Griffin & Hunt

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Have said before I can see this being a big problem with Hunts signing , like you say 1 good year and what's to say that he plays the same for the next 3 years ..... He seems to have too much influence on who plays where and who he wants in the team .....
He and Griffin seem like they might have some compromising material on Craig "head-knock" Young. Griffin and Hunt seem to be running the football department.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
guys our club just got more toxic by this piece of mindless garbage.

Hunt slams 'disrespectful' Dragons teammates.​

SACK HIM!!
He says "he'd like to have a chat to some of them". He might end up getting knocked out.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
He and Griffin seem like they might have some compromising material on Craig "head-knock" Young. Griffin and Hunt seem to be running the football department.
And this can get even worst next year if Hunt doesn't have a so good year ..... What a mess the club has made .....

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
2025 is looking a fair bet. No matter what anyone says the club is in crisis. In my day any end of year awards night was packed to the rafters. It's a time of reflection, on the season, a chance to mention and thank everyone from the weekend volunteers, to everyone else behind the scenes but importantly to those sponsors that any club needs to actually exist. Can you imagine how many sponsors would have been at that night and the dissapointment in not being able to mingle with the very players your business sponsored individually? We are and have been for some time a club divided and in crisis.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
2025 is looking a fair bet. No matter what anyone says the club is in crisis. In my day any end of year awards night was packed to the rafters. It's a time of reflection, on the season, a chance to mention and thank everyone from the weekend volunteers, to everyone else behind the scenes but importantly to those sponsors that any club needs to actually exist. Can you imagine how many sponsors would have been at that night and the dissapointment in not being able to mingle with the very players your business sponsored individually? We are and have been for some time a club divided and in crisis.
That's I read someone in the media say. Not exactly that but that a lot of whispers would be going around within the sponsors about the state of the club.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
That's I read someone in the media say. Not exactly that but that a lot of whispers would be going around within the sponsors about the state of the club.
If we lose sponsors its a slippery slope downwards in my opinion. There's no sugar coating this its disastrous for our beloved club in my opinion

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Maybe it will force the club to finally sack Griffin. At least, I hope it does.
If my business was a sponsor I'd be filthy and wouldn't be renewing my sponsorship until the club got its act together. The loss of sponsorship money may be the catalyst we all need so our once great and feared club could start once again being competitive.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Webb has avoided a lot of the criticism. Probably shouldn't have.
Hasn't impressed me at all. The CEO was like the club president back in the day. They could be a obstinant bunch but if enough pressure was placed upon them by the committee but more importantly the club members that is when you saw them sway and or cave in. Let's see how many club members like myself will not be renewing their memberships in 2023.

Eric

Staff
It's the same thing every year really , nothing changes until the big knobs wake up to themselves and stop making bad decisions ......
It's hard to understand them. 5 years of failure so they double down on him when he is going to 34 when the new extension starts and we are going to have to let a very promising young halfback go! WTF is going on??? It's makes no sense. I can only guess they don't rate Sully but have high hopes in Herring from this year's Jersey Flegg. But even then, if he's really good, he's going to want NRL time next season and a regular starting position the year after that. So WTF is Hunt going to do? Move to hooker? So we are going to let possibly the most promising of all this years Flegg team, Sam Hooper go? Or Hunt is going to be on the bench, coming on to give Hooper a rest? So he's on 900K to come off the bench???

I just don't understand it at all.......

Eric

Staff
What has happened. Damage done. Now it's how to make the best out of it.
Good point. How to make the best out of it?
  • Let Sullivan go. The club lied to him and we don't want to be paying a guy to be kicking stones at training each week.
  • Let Griffin know he's gone by round 6 is the team doesn't start well. So he can continue to treat Hunt like the messiah if he wants but it's his neck on the chopping block.
  • Give several young players a top 30 contract or development contract.
  • Sign one more good backrower and/or prop.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
It's hard to understand them. 5 years of failure so they double down on him when he is going to 34 when the new extension starts and we are going to have to let a very promising young halfback go! WTF is going on??? It's makes no sense. I can only guess they don't rate Sully but have high hopes in Herring from this year's Jersey Flegg. But even then, if he's really good, he's going to want NRL time next season and a regular starting position the year after that. So WTF is Hunt going to do? Move to hooker? So we are going to let possibly the most promising of all this years Flegg team, Sam Hooper go? Or Hunt is going to be on the bench, coming on to give Hooper a rest? So he's on 900K to come off the bench???

I just don't understand it at all.......
I have a theory. The club is thinking about a spine which includes Hooper at hooker, Sloan at fullback and Amone at 5/8 next year. They decided they really need at least one old head in there.
Good point. How to make the best out of it?
  • Let Sullivan go. The club lied to him and we don't want to be paying a guy to be kicking stones at training each week.
  • Let Griffin know he's gone by round 6 is the team doesn't start well. So he can continue to treat Hunt like the messiah if he wants but it's his neck on the chopping block.
  • Give several young players a top 30 contract or development contract.
  • Sign one more good backrower and/or prop.
That sounds promising for a competitive team 2 or 3 years down the track.

Eric

Staff
I have a theory. The club is thinking about a spine which includes Hooper at hooker, Sloan at fullback and Amone at 5/8 next year. They decided they really need at least one old head in there.

That sounds promising for a competitive team 2 or 3 years down the track.
I guess that makes sense but I was always in favour of making Hunt stick around for the last year of his current contract. That would have given Amone 2 years of regular NRL under his belt and one year each for Sully and Sloan. Not exactly rookies.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I guess that makes sense but I was always in favour of making Hunt stick around for the last year of his current contract. That would have given Amone 2 years of regular NRL under his belt and one year each for Sully and Sloan. Not exactly rookies.
I agree that should be enough experience but having one old head there is probably good for the other 3. Just as long, especially in regard to Amone, the coach gives Hunt a baking if he starts playing for his own glory again. To me it seemed like he definitely doing that in the first half of last season. He was better in the second half of the season.

Eric

Staff
He isn't a sook, he's much more logical and in tune with the state of the team than the coaching staff, or so it seems.

‘I’m not a sook’: Sullivan breaks silence after backflipping on shock release request​

St George Illawarra Dragons youngster Jayden Sullivan has broken his silence after backflipping on a request for an immediate release. The 21-year-old claimed that he was eager to remain at the Red V after he initially raised concerns about his personal development with the club.

The young halfback also revealed there was a breakdown in communication with coach Anthony Griffin and has since sat down with club powerbrokers and is eager to learn from skipper Ben Hunt.