NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg, 2024

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
but he runs for so few metres compared to
Those in the know will tell you why Tyrell is suddenly not running the big mts, IS because the smart coaches are having him heavily marked. His improvement has been slow up til this season, is now sprinting ahead. I pay credit to Dean Young for this. Next year, hopefully carrying more muscle, we will start seeing a more rounded footy player.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
but Sloan does not actually break out of tackles
Because he is tall and paper thin. What does he tip the scales at, 80kg. We have the best fitness man in the game so he has to convince Tyrell he needs to pile on at least 5 even 10kg of pure muscle.

Last edited:

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Because he is tall and too paper thin. What does he tip the scales at, 80kg. We have the best fitness man in the game so he has to convince Tyrell he needs to pile on at least 5 even 10kg of pure muscle.
I think he's about 85 now. Probably about the same as Walsh, more than Papenhauzen.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Im not sure what it is about Sloans running... but the difference is your opposition looks forward to Sloan hitting it up so they can belt him.. but when Faalago or Papenhausen or Reece or Chevy or Talagi or Ponga or Campbell or Brimson or Kini or Hammer or Fuller run (and I could double that list tbh).. when those fullbacks run its scary as sh*t.. u mess up and they are away.... what is different, is it the attacking fullback truly believeing they will break your tackle? is it footwork? Does Sloan stand too upright? I dunno..

If Sloan started breaking tackles im ok with the slow defensive progression.... one thing he started adding is a fend.. that is something he needs to do more of.. i've seen him pull it off twice, and with his long arms, it seemed to help him avoid the tackle completely.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Im not sure what it is about Sloans running... but the difference is your opposition looks forward to Sloan hitting it up so they can belt him.. but when Faalago or Papenhausen or Reece or Chery or Talagi or Ponga or Campbell or Brimson or Kini or Hammer or Fuller run (and I could double that list tbh).. when those fullbacks run its scary as sh*t.. u mess up and they are away.... what is different, is it the attacking fullback truly believeing they will break your tackle? is it footwork? Does Sloan stand too upright? I dunno..

If Sloan started breaking tackles im ok with the slow defensive progression.... one thing he started adding is a fend.. that is something he needs to do more of.. i've seen him pull it off twice, and with his long arms, it seemed to help him avoid the tackle completely.
Sad but true. I guess Sloan isn't going to make it.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Sad but true. I guess Sloan isn't going to make it.
My view is that too.. but even if he can do a job until someone better comes along.. Ive given up getting too worked up over it as I dont want to be too negative all the time, he has a lot of fans.. and he has his really positive attributes too... things that Lomax or MaxF wouldn't bring.

I think hes still our guy, but if he gets dropped at some stage, that's the sign.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
My view is that too.. but even if he can do a job until someone better comes along.. Ive given up getting too worked up over it as I dont want to be too negative all the time, he has a lot of fans.. and he has his really positive attributes too... things that Lomax or MaxF wouldn't bring.

I think hes still our guy, but if he gets dropped at some stage, that's the sign.
But then again, maybe it's too early to write him off just yet. Look at how his bomb taking has improved. His defence might improve too. The problem is his running game, as strange at that seems. I know he does some BS things in attack (meant in a good way) but not even close to often enough.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Papenhausen
I've seen him and Campbell rag dolled. Even the best can be also at times as it is one against two/three defenders trying to stop you making a telling kick return.
I have also seen Sloan beat a man in a heart beat with a jink, a swerve or a step and he is away in a flash. This heavy marking now being put on him has nullified this to a large extent, but with more bulk and his neat fending he will be able to also break tackles and be a real handful.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I've seen him and Campbell rag dolled. Even the best can be also at times as it is one against two/three defenders trying to stop you making a telling kick return.
I have also seen Sloan beat a man in a heart beat with a jink, a swerve or a step and he is away in a flash. This heavy marking now being put on him has nullified this to a large extent, but with more bulk and his neat fending he will be able to also break tackles and be a real handful.
I agree. I think Papenhuyzen is overrated. He had 2 breakout seasons but since his injuries, opposition have caught onto his game. He was mostly good for just always being around the ball in attack and getting 3 or 4 times the number of touches Sloan usually gets.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
But then again, maybe it's too early to write him off just yet. Look at how his bomb taking has improved.
Agree. He is now more mature with an improved attitude to his game by acting on his past frailties. I believe the credit for this goes to Dean Young. Deano now needs to keep drumming into him, tackling technique.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
getting 3 or 4 times the number of touches Sloan usually gets.
Sloans involvement has doubled this year, just that he is not making those dangerous breaks and back ups due to excessive marking. I like it when he looks for the ball but his talent is wasted simply passing from dummy half, prefer he took on the markers instead with his blinding pace and or ball skills..

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Sloans involvement has doubled this year, just that he is not making those dangerous breaks and back ups due to excessive marking. I like it when he looks for the ball but his talent is wasted simply passing from dummy half, prefer he took on the markers instead.
But still not close to as much as Papenhuyzen used to be in and around the ball.

I think we need a bigger fullback. Like Tedesco, Ponga, Hayne, Dugan, Trbojevic, Darius Boyd. I think Mitchell and Inglis are a bit too big for fullback. We could get away with a smaller fullback if we had a much better team all across the park like Melbourne and Brisbane do.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
with such easy accessibility to watch replays.
Firsts yes, but as you and I know not the lower grades, free anyway. A group of us on LU approached our club about streaming all l/g matches. Naturally we were knocked back, with a vague proviso that 'we may do it in the future'.
Have to say I was very surprised when I found the Ball GF replay on YT

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Firsts yes, but as you and I know not the lower grades, free anyway. A group of us on LU approached our club about streaming all l/g matches. Naturally we were knocked back, with a vague proviso that 'we may do it in the future'.
Have to say I was very surprised when I found the replay on YT
Predictable