Eric

Staff
I acknowledge Ben Hunt has improved his game since taking the Dragon's reins. But someone tell me why he is leading the Dally M at half way point. If he had been winning us games when they are there to be won, we'd have to agree. But he falls down at that point. This bloke is big of heart but low on creativity when it is most needed. Much like a Test batsman that gets a handy 30/40 but can not kick on to a big score.
Griffin, like the Qld selectors, should see hooker is BH's best position and move him there pronto. McCullough should be dropped to Ressies, with Connor Mulheisen promoted to share the dummy half role with Hunt. I dont have a problem with Mbye in a playmaking role for the time being.
I think it was Chris M Chris M who alluded to it. I hate certain players being given Dally M points automatically. Hunt has been much better the last few weeks where he stopped trying to do everything himself.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I acknowledge Ben Hunt has improved his game since taking the Dragon's reins. But someone tell me why he is leading the Dally M at half way point. If he had been winning us games when they are there to be won, we'd have to agree. But he falls down at that point. This bloke is big of heart but low on creativity when it is most needed. Much like a Test batsman that gets a handy 30/40 but can not kick on to a big score.
Griffin, like the Qld selectors, should see hooker is BH's best position and move him there pronto. McCullough should be dropped to Ressies, with Connor Mulheisen promoted to share the dummy half role with Hunt. I dont have a problem with Mbye in a playmaking role for the time being.
I'm a Ben Hunt fan but I agree with this. He's not a great ball player. Not a very good ball player. Though no way would I move him to hooker and play Mbye at halfback. I'm in favour of moving him to hooker and giving Sullivan and Amone a chance to show what they can do. If they aren't yet ready, fine. Move Hunt back to halfback.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Hunt shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the Dally M rankings.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Hunt shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the Dally M rankings.
He deserves to be near the top of the deeply flawed ranking system. But in all honesty, I was critical of him early in the season but for the last few weeks he's been good. Seems he's no longer in it for his personal glory but is now playing a role in the team. Obviously the coach, to his credit, had a word to Hunt about it.

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
In my opinion moving Hunt would be a disastrous move. He simply cannot tackle, he is rated No.1 from 480 players who have played 1st grade this season for the most missed tackles. He cannot run the attacking plays from dummy half and I am willing to say that Griffin will never move him to 9 from 7.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
In my opinion moving Hunt would be a disastrous move. He simply cannot tackle, he is rated No.1 from 480 players who have played 1st grade this season for the most missed tackles. He cannot run the attacking plays from dummy half and I am willing to say that Griffin will never move him to 9 from 7.
He got MoM playing hooker in game 3 of Origin last year.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I agree Griffin won't move him but I'm just thinking maybe he should. Really not sure how I feel about it but just saying the option should be on the table.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
He simply cannot tackle
I know and agree with you. That is my one reservation over moving him to hooker. To his credit if McCulllogh has one attribute it is his defense. But the bloke is a tortoise in attack whereas Hunt is best when taking on the line. I have noticed recently Hunt has been tackling low. It is when he goes above the waist that he is swatted away like a fly. If only Griffin had eyes he'd see that we have the ideal hooker being wasted in Ressies as young Muhliesen is both a good defender, has ball skills and likes taking snipes from dummy half. A no brainer.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I know and agree with you. That is my one reservation over moving him to hooker. To his credit if McCulllogh has one attribute it is his defense. But the bloke is a tortoise in attack whereas Hunt is best when taking on the line. I have noticed recently Hunt has been tackling low. It is when he goes above the waist that he is swatted away like a fly. If only Griffin had eyes he'd see that we have the ideal hooker being wasted in Ressies as young Muhliesen is both a good defender, has ball skills and likes taking snipes from dummy half. A no brainer.
I don't agree that Hunt simply "can't tackle" but I agree 100% it's time to give Muhliesen a chance. To be honest, I can't understand why it still hasn't happened. He's been eligible for the last 2 games.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I think he's an infinitely better defender than a lot of halves. Think Luke Brooks, Sam Walker, Luke Keary just off the top of my head. The difference between them and Hunt is that the latter doesn't hide or have "bodyguards". As a matter of fact, among halfbacks, I'd say Hunt is one of the best defenders.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I don't agree that Hunt simply "can't tackle" but I agree 100% it's time to give Muhliesen a chance. To be honest, I can't understand why it still hasn't happened. He's been eligible for the last 2 games.
I've been saying for a while, the only reason I can see is because Macca was an integral member of the team that put Hook on the map, the Broncos U20s team of 15 years ago. I don't think it's true. Too unprofessional but as far as I can see, it's the only reason. An unconscious bias.

Then again, Muhliesen might be given a chance and cause, as far as I can see and hear, pretty much all serious Dragons supporters to eat humble pie by completely blowing it. I just think everyone should be able to see that Macca has had a great career but he's no longer first grade standard.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

STANDOUTS (IN NSW CUP LAST WEEK)

Dragons second-rower Billy Burns had a day out against his former club, setting up two tries, getting three linebreaks and five tackle busts while running for 159 metres in his side’s 26-22 win over Penrith.

Jayden Sullivan was once again dominant as he set up a try, got a linebreak, a linebreak assist, two tackle busts and ran for 164 metres.

Meanwhile, Treigh Stewart is improving every week. The young winger scored, got a linebreak, three tackle busts and ran for 197 metres for the Dragons.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Billy Burns is off contract at seasons end. He didn't exactly set the world on fire when he was in first grade last year but he didn't bomb out either. He has all the attributes of a potential excellent second rower. Big, tall, mobile, plays 80min, good defender.

