Recruitment and Retention for 2024

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Rumour going around Wests Tigers are going to make a play for Suli on November 1. Let him go! Lomax and Tamale are our long-term centres.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I don't think he's worth that.
It's a lot but that's how much Origin second rowers are paid these days. Though I think Manlys Olakau’atu is better. If Dragons are in need of a backrower, if Flanno isn't happy with who the club has already, turn Suli into a backrower.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Koloamatangi want 900ķ to come to us, that is what we are up against.
Would think it wouldn't take much to outbid Souths. Something like an extra 50k on top of what they are offering over 4 years turns into very significant money. Problem is, his management would inflate what Souths are offering. IMO because of his age and ability, he's worth about 800k in the cap as it is now.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Would think it wouldn't take much to outbid Souths. Something like an extra 50k on top of what they are offering over 4 years turns into very significant money. Problem is, his management would inflate what Souths are offering. IMO because of his age and ability, he's worth about 800k in the cap as it is now.
How long has it been since the club brought it's own rep forward through the grades? Last one was JDB and before that, Dean Young or Ben Creagh?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Surprised the Warriors are letting him go. They must have some seriously good second rowers just about ready for first grade.
They do remember the Dragons back rower we let go to the Warriors? Jackson Ford, he had an outstanding season. Perhaps I can get a job with our Retention and recruitment team?

Eric

Staff
They do remember the Dragons back rower we let go to the Warriors? Jackson Ford, he had an outstanding season. Perhaps I can get a job with our Retention and recruitment team?
I was trying to think of who their backrowers were. I remembered the bloke from Parra (Niakore?). Of course I forgot Jackson Ford. Nothing smells like a failed couch more than swapping Ford for BMM. What was Griffin thinking??? Lost his mind!

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

JACK DE BELIN

It’s been a good six years since Jack de Belin was on the open market but that’s where he’s heading if the Dragons don’t lock him in before November 1. The 32-year-old has spent his entire career in the Red V, playing 205 games since his NRL debut in 2011. The club stood by him when he was accused of sexual assault and he repaid the faith — and patience — when he knocked back a big-money offer from the Warriors in 2020 to re-sign with he Dragons in 2021. He’ll turn 33 in the opening rounds of next season so perhaps a new contract isn’t even in his plans. But the fact he put his hand up to represent the PNG Kumuls after turning down the opportunity in last year’s World Cup, suggests he still has more in the tank.

1 more year Flanno! Get it done.​

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg

JACK DE BELIN

It’s been a good six years since Jack de Belin was on the open market but that’s where he’s heading if the Dragons don’t lock him in before November 1. The 32-year-old has spent his entire career in the Red V, playing 205 games since his NRL debut in 2011. The club stood by him when he was accused of sexual assault and he repaid the faith — and patience — when he knocked back a big-money offer from the Warriors in 2020 to re-sign with he Dragons in 2021. He’ll turn 33 in the opening rounds of next season so perhaps a new contract isn’t even in his plans. But the fact he put his hand up to represent the PNG Kumuls after turning down the opportunity in last year’s World Cup, suggests he still has more in the tank.

1 more year Flanno! Get it done.​

Yes give him a year , he had a good rest from the game when he was fighting his charge , or do they let him go and put the money towards a younger aggressive player that we need .......... ?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Yes give him a year , he had a good rest from the game when he was fighting his charge , or do they let him go and put the money towards a younger aggressive player that we need .......... ?
I think he is eligible for a huge salary cap dispensation. He's been in the top 30 since he was 18, hasn't he? Isn't it something like 10% per year after 10 years?

Eric

Staff
But there are 2 more JDBs in Toby and Ryan Couchman now so..... I hope he gets one more year anyway.
Couchmans look like being JDB 2.0. Just as hard, just as skillful, plays just as long minutes but a bit bigger and faster. But I still hope JDB gets "at least" one more year. He was playing 70~80 min on a regular basis last season! Very few middle forwards do that and it's hardly like he ever goes missing.

Middle rotation including JDB, Couchman x 2, Lawrie and jodragon40 jodragon40 forward coach:confused:.

Last edited:

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
I think he is eligible for a huge salary cap dispensation. He's been in the top 30 since he was 18, hasn't he? Isn't it something like 10% per year after 10 years?
I believe it starts out at 5% after 8 years and then increases a little more each year until topping out at 20%. So he's at least costing 20% less per year in the cap. But then again, how many old forwards bodies give out. Can no longer cope with the big hits. Takes too long to recover after each game. Fatigue leads to more injuries. Their last season ends up being spent mainly on the sideline.