OUR NEW HEAD COACH COMES HOME.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I think Hunt isn't a good game manager. Excellent ball runner, poor game manager.
Look everyone is entitled to their own opinions however when I talk about managing a game from a coaches perspective that means to me your playmaker has the awareness to utilise his own skills but more importantly the skills of the players you are playing with, changing a game plan, positioning/ directing players on the field. The issue here is that those other players must have the ability to do their prescribed tasks and be able to adjust. We really don't have those players hence our position on the ladder. It is easy to direct your ire at the teams playmaker and cpt but there are a lot of other issues on the field that affects the playmakers management of the game. There is no I in team.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Sullivan needs time to learn his trade and needs a good teacher. In my personal view he just doesn't have that experience and knowledge to manage a game at this stage
Probably right. Now is a good time to get that experience. If it doesn't work out, offer 900k for 3 years to that English halfback who used to play for Canberra.

• Wow
Reactions: QDF

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
when I talk about managing a game from a coaches perspective that means to me your playmaker has the awareness to utilise his own skills but more importantly the skills of the players you are playing with, changing a game plan, positioning/ directing players on the field. The issue here is that those other players must have the ability to do their prescribed tasks and be able to adjust. We really don't have those players hence our position on the ladder. It is easy to direct your ire at the teams playmaker and cpt but there are a lot of other issues on the field that affects the playmakers management of the game. There is no I in team.
Don't you feel Hunt fails in those areas? I mean, in the bold text.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Have a look at some replays. You can see him directing players into the positions to execute the next play and those players are not up to the task either intentionally or because of fatigue. He does try but managing includes the ability to direct players and as I have been saying for the last 2 seasons we had a playing group split between the pro Hunt/ Griffin and the Lomax/Lawrie give him the flick that most definitely has affected our on field performances and Hunt seeking a release most certainly will not help his cause. I openly stated he should not be captain because I know first hand what happens when you have such a disruption, the affect of that request has had on the other players we will continue to see tonight

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Have a look at some replays. You can see him directing players into the positions to execute the next play and those players are not up to the task either intentionally or because of fatigue. He does try but managing includes the ability to direct players and as I have been saying for the last 2 seasons we had a playing group split between the pro Hunt/ Griffin and the Lomax/Lawrie give him the flick that most definitely has affected our on field performances and Hunt seeking a release most certainly will not help his cause. I openly stated he should not be captain because I know first hand what happens when you have such a disruption, the affect of that request has had on the other players we will continue to see tonight
So there:ROFLMAO:!
I agree with Morgan Morgan but I don't look at what's happening not around the ball as much as jodragon40 jodragon40. I don't really look at all to be honest. Just look at what's happening directly around the ball.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I agree with Morgan Morgan but I don't look at what's happening not around the ball as much as jodragon40 jodragon40. I don't really look at all to be honest. Just look at what's happening directly around the ball.
Well as I said everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I can guarantee you one thing as a cpt and a playmaker you have to manage the team and at last count that was 16 other players so if a group of those players don't want to be managed then you have a big problem

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I don't notice as much about what's happening in the background as jodragon either. When I look just what's happening around the ball, I think Hunt is overrated.

Eric

Staff
jodragon40 jodragon40 sees all🥸
Spy Spying GIF by ION

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
The issue here is that those other players must have the ability to do their prescribed tasks and be able to adjust. We really don't have those players
In the more than five years Hunt has been our half he has never been able to carry out those tasks you said of a good game manager even when we had a better roster than now. Lets be honest Hunt can barely manage his own game let alone the team. He has a good kicking game and is dangerous with his darting runs close to the line. I suppose he is a fair captain. As for ball in hand which is a halves greatest asset he is inept. Sloan would make a better game manager than him and probably Sully, failing them we have some promising junior halves to take us into the next decade..

