Recruitment and Retention for 2024

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Yep but probably want about 1.2 mil. Prefer Luke Thompson for around 750k.
Really? Hass is 23 yrs old and Dally M rookie of the year, Dally M prop of the year, will be 1st chosen for NSW and Australia. If I was still coaching I'd reach into my own pockets to pay him. You can build a premiership winning team around him. Especially when we have some really good young forwards coming through. We would have a 8 cylinder engine room instead of the 3 we have now. Whilst looking forward I would have my backline next year looking like this, 1. Lomax, 2. Sloan, 3 Suli, 4. Tamale and 5 Rav. With an engine room regularly making 40 to 50m a set we could possibly excellerate our climb up the ladder.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Really? Hass is 23 yrs old and Dally M rookie of the year, Dally M prop of the year, will be 1st chosen for NSW and Australia. If I was still coaching I'd reach into my own pockets to pay him. You can build a premiership winning team around him. Especially when we have some really good young forwards coming through. We would have a 8 cylinder engine room instead of the 3 we have now. Whilst looking forward I would have my backline next year looking like this, 1. Lomax, 2. Sloan, 3 Suli, 4. Tamale and 5 Rav. With an engine room regularly making 40 to 50m a set we could possibly excellerate our climb up the ladder.
Sorry😭. Was just thinking about value for money, not ability.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
What's with Loamx at fullback? He played there a few times and was really bad. Last weekend he played there for about 20 min and was just okay.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Yep but probably want about 1.2 mil. Prefer Luke Thompson for around 750k.
So there! After Hunt is gone, we will be one of the few clubs without a marquee player. Like one on around 1 mil a year. There are no top halfbacks, fullbacks, hookers on the market anytime soon. Why not Haas?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
What's with Loamx at fullback? He played there a few times and was really bad. Last weekend he played there for about 20 min and was just okay.
Just putting on my old coaches hat and thinking about how to fit in some of our new top 30 next season especially Tamale and Finou in the backs. Sloan's speed is badly needed on the wing also means he doesn't need as much defensive prowess out there just give him one job stay on the chalk and tackle your opponent. Lomax is most probably in my view one of the best high ball catchers in the competition , can run the ball back more strongly, doesn't miss too many 1 on 1 tackles. I just want to give the youngsters a go if possible next season but I'm not the coach, Flanagan will know if they are ready or not.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Just putting on my old coaches hat and thinking about how to fit in some of our new top 30 next season especially Tamale and Finou in the backs. Sloan's speed is badly needed on the wing also means he doesn't need as much defensive prowess out there just give him one job stay on the chalk and tackle your opponent. Lomax is most probably in my view one of the best high ball catchers in the competition , can run the ball back more strongly, doesn't miss too many 1 on 1 tackles. I just want to give the youngsters a go if possible next season but I'm not the coach, Flanagan will know if they are ready or not.
I agree with you except Sloan on the wing. Fullback or not in the team for me. Imagine Sloan hitting it the next tackle after kicks? He'd get smashed and pushed back.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I agree with you except Sloan on the wing. Fullback or not in the team for me. Imagine Sloan hitting it the next tackle after kicks? He'd get smashed and pushed back.
Agree it's a worry, but don't forget next season I would envisage that in the off season he would be hitting the gym and putting on muscle and size under our new high performance coaches. He will never look like Rav but he could emulate say Saab at Manly with the right training regime. Just my thoughts

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Agree it's a worry, but don't forget next season I would envisage that in the off season he would be hitting the gym and putting on muscle and size under our new high performance coaches. He will never look like Rav but he could emulate say Saab at Manly with the right training regime. Just my thoughts
Hmmmm not a bad idea but in reality, I think he can't put that much more muscle in his frame.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Hmmmm not a bad idea but in reality, I think he can't put that much more muscle in his frame.
If I was coaching him give him to the high performance team in the off season. To me build up the leg muscles he has chicken legs you would be surprised what players can achieve when their spots in 1sts are on the line. Anyway we are only summising, Flanagan is much more a better coach than I ever was.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
If I was coaching him give him to the high performance team in the off season. To me build up the leg muscles he has chicken legs you would be surprised what players can achieve when their spots in 1sts are on the line. Anyway we are only summising, Flanagan is much more a better coach than I ever was.
No, no, no(y)

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Signing Hass would cost a lot but with lots of young players coming in around him, along with JDB and Lomax, build a team around them.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
1. Lomax, 2. Sloan, 3 Suli, 4. Tamale and 5 Rav.
Lomax yes, Sloan on wing no, I keep saying the kid has ball skills how can he use them stuck out there. The other downside is he'd be rag dolled into touch by big outside backs and edge forwards. Sione Finau/Savelio Tamale instead. Turn Suli into an edge forward, reluctant to keep Rava on the wing but the selectors wont move him even tho he has the same defensive disease as Matt Feagai. Flanno is targeting two outside backs so one each to replace Suli and Lomax.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
We should be going for the double, he and Tino. Imagine a future engine room built around that pair.

Haas, Tino, Couchmans, JDB, Lawrie, Tuitavake, Coric/Ackers/Webster/Johnson. .
Have to disagree with that. That would require far too much money, far too much salary cap space, tied up in the engine room.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Bring back Hook , it's getting too hard for our lot , then we can get top players at the end of their careers and offer them shares in a Nursing Home ...... That will work , then Hunt will stay and can be captain of the Nusing home ..... Yep that's easy solved 👌 it .......

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
The moment Haas was announced that he is testing the market those Bullgrubs moved, FFsake, seems they have twice as big a cap as every other club. :mad:

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Has this been posted yet.
Pleased to see the club is now serious about turning round our poor energy levels in second half of games by bringing back fitness guru Dan Lawson and Andrew Gray.

The secret to our golden years was our exceptional fitness. Recall seeing photos of our then fitness guru working out our blokes at Cronulla sand dunes.

Last edited: