OUR NEXT HEAD COACH

Flicka

SGI Junior League
As this subject is of vital significance to our club's future it deserves its own thread.

Who is aware of this?
Prior to the appointment of Griffin as head coach, the Dragons board plus Shane Flanagan, who had been banned by the NRL, approached the NRL requesting that the ban be waived so that Flanagan could be appointed head coach at the Dragons. The request was denied and so Griffin was appointed head coach.
Not me. Ryles' withdrawal is a godsend. He is well thought of in footy circles but is a rookie coach. Flannagan is the logical choice, premiership winner, knows the game and is likely to attract class players to the club.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Not me. Ryles' withdrawal is a godsend. He is well thought of in footy circles but is a rookie coach. Flannagan is the logical choice, premiership winner, knows the game and is likely to attract class players to the club.
Welcome to the forum , I also wasnt keen on Ryles , he may turn out ok , but a rookie ........ Flanno or the mad Professor for me .......

Pro Dragons

SGI Junior League
Agree, Flannagan is a no brainer. He turned an average team into premiers. Unfortunately our board can‘t see the forest for the trees.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Dragons board approached the NRL requesting that the ban be waived so that Flanagan could be appointed head coach at the Dragons.

$6k question, why then was Flanagan not considered after Griffin was sacked as his ban had ended. Do we or do we not still have the same Board as then , other than Young, presiding today.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Hasler would be my first choice. Just a nose in front of Flanagan. But honestly, I'd be perfectly happy with either.

Eric

Staff
Yep they have had enough of no exposure playing finals footy ...... They are better off putting their label on something else .......
There is a simple solution. Appoint Hasler or Flanagan for 3 years and promise them control of the team. It's 3 years. After 11 years of abject failure, it's worth the risk, if there even is a risk!

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
JUST AS I THOUGHT THEY ARE SO PREDICTABLE :
Jason Ryles knocked back the Dragons coaching job on Wednesday because the club refused to allow him to oversee all areas of football operations.

The Melbourne Storm have since confirmed Ryles will join in 2024 as an assistant to Craig Bellamy.

A source close to the Dragons has told Wide World of Sports Ryles wanted a Wayne Bennett-like situation where he had a say in coaching, recruitment and development and had carte blanche to bring in his own team.

FOLLOW LIVE: State of Origin game one 2023

READ MORE: Lockyer's grim 'omen' reveal after training towel-up

READ MORE: Another premiership star set to leave Panthers

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fac2e2bad-e232-4025-ab0b-6fc49be729b0
Jason Ryles has reportedly rejected the head coaching role at the Dragons. (Getty)
Ryles had been in talks with the Dragons for several days and was close to signing a four-year deal.

But when the club refused to meet his conditions, he baulked at the offer and will now join Melbourne as an assistant coach next season - and wait for Craig Bellamy to retire.

A former Dragons star who has served a long apprenticeship in the game at the Roosters and Storm, Ryles would have been a great fit for the Dragons.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
JUST AS I THOUGHT THEY ARE SO PREDICTABLE :
Jason Ryles knocked back the Dragons coaching job on Wednesday because the club refused to allow him to oversee all areas of football operations.

The Melbourne Storm have since confirmed Ryles will join in 2024 as an assistant to Craig Bellamy.

A source close to the Dragons has told Wide World of Sports Ryles wanted a Wayne Bennett-like situation where he had a say in coaching, recruitment and development and had carte blanche to bring in his own team.

FOLLOW LIVE: State of Origin game one 2023

READ MORE: Lockyer's grim 'omen' reveal after training towel-up

READ MORE: Another premiership star set to leave Panthers

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fac2e2bad-e232-4025-ab0b-6fc49be729b0
Jason Ryles has reportedly rejected the head coaching role at the Dragons. (Getty)
Ryles had been in talks with the Dragons for several days and was close to signing a four-year deal.

But when the club refused to meet his conditions, he baulked at the offer and will now join Melbourne as an assistant coach next season - and wait for Craig Bellamy to retire.

A former Dragons star who has served a long apprenticeship in the game at the Roosters and Storm, Ryles would have been a great fit for the Dragons.
Peter Doust's fingerprints all over this. Hopefully it will lead to the other board members telling him to STFU and allow Flanno to be appointed. If the rumours are true about him not being considered because Doust was against it.

Red T

SGI Jersey Flegg
As this subject is of vital significance to our club's future it deserves its own thread.

Who is aware of this?
Prior to the appointment of Griffin as head coach, the Dragons board plus Shane Flanagan, who had been banned by the NRL, approached the NRL requesting that the ban be waived so that Flanagan could be appointed head coach at the Dragons. The request was denied and so Griffin was appointed head coach.
I think it is good he did not sign…..No rookie coach should be offered the deal he wanted. If he does good then they can upgrade his contract. But until then…. Anyway, Hornby is a better option than the Machiavellian Jason Ryles ! Let the Benedict Arnold go to the Storm ! He won’t be head coach there either. Slater will get the job ! There are not many head coaching jobs so I think he may have missed his chance….But does anyone know if Hasler would be interested in the job. Unlike Griffin he has a good record as a head coach….