NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg, 2024

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I'm so tired of our slow backline.
So am I yet the coach dont seem bothered, extending Matt promoting CT and if he has his way he'd still want Bird in centres, instead of the also slow Max. Other teams must lick their lips when they see they are playing us with our lack of back line speed.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Rumble or Sloan at fullback.
Sloan or Ramsay. Rumble putting on 10kg will only add to his lack of speed and we have sufficient slow backs as it is. How was Ramsays defense before he got sick. I dont recall it being any better than Sloan.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Then he'll likely be less quick and elusive/agile and more suited to the pack, say a ball playing lock. This guy does not grab me, not be worried if he went elsewhere to be honest.
He has a big frame to put a lot of weight on and in the short term, like until mid 20s, make him faster. Whether he makes it or not, he's going to have pressure from Lucas Borg. And they are both going to be pressuring Sloan.

Eric

Staff
Two Jack Quinns??? Not your doing Eric Eric, blame News Corp as every bloody week they print Jack Quinn for Nick Quinn. The #12 shud be Jack Quine. Scored a sensational try a couple of weeks back.
Sorry! Every week they do it and I have to manually correct it. Thanks for pointing it out when I forget.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Justamug im sure can comment on Ramsays status, but I think there is still next to no chance he gets the sort of physical size and strength required to play 1st grade.. even if he did years surely to get his body right, fullbacks require elite fitness.

His defence however was decent in that he was fearless.. he threw himself 110% into everything.. and he was a rock under the high-ball.. but honestly he wont save our situation.. I dont think we have our next fullback in our system currently.. not sure BRumble will get there fast enough.

I do think another 5kg on Sloan will really help though.. I dont want to rag on him though.. hes the best we have currently.. and for all his flaws he has some perks and hes definitely trying and slowly improving... but I've never really been a fan of him being in the squad... I wanted Stewart but he doesnt seem to have worked out either.. and it feels like a repeat of Dufty as a 1st grader... that mantra of 'oh but what about next year'... it rarely works out, but again hes the best we got atm and we've won 9 games.. it could be a lot worse.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Justamug im sure can comment on Ramsays status, but I think there is still next to no chance he gets the sort of physical size and strength required to play 1st grade.. even if he did years surely to get his body right, fullbacks require elite fitness.
Analysis = true

I wish him well of course but he was only average even before his sickness.
His defence however was decent in that he was fearless.. he threw himself 110% into everything.. and he was a rock under the high-ball.. but honestly he wont save our situation.. I dont think we have our next fullback in our system currently.. not sure BRumble will get there fast enough.

I do think another 5kg on Sloan will really help though.. I dont want to rag on him though.. hes the best we have currently.. and for all his flaws he has some perks and hes definitely trying and slowly improving... but I've never really been a fan of him being in the squad... I wanted Stewart but he doesnt seem to have worked out either.. and it feels like a repeat of Dufty as a 1st grader... that mantra of 'oh but what about next year'... it rarely works out, but again hes the best we got atm and we've won 9 games.. it could be a lot worse.
Slowly improving. Very Slowly. Not just his defence but he runs for so few metres compared to I think every other regular fullback.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Not just his defence but he runs for so few metres compared to I think every other regular fullback.
This is the bit that not many fans seem to notice.. you can forgive some defensive issues if he is busting tackles left & right like most young fullbacks do (including Stewart before he left), but Sloan (like dufty) does not actually break out of tackles.. if someone gets a hand on him he goes down.. which means he is not getting those 30+ metre runs that boost the stats of the other fullbacks.

Sloans strength is his speed "in open space", and so supporting offloaders is his best chance to be in space and use his speed.. but most of those young fullbacks who break tackles (bula, faalago, chevy etc).. can do both.. but it is what it is.. but if are persisting with Sloan, we need to maximise his opportunities to use his strengths.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Analysis = true

I wish him well of course but he was only average even before his sickness.

Slowly improving. Very Slowly. Not just his defence but he runs for so few metres compared to I think every other regular fullback.
Analysis = Not tru

After recovering from serious illness strength and power often bounces back much more than before. Maybe it won't happen with Ramsey. Have to wait and see.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Cody is progressing well he is getting more involved in opposed session every week. His speed and game awareness still looks good. He has a long way to go with weight and muscle mass but if he continues progressing with no setbacks I can see him play Cup at some point next year.
Hope he goes well but seems like a lot to come back from.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I rated him better than average, speed to burn, involvement, energy and character. He grabbed the fullback position when everyone was talking up Sloan.
Yaaa... I was one of his fans when everyone wrote him off based on basically 1 game where he dropped 2 bombs... it was mostly because he was holding out Sloan (their 'preferred' junior)... he went away and worked on that technique.. and when he came back he was bullet-proof, just went all in on bombs legs up cuddled the ball to the ground every time.

Also watched him get dropped and be forced to play on the wing and centres every time.. not once did they give him the fullback gig in cup.. and I remember so clearly one week when he shredded the opposition from centre and he had a new haircut.. a friend of mine who is a dragons tragic commented "Who is that new centre we signed?" he didnt even recognise our own player shredding from centre.. I mean Cody could have been sooking about being dropped or always playing away from his preferred position (like a few have in this current 1st grade team).. that sort of tenacity will take you places.. even beyond footy.

But anyway.. rly hope we see him again, even in nsw cup... would be such a good story.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Yaaa... I was one of his fans when everyone wrote him off based on basically 1 game where he dropped 2 bombs... it was mostly because he was holding out Sloan (their 'preferred' junior)... he went away and worked on that technique.. and when he came back he was bullet-proof, just went all in on bombs legs up cuddled the ball to the ground every time.

Also watched him get dropped and be forced to play on the wing and centres every time.. not once did they give him the fullback gig in cup.. and I remember so clearly one week when he shredded the opposition from centre and he had a new haircut.. a friend of mine who is a dragons tragic commented "Who is that new centre we signed?" he didnt even recognise our own player shredding from centre.. I mean Cody could have been sooking about being dropped or always playing away from his preferred position (like a few have in this current 1st grade team).. that sort of tenacity will take you places.. even beyond footy.

But anyway.. rly hope we see him again, even in nsw cup... would be such a good story.
If he puts on more weight than he had before he got sick, like another 10kgs to make him in the 90s, he's every chance of pushing out Sloan. At least put some pressure on Slaon. Someone needs to.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Borg was fullback I think in all or most of the Steelers SG games this year, hes definitely a prospect.. I mean TPH was more exciting at that level in attack and defence.. but Borg has a bigger frame so such is life.. perhaps a better chance... didnt look huge in SG though, all the outside backs apart from williams looked a bit boyish still to me, but im sure they will grow quick.. agree looks solid in that clip above.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Borg was fullback I think in all or most of the Steelers SG games this year, hes definitely a prospect.. I mean TPH was more exciting at that level in attack and defence.. but Borg has a bigger frame so such is life.. perhaps a better chance... didnt look huge in SG though, all the outside backs apart from williams looked a bit boyish still to me, but im sure they will grow quick.. agree looks solid in that clip above.
Wouldn't think about how big various teenagers are too much just yet. Several of the smaller 17 year-olds might grow much later than Williams for example. Though TPH is tiny for a fullback. Would be good if he could transition into a halfback or hooker. Otherwise not too confident about him.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Wouldn't think about how big various teenagers are too much just yet. Several of the smaller 17 year-olds might grow much later than Williams for example.
1000% im with you, im talking from a short-term perspective only.. they will all put on heaps of mass yet, Williams the one who stood out from the others though because a) his speed is elite and b) because he was already physically bigger as a 19yr old.. it would be easier to come quickly through the grades.. I wish I could see more than just highlights of these Flegg games to see how hes going.