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
In the more than five years Hunt has been our half he has never been able to carry out those tasks you said of a good game manager even when we had a better roster than now. Lets be honest Hunt can barely manage his own game let alone the team. He has a good kicking game and is dangerous with his darting runs close to the line. I suppose he is a fair captain. As for ball in hand which is a halves greatest asset he is inept. Sloan would make a better game manager than him and probably Sully, failing them we have some promising junior halves to take us into the next decade

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Well we will agree to disagree. My view putting on that dusty old cobwebbed coaches hat on, the better teams in the competition have 2 actual playmakers.
Teams play best when they have both organisers and game breakers on the field. One of the halves will often control the pattern of play, while the other waits for the right moment to strike. The best examples of this could be seen In more recent times Cleary/Luai, Munster/Hughes, Reynolds /Walker, one organises manages the game whilst the other plays eyes up football. Now let's be fair here with Hunt who has he had in those 5 yrs you have mentioned? yes that's correct Nobody. So obviously as an opposition coach what do you base your defensive game on? , yes your right again at the one and only playmaker hence our inability to break open a game or even set up any 2nd phase plays or execute your attacking structures. The old saying 'Left out like a shag on a rock'. That has been Hunt, without him we would have lost more games. I was really hoping that Sullivan /Sloan would have progressed more because that combination in future years could be very fruitful but until that happens we are going to struggle. Just my views.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Well we will agree to disagree. My view putting on that dusty old cobwebbed coaches hat on, the better teams in the competition have 2 actual playmakers.
Teams play best when they have both organisers and game breakers on the field. One of the halves will often control the pattern of play, while the other waits for the right moment to strike. The best examples of this could be seen In more recent times Cleary/Luai, Munster/Hughes, Reynolds /Walker, one organises manages the game whilst the other plays eyes up football. Now let's be fair here with Hunt who has he had in those 5 yrs you have mentioned? yes that's correct Nobody. So obviously as an opposition coach what do you base your defensive game on? , yes your right again at the one and only playmaker hence our inability to break open a game or even set up any 2nd phase plays or execute your attacking structures. The old saying 'Left out like a shag on a rock'. That has been Hunt, without him we would have lost more games. Just my views.
Personally I don't like Hunt but this does make sense.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Personally I don't like Hunt but this does make sense.
I just modified my last post to add a bit more. Personally what Hunt has done if and that is a big if that he actually asked for an immediate release is so wrong and smells of despair. As a coach I would have done exactly what Flanagan did and laid down the law to him but also giving him some hope that the future would be better for him.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Teams play best when they have both organisers and game breakers on the field. One of the halves will often control the pattern of play, while the other waits for the right moment to strike. The best examples of this could be seen In more recent times Cleary/Luai, Munster/Hughes, Reynolds /Walker, one organises manages the game whilst the other plays eyes up football. Now let's be fair here with Hunt who has he had in those 5 yrs you have mentioned? yes that's correct Nobody. So obviously as an opposition coach what do you base your defensive game on? , yes your right again at the one and only playmaker hence our inability to break open a game or even set up any 2nd phase plays or execute your attacking structures. The old saying 'Left out like a shag on a rock'. That has been Hunt, without him we would have lost more games. I was really hoping that Sullivan /Sloan would have progressed more because that combination in future years could be very fruitful but until that happens we are going to struggle. Just my views.
Sorry Jo when we had a fullback (Dufty) that we didn't want and yes his a defence was a problem , but was our top try scorer , and most try assists and line breaks , doesn't say much about our 7 ....... Hunt is a good individual player but definitely not a 7 that can manage a game .......

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I just modified my last post to add a bit more. Personally what Hunt has done if and that is a big if that he actually asked for an immediate release is so wrong and smells of despair. As a coach I would have done exactly what Flanagan did and laid down the law to him but also giving him some hope that the future would be better for him.
Understand where your coming from. I just don't like him. Not especially before and really not now. I'd have told him to pay up a certain amout to leave. If he agreed, send him on his way immediately once paid.

Couldn't just let him walk. Had/have to get some compensation.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Understand where your coming from. I just don't like him. Not especially before and really not now. I'd have told him to pay up a certain amout to leave. If he agreed, send him on his way immediately once paid.

Couldn't just let him walk. Had/have to get some compensation.
The Dragons didn't have a choice my info was if they allowed him to go then at the very least 2 other players would have been knocking on the same door.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Sorry Jo when we had a fullback (Dufty) that we didn't want and yes his a defence was a problem , but was our top try scorer , and most try assists and line breaks , doesn't say much about our 7 ....... Hunt is a good individual player but definitely not a 7 that can manage a game .......
No need to be sorry we all have our views and in any forum that should be encouraged

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
The Dragons didn't have a choice my info was if they allowed him to go then at the very least 2 other players would have been knocking on the same door.
Yes agree , they had to hold the Aces , but like I have said before and now , he had done nothing as a play maker , I can't see him seeing out his contract ......