Griffin & Hunt

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
To be honest Macca was a top defender..his only real asset. So we will need to be picking a top defender to replace him. Mulheisen is one.. not sure Sullivan is. Prefer Sully concentrated on half. Sam Hooper will play Ressies this year I expect. With his Flegg mates, plus with a more mature Sully, Tyrell and Coric they will be far stronger this coming season.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
To be honest Macca was a top defender..his only real asset. So we will need to be picking a top defender to replace him. Mulheisen is one.. not sure Sullivan is. Prefer Sully concentrated on half. Sam Hooper will play Ressies this year I expect. With his Flegg mates, plus Sully, Tyrell and Coric they will be far stronger this coming season.
Sully definitely isn't a strong defender. Even in defence Macca was slipping.

Coric will surely be in the top 30 next year.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
To be honest Macca was a top defender..his only real asset. So we will need to be picking a top defender to replace him. Mulheisen is one.. not sure Sullivan is. Prefer Sully concentrated on half. Sam Hooper will play Ressies this year I expect. With his Flegg mates, plus Sully, Tyrell and Coric they will be far stronger this coming season.
Sully definitely isn't a strong defender. Even in defence Macca was slipping.

Coric will surely be in the top 30 next year.
Mulheisen has started pre-season training with the squad but I guess that doesn't mean much.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
The good thing about Hunt re-signing is the money he is rumoured to be on. I've heard 700~750k with some TPA's thrown in. For a halfback these days, that's really not a lot! It's a bargain. Dylan Brown is going to get around 1 mil a year and Mitchell Moses probably more than that even though he'll be 29 when his new deal starts.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
The good thing about Hunt re-signing is the money he is rumoured to be on. I've heard 700~750k with some TPA's thrown in. For a halfback these days, that's really not a lot! It's a bargain. Dylan Brown is going to get around 1 mil a year and Mitchell Moses probably more than that even though he'll be 29 when his new deal starts.
If he can maintain a high level of play for 3 more years, 700~750k for a good, but not great, halfback or hooker is a good deal for the club for sure.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
If he can maintain a high level of play for 3 more years, 700~750k for a good, but not great, halfback or hooker is a good deal for the club for sure.
Just a question of which big name they are going to poach. Even if the club has to pay overs due to the "Griffin factor".

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
If that isn't set to rise to match the salary cap rise, it'll be an absolute steal even if he is passed his best. The new salary cap will likely see the best hookers join the best halfbacks, 5/8s and fullbacks on well over a million a year.

Eric

Staff

Anthony Griffin - St George Illawarra Dragons

Griffin was controversially extended before a ball was kicked this year. It proved another poor decision from the St George Illawarra board.

The Dragons never really looked like playing finals and finished 10th as their ageing roster failed to fire for Griffin in the back half of the season.

There were rumblings of the coach playing favourites and George Burgess publicly declared “I didn’t get along with Hook” after leaving the club in October.

Griffin re-signed Ben Hunt on a deal that will see him earning almost $1 million in 2025 as a 35-year-old as young guns Jayden Sullivan and Tyrell Sloan asked for releases. Days are numbered.

If it true Hunt is on around 750k plus TPAs it's more paletable but I'm still wondering if he'll be NRL standard in any position in another 2.5 years. That's when the last year of his contract will begin!

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Anthony Griffin - St George Illawarra Dragons

Griffin was controversially extended before a ball was kicked this year. It proved another poor decision from the St George Illawarra board.

The Dragons never really looked like playing finals and finished 10th as their ageing roster failed to fire for Griffin in the back half of the season.

There were rumblings of the coach playing favourites and George Burgess publicly declared “I didn’t get along with Hook” after leaving the club in October.

Griffin re-signed Ben Hunt on a deal that will see him earning almost $1 million in 2025 as a 35-year-old as young guns Jayden Sullivan and Tyrell Sloan asked for releases. Days are numbered.

If it true Hunt is on around 750k plus TPAs it's more paletable but I'm still wondering if he'll be NRL standard in any position in another 2.5 years. That's when the last year of his contract will begin!
Just to be clear, I wouldn't have signed Hunt on 750K for another two years after his current contract finishes. I would have offered something closer to 500K. His utility value will still be good provided he stays injury free. I'm just saying, 750K a year isn't that bad when you look at what halfbacks are on these days.