Recruitment and Retention for 2024

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Why isn't Sav ready? Big enough, fast enough, skillful enough. Lots of other teams select 19 year-olds and younger. Especially in the backs.
I am with you. If Flanno didn't want him he'd not be in the 30. He and Finau.
I see Flanno going with this scenario for early rounds when Sloan will be absent, Zac to the back with Tamale in his place, and hopefully Finau in for useless Matt Feagai. Chuck him back to Ressies where he can partner his brother in the centres.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
At this stage I don't think Tamale is ready for FG centre, his defensive reads need work, but he will get a shot on the wing at some point.
Egan has it all solid defence evasive running and has speed. Su'A has one edge the other is up for grabs. With injuries and suspension I see Egan debut this season.

Can't wait to see it. He has loads of ticker as well.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
From reading this thread, the only thing that is certain is that there are a lot of young players coming through the grades almost ready for first grade if not already ready.

This is probably Griffin's doing. He has a history of that. But just can't get his teams over the line as head coach. It'd probably be a masterstroke to have him further down the trough. Like head of pathways.

Eric

Staff
From reading this thread, the only thing that is certain is that there are a lot of young players coming through the grades almost ready for first grade if not already ready.

This is probably Griffin's doing. He has a history of that. But just can't get his teams over the line as head coach. It'd probably be a masterstroke to have him further down the trough. Like head of pathways.
But it seems he can't get on with his co-workers.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Paul Crawley says:
Ben Hunt is the NRL’s perfect example of why splashing big cash on a star playmaker is still no guarantee for success in today’s game for desperate clubs.

Since Hunt joined St George Illawarra in 2018 on a $1 million-a-season plus deal, the club has only played finals football once, in his first season after switching from the Broncos.

Yet, the Dragons have lost two coaches in Paul McGregor and Anthony Griffin, with Shane Flanagan now forced to start all over again.

While Hunt has been the Dragons’ best player in that time, it has not turned around the battling club’s fortunes, questioning whether their investment strategy was correct.

I agree. No matter how good anyone thinks Hunt is or isn't, he hasn't brought us success. Not even close.

Crawley then goes on to say:

TOM DEARDEN

Position: Five-eighth
Estimated worth: $750,000 to $900,000

Crawley’s verdict: The Cowboys are hoping Dearden will stay for less but the Dragons have made it abundantly clear how desperate they are to sign Dearden, even offering up the chance to play halfback.

Was on a reported $520,000 last season but can expect a generous pay rise no matter where he lands. Yet the jury’s out on if Dearden is capable/ready to become the chief playmaker.

What is in his favour is he is so competitive and courageous, you wouldn’t think a big-money contract will have any impact on Dearden’s motivation going forward.

It's a hard one. Dragons need a big signing and need someone in the halves. But is Dearden worth around 1mil a year? I have my doubts.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Paul Crawley says:
Ben Hunt is the NRL’s perfect example of why splashing big cash on a star playmaker is still no guarantee for success in today’s game for desperate clubs.

Since Hunt joined St George Illawarra in 2018 on a $1 million-a-season plus deal, the club has only played finals football once, in his first season after switching from the Broncos.

Yet, the Dragons have lost two coaches in Paul McGregor and Anthony Griffin, with Shane Flanagan now forced to start all over again.

While Hunt has been the Dragons’ best player in that time, it has not turned around the battling club’s fortunes, questioning whether their investment strategy was correct.

I agree. No matter how good anyone thinks Hunt is or isn't, he hasn't brought us success. Not even close.

Crawley then goes on to say:

TOM DEARDEN

Position: Five-eighth
Estimated worth: $750,000 to $900,000

Crawley’s verdict: The Cowboys are hoping Dearden will stay for less but the Dragons have made it abundantly clear how desperate they are to sign Dearden, even offering up the chance to play halfback.

Was on a reported $520,000 last season but can expect a generous pay rise no matter where he lands. Yet the jury’s out on if Dearden is capable/ready to become the chief playmaker.

What is in his favour is he is so competitive and courageous, you wouldn’t think a big-money contract will have any impact on Dearden’s motivation going forward.

It's a hard one. Dragons need a big signing and need someone in the halves. But is Dearden worth around 1mil a year? I have my doubts.
No he's not