NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg, 2024

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Alec T hasnt played first grade (bar preseason).. tbh I think its because Flanno hasnt got him factored in for 2025.. so why waste the development time, particularly when we have several others that need it.. Fifita got a lot of the games early but I think he gave up on him at some point.. since then its MMolo and Couchies.. tbh our injury count this year have been pretty kind... Ryan cant get a start.

I will say that Alec T always impresses me with his runs off the back fence, but someone pointed out the stats.. and both Couchmans usually have triple his metres when they all play at the same time.. numbers arent everything, but hard to argue.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Alec T hasnt played first grade (bar preseason).. tbh I think its because Flanno hasnt got him factored in for 2025.. so why waste the development time, particularly when we have several others that need it.. Fifita got a lot of the games early but I think he gave up on him at some point.. since then its MMolo and Couchies.. tbh our injury count this year have been pretty kind... Ryan cant get a start.

I will say that Alec T always impresses me with his runs off the back fence, but someone pointed out the stats.. and both Couchmans usually have triple his metres when they all play at the same time.. numbers arent everything, but hard to argue.
I've like what I've seen of him as well. Surprised his run metres aren't very good.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Although the Flegg won comfortably I don't think they played that well. The Fiji boys very physical 3 on report.

Rumble 4 tries and an assist, his long stride gets him in the gap but he has a lot of work to do in other parts of his game.
Cyrus stood out again with some good runs played centre again last 20min
Finau impressive again starting to offload as he gets more comfortable.
The halfs combined well.
Jesse moved to left side and seem to get more ball. I'd say 10 runs for 80-90m
No stats yet

Last edited:

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I got to see the earlier Dragons/Fiji game in round 3, and I was surprised by physical the silktails were.. I didnt think the win was assured until later on when eventually we got on top of their defensive deficiencies.. but the fiji boys are yet to win a game.. so this must be a theme.

o Hopefully Rumble trains with first grade over the off-season, I think Rumble is the cup fullback next year, but he needs to start rounding out that game, they are big shoes to fill if he keeps moving up... there is noone else between him and Sloan.. other than fill-ins like Matt Feagai or Allan.

o Stanley-Traill has been playing a lot of ctr, is it just to fit all the boys in the squad, or are they really contemplating he might play there in higher grades? I think I watched him get burnt earlier in the year in that position, hes a big unit.

o I noticed Jesse was back on the left, wasnt sure if he is far more comfortable there or not, thats where he played in SG, I assumed maybe he moved to make life easier for Barnes perhaps.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Just a Mug Fan Just a Mug Fan , is Buchanan injured? Also noticed Hamish Stewart 18th man for NSW Cup, but looking at the bench.. hes just forced out because its close to full strength with MMolo, Coric and Tonga in front of him. I think thats fair, I was commenting elsewhere that Tonga in just a few games has already gone past Stewart in the pecking order (imo).. and I think hes just warming up still. Havent written Stewart off, but I reckon he needs another 12mths before we can judge him.

Few missing from Jersey Flegg also.. centre combination of Watching and Stanley-Traill.. 2 x 2nd rowers, was wondering if we would see Watchirs again.

Eric

Staff

NSW Cup Round 20 vs Western Suburbs​

Jersey Flegg vs Wests Tigers​

1. Lyhkan King-Togia
  2. Sione Finau
  3. Jackson Shereb
  4. Ben Johnson
  5. Savelio Tamale
  6. Fa'amanu Brown
  7. Jonah Glover
  8. Viliami Fifita
  9. Connor Muhleisen
  10. Alec Tuitavake
  11. Dylan Egan
  12. Dan Russell
  13. Ryan Couchman

14. Haele Finau
  15. Michael Molo
  16. Josh Coric
  17. Loko Jnr Pasifiki Tonga
  1. Ben Rumble
  2. Cain Barnes
  3. Campbell Watchirs
  4. Cyrus Stanley-Traill
  5. Jesse Williams
  6. Jack Quinn
  7. Ashton Ward
  8. Jett Liu
  9. Isaiah Fagalilo
  10. Jacob Webster
  11. Nicholas Tsougranis
  12. Jack Quinn
  13. Finau Latu

14. Kyan Hjaltason
  15. Travis Barrett-Hancock
  16. Ethan Arena
  17. Jacob Halangahu

18. Tom Kirk
  • What happened to Buchanan?
  • Is Shereb seen as a full-time centre now?
  • Another big but slow backline.
  • Good to see #17 still in NSW Cup. Hopefully he'll be NRL-ready next year.
  • Ryan Couchman might well be the fastest runner in the team. I think he's about the same as most of those backs.
  • Not many surprises here.
  • #1, #5, #7, #11, #13, #17 I think are the ones we should have high hopes for. At least in particular.
  • The names of #18, #16 are new, aren't they? Are they from the Illawarra SG Ball team?

