Recruitment and Retention for 2024

Eric

Staff
What a complete stuff up that was ......
It was a crime! The club knew Amone was in big trouble and likely to be absent for a long time when it let Sullivan go.

I'm just wondering, I can't quite remember the timeline. Was Sullivan let go before or after Flanno signed on as coach? If it was Griffin, well we all know his first loyalty was to Ben Hunt. Didn't want any pressure which would justify moving Hunt to his best position, hooker.

But if it was Flanno, that's even worse. Pure nepotism at the expense of the the club for at least a season, possibly more. Maybe Kyle will surprise us but the fact is that until now, when he is 25, the 3 clubs he was at previously didn't rate him.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
It was a crime! The club knew Amone was in big trouble and likely to be absent for a long time when it let Sullivan go.

I'm just wondering, I can't quite remember the timeline. Was Sullivan let go before or after Flanno signed on as coach? If it was Griffin, well we all know his first loyalty was to Ben Hunt. Didn't want any pressure which would justify moving Hunt to his best position, hooker.

But if it was Flanno, that's even worse. Pure nepotism at the expense of the the club for at least a season, possibly more. Maybe Kyle will surprise us but the fact is that until now, when he is 25, the 3 clubs he was at previously didn't rate him.
I think Kyle will go ok , be more of a play maker than Hunt ...... Just my opinion I think Hunt but his two bobs worth in the Sully saga .......

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
16 TA
He will lead our ressie around, doubt he ever plays FG or gets a second session.
So we bring this bloke across to play Ressies and deny a couple of talented halves in King-Togia and Quinn a crack at a stepping stone to top grade. I dont like that our coaches seem to prefer imports to the local product, when the latter have not even been given a crack and the former has never played FG . These two kids will feel worthless, much the same as Zack Herring did, tho I rate this pair over him..

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Analysis = true
I think Kyle will go ok , be more of a play maker than Hunt ...... Just my opinion
Hope so.
I think Hunt but his two bobs worth in the Sully saga .......
Analysis = true
I guess

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
So we bring this bloke across to play Ressies and deny a couple of talented halves in King-Togia and Quinn a crack at a stepping stone to top grade. I dont like that our coaches seem to prefer imports to the local product, when the latter have not even been given a crack and the former has never played FG . These two kids will feel worthless, much the same as Zack Herring did, tho I rate this pair over him..
King-Togia is only 18, isn't he? Throwing him in NRL before he is ready won't do him or the club any good.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Do you know the ratio of kick or ball in hand TA. For instance a majority of Hunts TAs come from his boot, few from his hand. In fact he'd be one of the worst play makers I have come across in 50 years of watching footy. So let us hope Mr Flanagans 'job for the boy' can do a better job with ball in hand.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Was talking about playing him in Ressies where he played a few games last season in between Flegg. Play him or local junior Quinn instead of an unneeded import like Turner was and this new bloke.
That makes sense
Proud The Karate Kid GIF

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Yet another New Corp article all about Flanno, not a shrinking violet our coach. Clear indication he is planning on switching Sloan and Lomax mid game. Says he wants the kid to learn more footy IQ with this switcheroo ploy, which he evidently used successfully with the Sharks. Take a gander at the pic of Sloan, if he hasn't put on at least 5 kilos I will eat something nasty.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
STOP THE PRESSES, Hunt has been removed as our chief play maker, yeehah, with Flanno Jr taking over the role. Best news I've heard in 6 long years. Flanno Sr says Hunt will (chuckle chuckle) ''be let loose to exploit his lethal running game'', with his boy now the ''team problem solver''. This is a massive turn round by our new coach who has said all along that Hunt would retain the main role. Still the best move Flanno has made since joining us. Unfortunately the sooky Qlander still remains our unwelcome captain.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
STOP THE PRESSES, Hunt has been removed as our chief play maker, yeehah, with Flanno Jr taking over the role. Best news I've heard in 6 long years. Flanno says Hunt will (chuckle chuckle) ''be let loose to exploit his lethal running game'' with his boy now the ''team problem solver''. This is a massive turn round by our new coach who has said all along that Hunt would retain the main role. Still the best move Flanno has made since joining us. Unfortunately the sooky Qlander still remains our unwelcome captain.
TBH, I think if someone can not run much but lead the team around and leave Hunt to run the ball and kick, it will be good for Hunt most of all. Kyle Flanno needs to be getting his hands on the ball about 4 times every set. Keep both hands on the ball, run right up to the opposition defence before passing to the front running backrower or out the back to Hunt or Lomax. But running himself if the line opens up as a result of defenders going for the backrower or Hunt/Lomax.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
So now the new coaches plan is becoming more clear. Hunt to play 7 but game management is going to be up to our no.6 Tinkering with a backline to try and ensure we have more grit in defence. In attack swapping player positions in the backline, a la his sharks years in charge. So on face value doing something to ensure that we do not receive our 1st wooden spoon as a joint venture.

Everyone who has been a member of this forum knows I'm a stat's man, so let's concentrate on the coach and his son. Coaching record , overall has coached 185 games , won 102, lost 81 drawn 2, a win ratio of 55%.

His son played 79 games, has scored 12 tries, kicked 139 goals, his best season was in 2020 playing for the roosters. Win/loss ratio: in the last 3 seasons he has played 40 1st grade games and has won 12 a win ratio of 30%, so he is coming from a losing culture, well at least he will feel at home joining our current culture.

Currently we are 81 -1 to win the comp, im a long time punter, we should realistically be 150-1. We are paying $3.25 to win the spoon the Tigers are favourites at $3. Im happy to give the young fellow a go but based on his stat's we may be in a little strife time will tell.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
TBH, I think if someone can not run much but lead the team around and leave Hunt to run the ball and kick, it will be good for Hunt most of all. Kyle Flanno needs to be getting his hands on the ball about 4 times every set. Keep both hands on the ball, run right up to the opposition defence before passing to the front running backrower or out the back to Hunt or Lomax. But running himself if the line opens up as a result of defenders going for the backrower or Hunt/Lomax.
If I was still coaching the thoughts of young Flanagan touching the ball 4 times a set would put a smile on my face and would not cause me to lose any sleep.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Im happy to give the young fellow a go but based on his stat's we may be in a little strife time will tell.
As a ball in hand player he cant be any worse than Hunt, so already we are ahead. His old man now says 'he is a problem solver'. We need one of those as have lacked one for six years.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
As a ball in hand player he cant be any worse than Hunt, so already we are ahead. His old man now says 'he is a problem solver'. We need one of those as have lacked one for six years.
Analysis = true
I think trying to be a game manager takes away from his running game. If Kyle is up to being the game manager, that will be good for Hunt and the team. Big "if" though.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
I think this is massive for young Kyle. Came here probably expecting to play in the halves but then told he will be the dummy half, likely #14 .Now not only does he have a halve role he has unseated the seemingly unmovable to be the prime game manager.
I said way back in a post Id prefer Kyle as our play maker , the other guys a Clayton's number 7 ........

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I said way back in a post Id prefer Kyle as our play maker , the other guys a Clayton's number 7 ........
Hunt isn't a playmaker. He's a ball runner and kicker. Problem is, I don't think Kyle Flanno is a playmaker or a runner or a kicker. But he's getting first chance so good luck to him.