Recruitment and Retention for 2024

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Having been involved in our great game for 50 yrs until retirement both as a player and a 2nd grade/ reserve grade coach I can safely say that although money is extremely important to today's 1st grade players the holy grail is being able to hold up your arm and show off that premiership ring. Every man and his dog knows that the Dragons haven't been a competitive top 8 team since 2014 and won't be able to achieve even a shot at the holy grail. Also don't forget if we were permanently based in Kogarah instead of Wollongong like every other employee it would be far more attractive an option employment wise. On another issue we should have more money in the salary if my information is correct that Amone has been deregistered. What a bloody mess we are in.
First step is to try and poach Adam Douhi from the Tigers in the likely event Luai goes a year early.
Then there is the prop issue. The top teams have really good props. Dragons don't but on paper, they aren't that bad. Frank Molo played Origin. Blake Lawrie is a honest front rower who keeps going. Coachman's have big potential.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
First step is to try and poach Adam Douhi from the Tigers in the likely event Luai goes a year early.
Then there is the prop issue. The top teams have really good props. Dragons don't but on paper, they aren't that bad. Frank Molo played Origin. Blake Lawrie is a honest front rower who keeps going. Coachman's have big potential.
The Couchman brothers are not props, our prop rotation looks like being Molo/Lawrie/Sele/Molo. That in my personal opinion is not a competitive top 8 rotation

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Seems Flanagan coming here has changed nothing. I did not like the way he albut put a ultimatum to AFB to give us his answer by Christmas. Flanagan virtually promised us some big fish for '25, that looks a total wipe out now. He has let us down big time :mad:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Was Fonau Blakes rejection payback for out club sacking him back when he played Under 20s. He took a deal that offered 500k less than we tabled, so there had to have been at least one underlying reason why he did that. How ironic too that he is going to a club that Flanagan coached to a premiership .

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
There may now be one silver lining to this, Hunt will wanna leave again. Feck him off and use what we save to go for another big fish when one becomes available.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Have to concentrate on our own baby fish to become Killer Whales.
I can see some early promotion now for some of our baby fish. Ok if no one wants to play for us then we will show em all by producing a crop of outstanding juniors and no fu**er is going to get their grubby hands on them.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
They are talked about as middle forwards or edge forwards.
Keep em there. They will give us good value for many years to come. Promote Joshua Coric into the 30 and give him a crack, is a big unit with some ball skills. There is also another lump of a lad, Jacob Webster. Big wraps on Hamish Stewart too. Who needs expensive imports.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Keep em there. They will give us good value for many years to come. Promote Joshua Coric into the 30 and give him a crack, is a big unit with some ball skills. There is also another lump of a lad, Jacob Webster. Big wraps on Hamish Stewart too. Who needs expensive imports.
Should also look in the ESL.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
It's not the end of the world. The first order of business is to look at the clubs where these blokes we were after signed and see who is coming up in the lower grades behind them. Mam and Dearden are going to be at the Broncos and Cowboys forever. Sullivan and Luai as halves partners at the Tigers? I don't see how that will work at all but not our problem. They much have a few decent young halves almost ready for first grade.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I did mention I believe last year that in the RL community we are a no go zone because of our lack of discipline both on and off the field. Our lack of competitiveness on the field our internal management issues including retention and recruitment and adequate support staff, and last at that time the coach. Anyone who honestly believed that a new coach would magically fix all our issues in my view may have been under the influence of alcohol or a social drug. Players Managers still advise their clients to choose us as a last resort, and I'm not making that up, the proof is now there for everyone to see. We still have that big issue, which has gone on the backburner for the moment, that our club captain doesn't want to be there. No decent player would want to come to our club under those circumstances and let us not forget our new coach is still not highly regarded with the players as a result of his previous indiscretion. As I said another long season with no semi finals football again and now I have grave doubts for 2025 as a result of our failure to recruit anyone

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I did mention I believe last year that in the RL community we are a no go zone because of our lack of discipline both on and off the field. Our lack of competitiveness on the field our internal management issues including retention and recruitment and adequate support staff, and last at that time the coach. Anyone who honestly believed that a new coach would magically fix all our issues in my view may have been under the influence of alcohol or a social drug. Players Managers still advise their clients to choose us as a last resort, and I'm not making that up, the proof is now there for everyone to see. We still have that big issue, which has gone on the backburner for the moment, that our club captain doesn't want to be there. No decent player would want to come to our club under those circumstances and let us not forget our new coach is still not highly regarded with the players as a result of his previous indiscretion. As I said another long season with no semi finals football again and now I have grave doubts for 2025 as a result of our failure to recruit anyone
Looks right but I hope you're wrong.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
our club captain doesn't want to be there. No decent player would want to come to our club under those circumstances
That is perhaps the prime reason why. Flanagan should have seen that and granted him a release when he whinged that he wanted out. Instead he sweet talked him, enticing him to stay as he intended bringing in a couple of big names. None of which eventuated. The first sign of a sook about leaving from Hunt and he should be terminated immediately. We could use the wasted money we pay him to add to our elite player war chest.

Last edited: