Recruitment and Retention for 2024

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

MANLY REJECT DRAGONS’ BID TO SIGN FLYER

The Dragons are reportedly keen to lure Manly winger Christian Tuipulotu to the club, but the Sea Eagles have baulked at releasing him from his contract. The Sydney Morning Herald reported the Dragons are trying to sign Tuipulotu to help bolster their outside backs stocks. The interest in Tuipulotu comes after new recruit Corey Allan looks set to miss the entire 2024 season due to an ACL injury.

The 22-year-old is currently under contract at Manly until at least the end of the 2025 season, meaning the Dragons need permission from the Sea Eagles to recruit him. Tuipulotu has scored 14 tries in 33 NRL games for the Sea Eagles, which includes his one game for the Roosters in his debut season in 2020.

In a breakout season in 2022 Tuipulotu scored 11 tries in 19 games, but could only manage two in 12 games in his first campaign under Anthony Seibold in 2023. However, Manly and Seibold are reportedly not interested in offloading the winger, despite having Jason Saab and Reuben Garrick as their starters on the flank.

Is this bloke a gun? Because if he's just average we have both Feagai's, Finau, Tamale all fighting for one spot. It's up to Flanno and Deano to make the Feagai's tackle. If they can get that part of their game right, they will be ok.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg

The Dragons are reportedly keen to lure Manly winger Christian Tuipulotu to the club, but the Sea Eagles have baulked at releasing him from his contract. The Sydney Morning Herald reported the Dragons are trying to sign Tuipulotu to help bolster their outside backs stocks. The interest in Tuipulotu comes after new recruit Corey Allan looks set to miss the entire 2024 season due to an ACL injury.

The 22-year-old is currently under contract at Manly until at least the end of the 2025 season, meaning the Dragons need permission from the Sea Eagles to recruit him. Tuipulotu has scored 14 tries in 33 NRL games for the Sea Eagles, which includes his one game for the Roosters in his debut season in 2020.

In a breakout season in 2022 Tuipulotu scored 11 tries in 19 games, but could only manage two in 12 games in his first campaign under Anthony Seibold in 2023. However, Manly and Seibold are reportedly not interested in offloading the winger, despite having Jason Saab and Reuben Garrick as their starters on the flank.

Is this bloke a gun? Because if he's just average we have both Feagai's, Finau, Tamale all fighting for one spot. It's up to Flanno and Deano to make the Feagai's tackle. If they can get that part of their game right, they will be ok.
Tuipulotu is one of the fastest runners in the NRL. I think Flanno has finally realised the slowness of the Dragons outside backs is a major problem.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Unfortunately the Feigai brothers don't have the necessary speed that we need

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The whole team needs a rocket 🚀 up their backsides .......
A few pulling their weight. JDB was playing 70~80min in the middle last season. And he hardly goes missing. Lomax was also good. Blocka also pulled his weight and then some.

The rest need a 🚀. None more so than our very unhappy captain. Don't blame him for being unhappy over losing but he was one of the worst! Considering he's captain and easily highest paid.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
A few pulling their weight. JDB was playing 70~80min in the middle last season. And he hardly goes missing. Lomax was also good. Blocka also pulled his weight and then some.

The rest need a 🚀. None more so than our very unhappy captain. Don't blame him for being unhappy over losing but he was one of the worst! Considering he's captain and easily highest paid.
Until we get the 2 big bodied bookends who can consistently make the advantage line and give us momentum going forward in the middle of the park allowing quick play the balls by our dummy half clearing the ruck areas after the 2nd or third hitup, it doesn't matter how good our playmaker is or is not or how slow or fast our backline is. That is just a fact of life and basic football rule 101 is.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Analysis = true

I reckon if they could tackle, might be ok centres but yep, too slow to be good wingers.
Disagree you need players who in today's game have the necessary speed and skillset to create chances. Watch any of our games over the last 3 yrs and watch how slow the ball is getting out to our edges and backline. That is because we don't have the necessary forward momentum. If your backline lacks speed you need to be creative in your attacking structures. Our results over that period of time clearly shows we possess neither.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Until we get the 2 big bodied bookends who can consistently make the advantage line and give us momentum going forward in the middle of the park allowing quick play the balls by our dummy half clearing the ruck areas after the 2nd or third hitup, it doesn't matter how good our playmaker is or is not or how slow or fast our backline is. That is just a fact of life and basic football rule 101 is.
Good point.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Frank Molo was supposed to be that.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Frank Molo was supposed to be that.
He's not big enough. When I speak about big bodied players they are heavy set props 120kg with a motor to match, for example AFB, Junior Palau, Wirimea Grieg, Daniel Safiti. We just don't have those players at the moment, we so desperately need at least 1 of that stature just to give us the go forward momentum that we so badly lack.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
He's not big enough. When I speak about big bodied players they are heavy set props 120kg with a motor to match, for example AFB, Junior Palau, Wirimea Grieg, Daniel Safiti. We just don't have those players at the moment, we so desperately need at least 1 of that stature just to give us the go forward momentum that we so badly lack.
As much as I like Blake Lawrie , he has the wrong build for todays game , need big fast and athletic type players ....... Lawrie"s build he should of been playing in the 80s and 90s .........

Eric

Staff
As much as I like Blake Lawrie , he has the wrong build for todays game , need big fast and athletic type players ....... Lawrie"s build he should of been playing in the 80s and 90s .........
He's such a fan favourite and always puts in 110%, I'm usually scared to criticise him.

He's good for now on a relatively low wage and merely running hard, making metres. That's it. If Josh Kerr or Frank Molo had 20% of Blake's heart, they'd be superstars. But unfortunately they don't have his heart and he doesn't have their bodies.

Eric

Staff
Frank Molo is close to 120kg. I think he's about 115.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
If I was still coaching he would be in my 17. Off the bench, I'm glad someone spoke to him and adjusted his running style. He has a big heart and inspires others, he punches above his weight.

Eric

Staff
112kg another 10kg of muscle and he would have fitted the build I am after, he just doesn't fit the bill, just my views
Okay, he isn't quite 120kg but Tino Fa'asuamaleaui, arguably the best prop in the competition (I'd say Haas is but some people say Fa'asuamaleaui) is 108kgs. So Frank Molo is big enough to be that prop you say the club needs. I don't disagree with you one iota about the Dragons needing that big prop you are talking about. I'm just saying if Frank Molo had half the work ethic and heart of Blake Lawrie, he is big enough to be that prop. But what would I know?