben Hunt, with Dragons incumbent No. 6 Amone stood down as he awaits sentencing after being found guilty of a string of assault charges.

Amone is facing jail time and will be sentenced on December 6, and best case scenario he’ll receive a lengthy suspension from the NRL.

“The plan was to transition Kyle into a No. 9 over the next couple of years but he’ll have to stay in the halves for a little bit, which I’ve got no problems with,” Shane Flanagan said.

“I’ve always thought Kyle’s style with Benny Hunt will work perfectly because Benny is a runner, so he’ll get a shot there.

“The narrative around Kyle has changed a little bit, he’s come here as a 14 from a 6, 7 and 9 and now he’s going to have to play in the halves a little bit more.”
I'm just wondering, WTF is it about Kyle Flanagans game that made the club think he'd make a good hooker?

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
PLAYERS IN: Kyle Flanagan (Bulldogs), Hame Sele (Rabbitohs)

Kyle Flanagan - who was recruited as a hooker - will play in the halves alongside Ben Hunt, with Dragons incumbent No. 6 Amone stood down as he awaits sentencing after being found guilty of a string of assault charges.

Amone is facing jail time and will be sentenced on December 6, and best case scenario he’ll receive a lengthy suspension from the NRL.

“The plan was to transition Kyle into a No. 9 over the next couple of years but he’ll have to stay in the halves for a little bit, which I’ve got no problems with,” Shane Flanagan said.

“I’ve always thought Kyle’s style with Benny Hunt will work perfectly because Benny is a runner, so he’ll get a shot there.

“The narrative around Kyle has changed a little bit, he’s come here as a 14 from a 6, 7 and 9 and now he’s going to have to play in the halves a little bit more.”
I'm just wondering, WTF is it about Kyle Flanagans game that made the club think he'd make a good hooker?
His Dad ........

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Look I think young Flanno may turn out ok for us , not a world beater , but can be better than Amone ...... The way Hunt plays I'd switch them around Hunt being more of a runner ...... The sook has really done F**K all as a 7 being able to control a game 6 years of nothing , so I'd give it a go , Flanno to 7 and Hunt to 6 ...... Better still piss him off all together ...... He lost me long ago when he wanted out of a club that he was captain of ........

Eric

Staff

BIRD’S BOLD CENTRE BID

Dragons gun Jack Bird has declared he wants to return to the outside backs under new coach Shane Flanagan in 2024.

The 28-year-old played 26 games under Flanagan at the Sharks in 2016, featuring in the centres under the premiership-winning coach.

Since then he has largely played in the forwards either at lock or in the backrow.

Now Bird is prepared to battle with both Moses Suli and Zac Lomax for the centre spots, with Lomax potentially shifting to the No.1 jersey.

“I’ve played my best footy under Flanno at centre, so that’s where I want to play,” Bird said to NRL.com.

“Especially with how my body is these days, I want to pick my moments.

“Obviously I haven’t played centre in a long time, so I have to work hard. I’m feeling fast enough to play centre. I’m feeling faster than I was last year, that’s for sure.

“I’ve been training at centre and in the back row, but I would like to get away from the forwards and get back to the backs.

“Zac has been training at centre as well and we’ve been chopping and changing. I think Zac can play anywhere on the field, so if I play in the centres put him in the backrow.”

Bird was also dropped to reserve grade last season, being handed a huge wake-up call.

However, this season he believes Flanagan will “get the best out of me” ahead of a potentiall career-defining season at the Red V.

“I enjoy being coached by Flanno. It’s been refreshing. Me and Flanno get on pretty well, we can chat, we can joke, there’s no BS with him,” Bird said.

“You can’t stuff around with Flanno, he’ll get up you - especially me, he gets up me all the time.”

Jack, some hard truths.
  • The backline is already too slow.
  • Your defence is poor in the centres as well.
  • You had better concentrate on becoming a good utility starting off the bench or you won't be in the 17.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg

BIRD’S BOLD CENTRE BID

Dragons gun Jack Bird has declared he wants to return to the outside backs under new coach Shane Flanagan in 2024.

The 28-year-old played 26 games under Flanagan at the Sharks in 2016, featuring in the centres under the premiership-winning coach.

Since then he has largely played in the forwards either at lock or in the backrow.

Now Bird is prepared to battle with both Moses Suli and Zac Lomax for the centre spots, with Lomax potentially shifting to the No.1 jersey.

“I’ve played my best footy under Flanno at centre, so that’s where I want to play,” Bird said to NRL.com.

“Especially with how my body is these days, I want to pick my moments.

“Obviously I haven’t played centre in a long time, so I have to work hard. I’m feeling fast enough to play centre. I’m feeling faster than I was last year, that’s for sure.

“I’ve been training at centre and in the back row, but I would like to get away from the forwards and get back to the backs.

“Zac has been training at centre as well and we’ve been chopping and changing. I think Zac can play anywhere on the field, so if I play in the centres put him in the backrow.”

Bird was also dropped to reserve grade last season, being handed a huge wake-up call.

However, this season he believes Flanagan will “get the best out of me” ahead of a potentiall career-defining season at the Red V.

“I enjoy being coached by Flanno. It’s been refreshing. Me and Flanno get on pretty well, we can chat, we can joke, there’s no BS with him,” Bird said.

“You can’t stuff around with Flanno, he’ll get up you - especially me, he gets up me all the time.”

Jack, some hard truths.
  • The backline is already too slow.
  • Your defence is poor in the centres as well.
  • You had better concentrate on becoming a good utility starting off the bench or you won't be in the 17.
THIS
  • 'The backline is already too slow.' how much slower do we want to be ?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Look I think young Flanno may turn out ok for us , not a world beater , but can be better than Amone ...... The way Hunt plays I'd switch them around Hunt being more of a runner ...... The sook has really done F**K all as a 7 being able to control a game 6 years of nothing , so I'd give it a go , Flanno to 7 and Hunt to 6 ...... Better still piss him off all together ...... He lost me long ago when he wanted out of a club that he was captain of ........
Yep. Hunt has a serious running game for sure. Good kicker too. To direct the team around the park as the best halfbacks do, he can't do so well. Can Kyle do that? I hope so but not too confident. Why couldn't he do it at the Sharks, Roosters or Bulldogs?

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Yep. Hunt has a serious running game for sure. Good kicker too. To direct the team around the park as the best halfbacks do, he can't do so well. Can Kyle do that? I hope so but not too confident. Why couldn't he do it at the Sharks, Roosters or Bulldogs?
Let's wait and see how it all pans out ..... He may just surprise .......

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Key positional battles: Fullback/centre/five-eighth

Crawley’s verdict: Does Shane Flanagan put the focus on attack or defence when it comes to who wears the No.1 jumper out of Tyrell Sloan or Zac Lomax? Everyone knows Sloan is a freak talent with the ball in his hand. But there is no hiding that he has been a liability defensively. And unless he can improve that area of his game dramatically, it would not shock to see Flanagan move Lomax to fullback.

That also opens up a spot for Jack Bird in the centres, which would give the Dragons a really hard edge. There is also a big rap on a young rugby union convert Savelio Tamale, who could come into the centre conversation. Kyle Flanagan looks the obvious option to partner Ben Hunt in the halves.

Sloan's defence is a problem but I think 5/8 might turn into a bigger problem.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I guess this means he won't be available for 12 months.
Has been a disappointment over the last 2 years anyway. Did Griffin tell him he has to become a much better ball player to compliment Hunt's running game? If so, that's ok but it shouldn't have been at the expense of his running game. And his defence was often almost as bad as Sloan's.