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Just a Mug Fan Just a Mug Fan , is Buchanan injured? Also noticed Hamish Stewart 18th man for NSW Cup, but looking at the bench.. hes just forced out because its close to full strength with MMolo, Coric and Tonga in front of him. I think thats fair, I was commenting elsewhere that Tonga in just a few games has already gone past Stewart in the pecking order (imo).. and I think hes just warming up still. Havent written Stewart off, but I reckon he needs another 12mths before we can judge him.

Few missing from Jersey Flegg also.. centre combination of Watching and Stanley-Traill.. 2 x 2nd rowers, was wondering if we would see Watchirs again.

Didn't notice him missing, I'll ask.
Edit HIA wasn't picked up in game delayed effects. He's out for 2 weeks

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg

NSW Cup Round 20 vs Western Suburbs​

Jersey Flegg vs Wests Tigers​

1. Lyhkan King-Togia
  2. Sione Finau
  3. Jackson Shereb
  4. Ben Johnson
  5. Savelio Tamale
  6. Fa'amanu Brown
  7. Jonah Glover
  8. Viliami Fifita
  9. Connor Muhleisen
  10. Alec Tuitavake
  11. Dylan Egan
  12. Dan Russell
  13. Ryan Couchman

14. Haele Finau
  15. Michael Molo
  16. Josh Coric
  17. Loko Jnr Pasifiki Tonga
  1. Ben Rumble
  2. Cain Barnes
  3. Campbell Watchirs
  4. Cyrus Stanley-Traill
  5. Jesse Williams
  6. Jack Quinn
  7. Ashton Ward
  8. Jett Liu
  9. Isaiah Fagalilo
  10. Jacob Webster
  11. Nicholas Tsougranis
  12. Jack Quinn
  13. Finau Latu

14. Kyan Hjaltason
  15. Travis Barrett-Hancock
  16. Ethan Arena
  17. Jacob Halangahu

18. Tom Kirk
  • What happened to Buchanan?
  • Is Shereb seen as a full-time centre now?
  • Another big but slow backline.
  • Good to see #17 still in NSW Cup. Hopefully he'll be NRL-ready next year.
  • Ryan Couchman might well be the fastest runner in the team. I think he's about the same as most of those backs.
  • Not many surprises here.
  • #1, #5, #7, #11, #13, #17 I think are the ones we should have high hopes for. At least in particular.
  • The names of #18, #16 are new, aren't they? Are they from the Illawarra SG Ball team?

Ethan is a Dragons junior and TK Steelers, they have both played last 2 weeks.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
That is what I said. Lacks true pace and is not all that elusive. Touch and go for the top grade for mine.
Put 10ks or more of muscle on that frame and he'll be a tackle breaking machine. And that is far from unrealistic. I think he might put that on before round 1 next year.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup

Sione Finau is back. 👍 King-Togia unable to crack a regular 5/8 spot. But is he a born full back. Doubt it, perhaps a lock when he fills out or a utility. Brown is better than Ressies for mine. He'd be my utility now instead of Bird who Flanagan cant seem to keep dropped.

Last edited:

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
The rubber kind of hits the road at this point though.. Rumble is probably the NSW Cup #1 next year (unless Sloan drops back), that means hes in the queue for first grade injury cover... he has to be progressing quickly by that point.... I dont see enough Flegg to know how that is coming along.

The other possibility is LKT plays fullback next year.. I mean I dont think its his ideal spot.. but if they did sign Shuster or Marshke stays etc.. I mean it could play out like that.. they have been backing LKT for a few years now..

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
The rubber kind of hits the road at this point though.. Rumble is probably the NSW Cup #1 next year (unless Sloan drops back), that means hes in the queue for first grade injury cover... he has to be progressing quickly by that point.... I dont see enough Flegg to know how that is coming along.

The other possibility is LKT plays fullback next year.. I mean I dont think its his ideal spot.. but if they did sign Shuster or Marshke stays etc.. I mean it could play out like that.. they have been backing LKT for a few years now..
LKT has skills but FFS, I'm so tired of our slow backline. Ramsey might be back next year and be able to play on the wing or even centre. Rumble or Sloan at fullback. Either Feagai and Suli in the centres. LKT hopefully 5/8. That will be a much faster backline than we have now.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
  • Jack Quinn
  • Ashton Ward
  • Jett Liu
  • Isaiah Fagalilo
  • Jacob Webster
  • Nicholas Tsougranis
  • Jack Quinn
Two Jack Quinns??? Not your doing Eric Eric, blame News Corp as every bloody week they print Jack Quinn for Nick Quinn. The #12 shud be Jack Quine. Scored a sensational try a couple of weeks back.

Last edited: