Recruitment and Retention for 2024

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
As an old broken down coach I love players like Lawrie. Punches above his weight every week, but in reality would he be a starting prop in any other team? I doubt it.
He's full of heart for sure. Gets belted over and over and gets up and keeps coming until he's making good metres toward the backend of games. But talent is important even for props. Sadly, Blake lacks it. But starting him on the bench is something I've seen people call for over and over on this forum and in other places. I think it's a good idea. If the Dragons has decent depth up front. Frank Molo should be one starting prop. Maybe Sele should be the other.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
He's full of heart for sure. Gets belted over and over and gets up and keeps coming until he's making good metres toward the backend of games. But talent is important even for props. Sadly, Blake lacks it. But starting him on the bench is something I've seen people call for over and over on this forum and in other places. I think it's a good idea. If the Dragons has decent depth up front. Frank Molo should be one starting prop. Maybe Sele should be the other.
Most importantly he's respected by his team-mates and is now considered a senior member. It would be extremely difficult for the coach to drop him to the bench unless injured or suspended. So it is what it is.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I must have missed him playing for the Cowboys because I'm surprised he'd ask for anything near 900K. Though I think he could be a decent game breaker for us. A forward with a bit of skill but not the hardest worker.
As I indicated in another thread not for me. His work rate, his discipline, his statistics would indicate to me he's at best a $600k a year player not a $900k player and wouldn't make my run on team. Forget this fallacy and forget him and develop and move on with our juniors and reserve grade backrowers

Eric

Staff
I've been saying it forever. It's one of my pet hates. That along with the slow backline. And the terrible defence. And Hunt carrying on like he's the second coming of Reg Gasnier. I rate Lawrie if played right. That means leaving him off in the opening exchanges but giving him longer on the field. Good for him and good for the team, IMO.
Looks like we won’t be reuniting with big Luch after all. Raiders are now front runners for his signature.
Remember we already got RFM. I think he might be a better backrower than Luch.
Most importantly he's respected by his team-mates and is now considered a senior member. It would be extremely difficult for the coach to drop him to the bench unless injured or suspended. So it is what it is.
This is the second time I've kind of disagreed with jodragon40 jodragon40 recently. I must be getting bolder. I think the modern game is 17 on 17. I doubt anyone would blink if Blake started on the bench. And if they did, too bad. It's for the good of the team.

Eric

Staff
As I indicated in another thread not for me. His work rate, his discipline, his statistics would indicate to me he's at best a $600k a year player not a $900k player and wouldn't make my run on team. Forget this fallacy and forget him and develop and move on with our juniors and reserve grade backrowers
Don't forget the signing on RFM. I rate Luch as a player but is he needed at this time? Unless Su'A has one foot out the door, can't see us needing Luch.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I've been saying it forever. It's one of my pet hates. That along with the slow backline. And the terrible defence. And Hunt carrying on like he's the second coming of Reg Gasnier. I rate Lawrie if played right. That means leaving him off in the opening exchanges but giving him longer on the field. Good for him and good for the team, IMO.

Remember we already got RFM. I think he might be a better backrower than Luch.

This is the second time I've kind of disagreed with jodragon40 jodragon40 recently. I must be getting bolder. I think the modern game is 17 on 17. I doubt anyone would blink if Blake started on the bench. And if they did, too bad. It's for the good of the team.
I thought we are in agreeance. I thought I said he would be off the bench if I was still coaching, didn't I?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Luch will always haunt me. Was so high on him coming through. He was damn near a 130kg five-eighth
Wasn't he a talent? But once again there is a big difference between playing back then U19s and 1st grade. So many players over the years have been taunted as the next big thing and for one reason or another fail to live up to those wraps

Eric

Staff
I thought we are in agreeance. I thought I said he would be off the bench if I was still coaching, didn't I?
Yep. I disagreed with the part about him being a team leader who must start. That's why I said, "kind of disagree" not "disagree".

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Yep. I disagreed with the part about him being a team leader who must start. That's why I said, "kind of disagree" not "disagree".
I said he is now considered a senior member of the squad and in the leadership group thats why they won't put him on the bench unfortunately

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I think they won't put him on the bench because....... I don't know. Out dated notion that the best prop needs to start?
I don't know much about Fifita except for a few posters here talking about him positively. If he's a big prop, tough prop, hardworking prop but runs out of steam quicker than Blake, that might force Flannos to start him. So starting props Frank Molo and Fifita. Blake and Sele on the bench.