Griffin & Hunt

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I think you'll find a few problems. Very understandable IMO.
  1. They don't like Hunt unjustifiably getting all the wraps and none of the criticism.
  2. They don't appreciate the coaches obvious favouritism.
  3. They don't appreciate Hunt so publicly backing a coach who they hate.
  4. They don't appreciate Hunt telling them to be content in reserve grade. Suggesting for several more years.
  5. They don't appreciate Hunt playing for his own glory rather than the team.
  6. They hate the coach for not pulling him aside and giving him a baking for trying to do everything himself.
All very understandable.
If you give it cool thought.... Hunt will be 35 and earning close to 1mil a season. There are a few players who have done that. Very few. Cameron Smith and Thurston. I think Cooper Cronk was on somewhat less. That's all I can think of. So Hunt is in rarefied air. Up there with Cameron Smith and Johnathon Thurston. He must be pinching himself one the one hand and laughing and at the idiocy of the Dragons on the other.

It may be a bitter pill to swallow but we shouldn't hate Hunt for it. He's just getting the best deal he can. Save your anger (and hate if you feel strongly enough) for Griffin, Craig Young and may be others. I don't think Flanagan is in on this. Sully is now going to replace his son. Not only that but Flanno seems a little more switched on than Craig Young and Griffin.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
If you give it cool thought.... Hunt will be 35 and earning close to 1mil a season. There are a few players who have done that. Very few. Cameron Smith and Thurston. I think Cooper Cronk was on somewhat less. That's all I can think of. So Hunt is in rarefied air. Up there with Cameron Smith and Johnathon Thurston. He must be pinching himself one the one hand and laughing and at the idiocy of the Dragons on the other.

It may be a bitter pill to swallow but we shouldn't hate Hunt for it. He's just getting the best deal he can. Save your anger (and hate if you feel strongly enough) for Griffin, Craig Young and may be others. I don't think Flanagan is in on this. Sully is now going to replace his son. Not only that but Flanno seems a little more switched on than Craig Young and Griffin.
Cam Smith, Ben Hunt and Johnathon Thurston...... Two of the 3 have achieved pretty much everything there is in the game. You name it, they've done it. But the most valuable thing about them can't be recorded on paper. Their ability to turn average teams into premiership contenders or good teams into premiership winners.

The other has won MoM in 2 SOO games. One of those was a dead rubber game. Other than that, has achieved absolutely nothing of note in the game. He came 3rd in the Dally M awards which won't be remembered...... by the time this thread has gone down past page 1.

So it stands to reason St George Illawarra would be the club to have the third of those on the books.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Cam Smith, Ben Hunt and Johnathon Thurston...... Two of the 3 have achieved pretty much everything there is in the game. You name it, they've done it. But the most valuable thing about them can't be recorded on paper. Their ability to turn average teams into premiership contenders or good teams into premiership winners.
You could argue, with some confidence, Hunt is the opposite. He does some good things individually. A few 40-20s, some good solo tries, some try-saving tackles. But does very little for the players around him.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
You could argue, with some confidence, Hunt is the opposite. He does some good things individually. A few 40-20s, some good solo tries, some try-saving tackles. But does very little for the players around him.
Exactly this that's why he is better for the team at 9 only has to pass then when he sees something he goes for it .....

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Exactly this that's why he is better for the team at 9 only has to pass then when he sees something he goes for it .....
That's actually a pretty good theory on why he has excelled in big games at hooker rather than in his favoured position......
It is a good theory but I don't think good hookers merely pass and then go for it when they see something. They are more like playmakers for the forwards. A lot less responsibility than the team playmakers halves are supposed to be but still significant.

And I would add, less playmaking responsibility but more freedom to go for it when he sees something should really suit Hunt and any good hooker.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
This is a clear statement and action by the playing group. The coach if as well as the senior management that backed Griffin acknowledges that he has lost the dressing room and we are now unless something drastically changes odds on favourites for the dreaded wooden spoon. Heads have to roll.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
This is a clear statement and action by the playing group. The coach if as well as the senior management that backed Griffin acknowledges that he has lost the dressing room and we are now unless something drastically changes odds on favourites for the dreaded wooden spoon. Heads have to roll.
I think Hunt might be on the nose with a few as well.
I think you'll find a few problems. Very understandable IMO.
  1. They don't like Hunt unjustifiably getting all the wraps and none of the criticism.
  2. They don't appreciate the coaches obvious favouritism.
  3. They don't appreciate Hunt so publicly backing a coach who they hate.
  4. They don't appreciate Hunt telling them to be content in reserve grade. Suggesting for several more years.
  5. They don't appreciate Hunt playing for his own glory rather than the team.
  6. They hate the coach for not pulling him aside and giving him a baking for trying to do everything himself.
All very understandable.
I agree completely with #4 and #5 and could understand the players being furious about it.