Eric

Staff
Round 14 vs Rabbitohs
NSW Cup
Jersey Flegg
  1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Alexander Lobb
  3. Ethan Clark-Wood
  4. Max Feagai
  5. Treigh Stewart
  6. Mitch Francis
  7. Kamren Cryer
  8. Poasa Faamausili
  9. Connor Muhleisen
  10. Jackson Ford
  11. Jack Gosiewski
  12. Billy Burns
  13. Tyrell Fuimaono
Interchange:
14. Brad Deitz
15. Josh Coric
16. Jack Boyling
20. George Burgess
  1. Callum Gromek
  2. Cooper Roberts
  3. Ben Johnson
  4. Jack Bostock
  5. John Vunga
  6. Zach Herring
  7. Braxton Wallace
  8. Bryce Magnone
  9. Declan Purcell
  10. Jackson Shereb
  11. Hayden Budd
  12. Nicholas Tsougranis
  13. Phoenix Vetenibua-Finnerty
Interchange:
14. Sam Hooper (c)
15. Toby Couchman
16. Harley Sanchez
17. Travis Barrett-Hancock
18. Trey Barlow
19. Callum Perryman
  • After the reserves for the NRL come back into this team, looks like Burgess will be out of the team altogether.
  • Alexander Lobb is back from a stint in Jersey Flegg. Interesting. I guess he'll be back in Flegg again when Reuben isn't selected in the NRL team. Have to wait and see.
  • Jackson Ford is prop? Probably going to move back to the bench.
  • Glad the coach has seen the light regarding Fuimaono. He is a lock playing in the middle, not an edge backrower.
  • Connor Muhleisen still plugging along in the NSW Cup. No sign of promotion.
  • Coric is probably going to drop back to Flegg as well.
  • Shereb is prop again! What's that about? Anyone?
  • Hooper on the bench again. So who is Declan Purcell? Coaches obviously think highly of him.
  • Apart from Coric and Shereb, I wonder which of these forwards the coaches think is going to make it in the NRL. Must be some. Griffin keeps talking about them. Maybe Declan Purcell is one.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Round 14 vs Rabbitohs
NSW Cup
Jersey Flegg
  1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Alexander Lobb
  3. Ethan Clark-Wood
  4. Max Feagai
  5. Treigh Stewart
  6. Mitch Francis
  7. Kamren Cryer
  8. Poasa Faamausili
  9. Connor Muhleisen
  10. Jackson Ford
  11. Jack Gosiewski
  12. Billy Burns
  13. Tyrell Fuimaono
Interchange:
14. Brad Deitz
15. Josh Coric
16. Jack Boyling
20. George Burgess
  1. Callum Gromek
  2. Cooper Roberts
  3. Ben Johnson
  4. Jack Bostock
  5. John Vunga
  6. Zach Herring
  7. Braxton Wallace
  8. Bryce Magnone
  9. Declan Purcell
  10. Jackson Shereb
  11. Hayden Budd
  12. Nicholas Tsougranis
Interchange:
14. Sam Hooper (c)
15. Toby Couchman
16. Harley Sanchez
18. Trey Barlow
19. Callum Perryman
  • After the reserves for the NRL come back into this team, looks like Burgess will be out of the team altogether.
  • Alexander Lobb is back from a stint in Jersey Flegg. Interesting. I guess he'll be back in Flegg again when Reuben isn't selected in the NRL team. Have to wait and see.
  • Glad the coach has seen the light regarding Fuimaono. He is a lock playing in the middle, not an edge backrower.
  • Hooper on the bench again. So who is Declan Purcell? Coaches obviously think highly of him.
  • Apart from Coric and Shereb, I wonder which of these forwards the coaches think is going to make it in the NRL. Must be some. Griffin keeps talking about them. Maybe Declan Purcell is one.
I'm not sure it's any use looking at the forwards selection in the NSW Cup. After reserves from first grade come back, it's going to be completely different.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Round 14 vs Rabbitohs
NSW Cup
Jersey Flegg
  1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Alexander Lobb
  3. Ethan Clark-Wood
  4. Max Feagai
  5. Treigh Stewart
  6. Mitch Francis
  7. Kamren Cryer
  8. Poasa Faamausili
  9. Connor Muhleisen
  10. Jackson Ford
  11. Jack Gosiewski
  12. Billy Burns
  13. Tyrell Fuimaono
Interchange:
14. Brad Deitz
15. Josh Coric
16. Jack Boyling
20. George Burgess
  1. Callum Gromek
  2. Cooper Roberts
  3. Ben Johnson
  4. Jack Bostock
  5. John Vunga
  6. Zach Herring
  7. Braxton Wallace
  8. Bryce Magnone
  9. Declan Purcell
  10. Jackson Shereb
  11. Hayden Budd
  12. Nicholas Tsougranis
Interchange:
14. Sam Hooper (c)
15. Toby Couchman
16. Harley Sanchez
18. Trey Barlow
19. Callum Perryman
Burgess on the reserve bench. A waste of money in my opinion

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Someone screwed up the recruitment process. It happens but would be nice if someone from the club put their hand up and said something like, our moneyball recruitment strategy was an abject failure.

Eric

Staff
Griffin obviously thinks he's behind other players in NSW Cup.

Not the first dud signing and won't be the last. This one is on minimal money and signed for only a short time.

Could be much worse.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Hunt is that the latter doesn't hide or have "bodyguards
Yes he does he hides out wide in the backs as Griffin does not trust his middle defense. Similar to Mary hiding Marshall out wide. But with Hunt being stood up by fast three quarters or big edge runners far too often, he is a liability out there. I'd like to see him defending in the middle as reckon he'd nail his man more often.