Recruitment and Retention for 2024

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
No he's not
Either was Hunt six years ago, not even half that. Still not worth that kinda coin. Crawley says Hunt has never taken us to a final, yet "he is the best player in the team". Kinda contradicting himself. I'd be prepared to take a punt on a 22 year old with promise who will develop under Flanagan, Young and Lawson, but at 800K max. Let him prove himself in three years time whether he is worth a mill.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
At this stage I don't think Tamale is ready for FG centre, his defensive reads need work, but he will get a shot on the wing at some point.
Didnt stop us giving Matt Feagai with abysmal defensive reads a FG spot. Tamale can work on any flaws better in the top grade with the best coaches. Pathway/lower grade coaches seem to forget defense is part of footy.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Stick up Hunts for comparison. Betting they are as bad, bar the kicking aspect.
Ok here we go, Ben Hunts stat's from 2023 are:
Try Assists - 19 - Ranked 8th
Tries - 8 - Ranked 62nd
Linebreaks - 8 - Ranked 108th
Linebreak Assists - 17 - Ranked 15th
Offloads - Ranked 19th
Kick Metres - Ranked 7th
Runs - Ranked 62nd
Run Metres - Ranked 156th
Missed Tackles - Ranked 20th

So we can clearly see he's not a big runner of the ball, missed a few tackles because he is the playmaker and the opposition run at him. Overall not bad

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
He was one of the worst halves in the comp in the second half of the year.
The stats don't indicate that, I have him rated in the top 10. My rankings
1. Cleary
2. Johnston
3. Reynolds
4. Cherry - Evans
5. Hynes
6. Moses
7. Hughes
8. Hunt
9. Hastings
10. Fogarty
Based on their individual stats

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

DRAGONS — C-

Recruits: Hame Sele (Rabbitohs), Kyle Flanagan (Bulldogs), Tom Eisenhuth (Storm)

The Dragons have had a quiet recruitment drive, even with Shane Flanagan making it clear he wanted to make several signings. The incoming coach first signed Hame Sele from the Rabbitohs, having played 72 NRL games to date. The 27-year-old made his first grade debut at the Dragons in 2017 and will likely become a key middle forward for the struggling Red V club.

Elsewhere, Tom Eisenhuth has also signed a one-year deal for the 2024 season, having played 58 games for the Storm and one for the Panthers. The 31-year-old brings a wealth of experience and will likely be a solid player to come off the bench under Flanagan.

However, the club’s most important signing is Kyle Flanagan who has become the Dragons’ starting No.6 after Junior Amone was stood down. The 25-year-old fell out of favour at the Bulldogs before moving to hooker and becoming a bench utility. But now he will once again feature in the halves, playing in the No.6 jersey alongside marquee man Ben Hunt. Without him, the Dragons would be scratching their heads to find a replacement five-eighth with Jayden Sullivan also departing for the Tigers.

The media seriously have some agendas. Or have they not seen Kyle Flanagan play at his last 3 clubs? If that's too difficult for them, they could check his stats from last year jodragon40 jodragon40 posted on the page before this. I'd sum it up as, Scary bad.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
1. Cleary
2. Johnston
3. Reynolds
4. Cherry - Evans
5. Hynes
6. Moses
7. Hughes
8. Hunt
9. Hastings
10. Fogarty
I know it's higher than a lot would have him but that's about the same as I would rate him and it's not very flattering. I think he was on quite a bit more money than #2, #3, #7. About the same as #5 and #6. Less than #1 and #4.

Eric

Staff
1. Cleary
2. Johnston
3. Reynolds
4. Cherry - Evans
5. Hynes
6. Moses
7. Hughes
8. Hunt
9. Hastings
10. Fogarty
  1. Cleary
  2. Johnson
  3. DCE
  4. Moses
  5. Hughes
  6. Hynes
  7. Hunt
  8. Reynolds
After that I'd tend to lump the rest pretty closely.

But as you often say, a half playing behind a crap forward pack is at a big disadvantage.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
I don't think he can unless he's part of the top 30 or on a development contract. I thought he would have a very good prop or backrower but I don't think he has the work ethnic to make the transition.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
We have approached Kulikefu Finefeuiaki
Despite having only one NRL starting game in the bank, Cowboys back rower Kulikefu Finefeuiaki is on target to land a massive pay rise

That is the conversation doing the rounds in the NRL player market as clubs headed by Shane Flanagan’s Dragons and Wayne Bennett’s Dolphins lead the charge for 19-year-old

The speculation is Finefeuiaki could fetch offers around $600,000-a-season if he ends up going to the highest bidder as his management negotiates his new deal.

And even if the more conservative estimates are closer to the mark, they reckon on his raw talent alone it would be enough to command in the vicinity of between $450,000 and $500,000 if Finefeuiaki chases the top dollar

Another source suggested Finefeuiaki won’t get that type of money for next season, but the offers would be staggered over the term of the contract to have him on the elite money come 2026.

But with a grand total of just 333 minutes of NRL football so far, there is no disputing Finefeuiaki has already emerged as one of the most in demand forwards coming off contract at the end of 2024.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Despite having only one NRL starting game in the bank, Cowboys back rower Kulikefu Finefeuiaki is on target to land a massive pay rise

That is the conversation doing the rounds in the NRL player market as clubs headed by Shane Flanagan’s Dragons and Wayne Bennett’s Dolphins lead the charge for 19-year-old

The speculation is Finefeuiaki could fetch offers around $600,000-a-season if he ends up going to the highest bidder as his management negotiates his new deal.

And even if the more conservative estimates are closer to the mark, they reckon on his raw talent alone it would be enough to command in the vicinity of between $450,000 and $500,000 if Finefeuiaki chases the top dollar

Another source suggested Finefeuiaki won’t get that type of money for next season, but the offers would be staggered over the term of the contract to have him on the elite money come 2026.

But with a grand total of just 333 minutes of NRL football so far, there is no disputing Finefeuiaki has already emerged as one of the most in demand forwards coming off contract at the end of 2024.

Club is going all in on the youth policy. Does it mean can't attract any existing big names?

Eric

Staff
Club is going all in on the youth policy. Does it mean can't attract any existing big names?
I like the idea. Build a young team over the next 2 years around JDB, Lomax, Hunt, Bird, Lawrie, Liddle.

Though in 3 years from now, it might be a worry without JDB, Hunt probably Liddle and Bird. Lawrie is a superstar prop either. I think he might not cut it in 3 years. Might have to recruit a few veterans.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I like the idea. Build a young team over the next 2 years around JDB, Lomax, Hunt, Bird, Lawrie, Liddle.

Though in 3 years from now, it might be a worry without JDB, Hunt probably Liddle and Bird. Lawrie is a superstar prop either. I think he might not cut it in 3 years. Might have to recruit a few veterans.
I know there have been rumours about Su'a leaving for a while. Is he definitely leaving? Isn't he a free agent right now? Off contract at the end of next season.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I know there have been rumours about Su'a leaving for a while. Is he definitely leaving? Isn't he a free agent right now? Off contract at the end of next season.
He's off contract. You are right. Doesn't seem to be a huge amount of interest in him.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Probably. We need an elite prop, 5/8 why is Flanagan going after a 19 year old back rower import when we have the developing Couchmans and our best forward juniors now on long contacts. We dont want anyone being a speed bump for them as they should get game time in '25..