Anyway, hopefully this might bring things to a head before pre-season training starts.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Well the coaches position is now untenable. It will be extremely interesting to see how the board reacts.
I think Hunt might be on the nose with a few as well.

I agree completely with #4 and #5 and could understand the players being furious about it.

Anyway, hopefully this might bring things to a head before pre-season training starts.
I'll tell you all one thing, I reckon if our old friend Jo Dragon was hired in a position similar to Head-Knock Young's, things would turn around in a hurry.

Eric

Staff
I'll tell you all one thing, I reckon if our old friend Jo Dragon was hired in a position similar to Head-Knock Young's, things would turn around in a hurry.
For the first week you'd hear an endless stream expletives being yelled for at least 100m in every direction.🤣

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Which is a message of hope. It won't take much to turn things around. A new coach is an absolute must! Craig Young's position should also come under the microscope. Maybe it's time he enjoyed a relaxing retirement.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
When asked about this particular player snub our current CEO Webb dismissed it . So having personal experience both work related and football related in middle/ senior management I can safely say that the board needs to make some extremely difficult decisions. Does it continue to support the current coach and senior management or does it admit there are grave internal issues and take the necessary steps to ensure that we don't go into pre season training with players who have decided to have a big off season and let themselves go both physically and mentally. If I was in this position I would take my salary and walk away for the benefit of the club, the players and most importantly the supporters. Time will tell.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
When asked about this particular player snub our current CEO Webb dismissed it . So having personal experience both work related and football related in middle/ senior management I can safely say that the board needs to make some extremely difficult decisions. Does it continue to support the current coach and senior management or does it admit there are grave internal issues and take the necessary steps to ensure that we don't go into pre season training with players who have decided to have a big off season and let themselves go both physically and mentally. If I was in this position I would take my salary and walk away for the benefit of the club, the players and most importantly the supporters. Time will tell.
Yep. Well said.

Eric

Staff
In these short sentences is encapsulated everything I have come to despise about Hunt.:mad:
“On one hand I’m very proud and happy with how I played and what I achieved. On the other hand it’s tough that we didn’t make the finals and you want to win some more games.
Because whether on purpose or just the way you play the game or a combination of the two, you do very little if anything for the players around you when you play halfback these days. It might even be that you have a negative effect on the players around you.
“We are going in the right direction. The experience we have in the team and the extra year for those young guys to develop.
i.e. the young guys are coming along but as I have suggested over and over and over, they need another 2 or 3 years "developing" before they are ready for week in week out NRL. Because that's how it was for me.......

On a brighter note, he's talking about how Griffin is gone if the team doesn't start next season strongly. I take that as a plea that Griffin be given a chance to see the team start strongly next season rather than turfed before the season starts.

And then he says this.....
“I want Macca to go around,” Hunt said of McCullough. “It’s understated what he has done for our team. He has been a good connection for our guys in the middle having an old head. We aren’t young anymore and obviously we’re slowing down a bit. His decision making and where the ball has to go is underestimated this year.”
FFS..... Now there is no doubt at all. The little clique of Griffin-Hunt-McCullough with possibly a few ring-ins like Mbye are merely milking the club for everything they can. No one who has any idea about anything to do with the game believes McCullough is still NRL standard.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
So the latest news is that Sullivan was informed by the club before he signed at the end of 2021 that Hunt wouldn't be there beyond 2023. A perfectly logical decision by the club. After all, he would be 33, turning 34 before any new deal started. It would have given him plenty of time to mentor Sullivan and do everything possible to make sure he was ready for the full-time halfback spot in 2024.

But after 1, yes ONE good year, Hunt gets extended on big money and now Sullivan wants an immediate release........ Almost couldn't make this stuff up. And I'm also skeptical about how good Hunt really was this year. For me, for a big money halfback and captain to "excel" means leading the team deep into the finals.

Eric

Staff
guys our club just got more toxic by this piece of mindless garbage.

Hunt slams 'disrespectful' Dragons teammates.​

SACK HIM!!
Simple solution. Tell Hunt he'll be playing hooker and Zac Lomax is the new captain. Hunt will be looking for an immediate exit. I really wanted him to see out the last year of his current contract but he has become toxic.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Simple solution. Tell Hunt he'll be playing hooker and Zac Lomax is the new captain. Hunt will be looking for an immediate exit. I really wanted him to see out the last year of his current contract but he has become toxic.
Have said before I can see this being a big problem with Hunts signing , like you say 1 good year and what's to say that he plays the same for the next 3 years ..... He seems to have too much influence on who plays where and who he wants in the team .....