jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Conflicting reports.. typical media scrum picking around for the most sensational story. I first read Junior smashed the window of the tradies car. Now he is chasing him onto a roof and causing him to fall off. Why. All because a car parking offended he and his father. Sounds very fishy. I suspect Junior was defending his old man and the situation got heated. Where the two parties known to each other and there was some bitter history between them..
Incorrect Junior has been charged with GBH in company. His father wasn't he was charged with the lesser charge of AOBH, still serious and the 3rd person still at large when located will be the 2nd person charged with GBH in company I believe. Because of the circumstance of aggravation the punishment is 14 yrs imprisonment if found guilty. Amone will not be wearing our jersey in 23 awaiting trial.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Discipline definitely seems to be a problem but lets wait and see what his side of the story is.
You right, there are always 2 sides to a story. We always gave the suspect the opportunity to tell us their side. On most occasions their legal counsel would tell them to make no comment. Therefore you had to decide whether you had enough evidence to arrest and charge a person or release him pending further investigations, these would include medical reports and most importantly any independent witnesses. Amone was charged so based on my experience there was sufficient evidence which will be tested in any future court proceedings. The basic facts of this matter is that a tradesman parked his car that earned the ire of 3 suspects. The suspects armed themselves with a hammer and chased the victim who climbed onto the roof of a nearby house trying to evade being assaulted. It is then claimed a person pushed him causing him to fall off the roof. A GBH charge does afford the suspect a defence to the charge of self defence, so if the victim first threw a punch but only to overcome and defend one self but not to continue once the force has been overcome, so this doesn't apply here, same as in the defence of provocation, the victim could have made a racial slur but once your passion cooled . I do not expect to see this young man ever playing for us again if convicted.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
You right, there are always 2 sides to a story. We always gave the suspect the opportunity to tell us their side. On most occasions their legal counsel would tell them to make no comment. Therefore you had to decide whether you had enough evidence to arrest and charge a person or release him pending further investigations, these would include medical reports and most importantly any independent witnesses. Amone was charged so based on my experience there was sufficient evidence which will be tested in any future court proceedings. The basic facts of this matter is that a tradesman parked his car that earned the ire of 3 suspects. The suspects armed themselves with a hammer and chased the victim who climbed onto the roof of a nearby house trying to evade being assaulted. It is then claimed a person pushed him causing him to fall off the roof. A GBH charge does afford the suspect a defence to the charge of self defence, so if the victim first threw a punch but only to overcome and defend one self but not to continue once the force has been overcome, so this doesn't apply here, same as in the defence of provocation, the victim could have made a racial slur but once your passion cooled . I do not expect to see this young man ever playing for us again if convicted.
That sounds really bad...... If what has been reported is mostly true, do you expect him to do time? If so, approx how much?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
That sounds really bad...... If what has been reported is mostly true, do you expect him to do time? If so, approx how much?
Let's not jump ahead here. First he has to go to trial if he pleads not guilty. If the facts are so strong then he could plea bargain. Then it is up to the presiding magistrate/ judge as to the penalty. The magistrate/judge will take into consideration if the offender was a person of good character; was acting under duress; did not plan the offence; or had shown remorse, the severity of the sentence may be mitigated, also age and any previous convictions will come into calculations. In my experience this charge is one of the highest levels of Assault related offences. GBH usually means that the victim has sustained a permanent injury or disfigurement. In my years of dealing in criminal law matters if found guilty a 1st time offender on avg would be sentenced to a minimum 3 yrs imprisonment with the opportunity of parole after 18 months. That is how serious this matter is.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Let's not jump ahead here. First he has to go to trial if he pleads not guilty. If the facts are so strong then he could plea bargain. Then it is up to the presiding magistrate/ judge as to the penalty. The magistrate/judge will take into consideration if the offender was a person of good character; was acting under duress; did not plan the offence; or had shown remorse, the severity of the sentence may be mitigated, also age and any previous convictions will come into calculations. In my experience this charge is one of the highest levels of Assault related offences. GBH usually means that the victim has sustained a permanent injury or disfigurement. In my years of dealing in criminal law matters if found guilty a 1st time offender on avg would be sentenced to a minimum 3 yrs imprisonment with the opportunity of parole after 18 months. That is how serious this matter is.
In other words, we just have to wait and see. Too many variables but seems likely he won't figure in first grade next season.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
What exactly happened. Was he provoked? Will the judge be lenient if he is guilty. Will the prosecution go all out or cut a deal?
There is no defence of provocation in relation to a GBH offence. All judges are bound by precedent in regards to sentencing. Plea bargaining is solely based on the pretence that the offender pleads guilty to the charge. So no variables in my opinion.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
There is no defence of provocation in relation to a GBH offence. All judges are bound by precedent in regards to sentencing. Plea bargaining is solely based on the pretence that the offender pleads guilty to the charge. So no variables in my opinion.
Ok. Fewer variables than I thought. Being dressed down by JoDragon really takes me back to 7th grade.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
JoDragon has a big personality. If he didn't turn to St George he might have ran for public office. Would be a change from the gang we have now who have all the charisma of a damp rag.
Having a big or strong personality, and you are right about that, about me, helped me greatly in my personal and work life. People with strong personalities aren't afraid to accept difficult challenges, in part because they feel a responsibility to do so, and in part because they don't want to let their friends, family members, or co-workers down. Describes me down to a tee. If we only had such people in our boardroom or in our government's, life would be better for all of us. Alas in the last 15 to 20 yrs having such a quality did you no favours in fact hindered you and now you see the results, whether it is football or our daily lives.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
What is the latest with Amone. Nothing on our website about letting him go. He is now an international and a promising player for us. If he is exonerated or gets a reduced sentence, I say we keep him.

Eric

Staff
What is the latest with Amone. Nothing on our website about letting him go. He is now an international and a promising player for us. If he is exonerated or gets a reduced sentence, I say we keep him.
We have been wondering about it. JoDragon seems to have a pretty good idea about it.
There is no full story here the charge preferred means that he has no lawful defence. Example if you are out on the town and some idiot makes a derogatory remark at you then hits you. You are entitled to defend yourself until the force has been overcome. It doesn't allow you to knock him down then whilst he is on the ground kick him and break his ribs. You would expect to be charged. It doesn't allow you to arm yourself with any weapon and chase the other person and as a result of your actions cause him AOBH which is a lesser assault charge. If I was coach I'd be telling him mate we will support you through this process but if you are found guilty then that would be the grounds to tear up your contract. This then sends a clear message to everyone no matter what position you hold in the team or club.
I hope he is innocent but the case against him seems pretty strong. He might be able to cut a deal and plead guilty with no or minimal jail time but that will almost certainly see his contract torn up. Or he'll be stood down while he fights the charges. Either way, it's not good for the team. Not a disaster because hopefully Sullivan is ready to step up as a 5/8.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
We have been wondering about it. JoDragon seems to have a pretty good idea about it.

I hope he is innocent but the case against him seems pretty strong. He might be able to cut a deal and plead guilty with no or minimal jail time but that will almost certainly see his contract torn up. Or he'll be stood down while he fights the charges. Either way, it's not good for the team. Not a disaster because hopefully Sullivan is ready to step up as a 5/8.
Hook has had a few things go his way. First McInnes went down for the season just after McCullough was signed. Now Amone looks like being gone for season just after Sullivan was persuaded to stay.