Recruitment and Retention for 2024

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
You watch on Wednesday when the team is released and there will be NO CHANGES again. Bird will still be there, the guys stinking up our middle defense will still be there. Muhleisen with be too, still slowing down our go forward. No removing the sook either. Be interesting to see if our attitude and therefore performance improves without him.
I understand Hunt has upset a lot of people and I understand he's overrated. But seriously there is no other option for this year.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
You watch on Wednesday when the team is released and there will be NO CHANGES again. Bird will still be there, the guys stinking up our middle defense will still be there. Muhleisen with be too, still slowing down our go forward. No removing the sook either. Be interesting to see if our attitude and therefore performance improves without him.
Team is released this afternoon. If Su'a is back from injury, he'll be included. After Chad Townsend trampled BMM to score:rolleyes:, I think his position has finally become untenable, no matter how well he plays in reserve grade. Agree about Bird. Didn't Flanno make clear Bird was going to have at least the first 4 rounds in the centres? I could have told him before round 1 it was never going to work out. But something we've learned over the past 2 rounds is that Flanno is very stubborn.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
It might improve for one game then back to usual business Dragons Footy ........

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
I understand Hunt has upset a lot of people and I understand he's overrated. But seriously there is no other option for this year.
We ain't winning nothing for at least 3 years my opinion if Hunt wasn't there would be Marschke and Flanno in the halves ....... Really can it be any worst .........

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
We ain't winning nothing for at least 3 years my opinion if Hunt wasn't there would be Marschke and Flanno in the halves ....... Really can it be any worst .........
Then go to our juniors if the club wants to to keep them from being poached. Quinn and Ward must be 20 by now with a heap of junior footy under their belt. From what I have seen of that pair they could not do a worse job than the incumbents. Other teams promote their juniors.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
..plus he is good mates with Bird. But to retain him for that reason is plain wrong and it will come back on Flanagan.
Could say something similar about his son as well even though he has been ok so far. Not the worst.
True. I'm more optimistic so go with 2 years but I seriously don't like the Marschke and Flanno halves pairing. There is middle ground between not winning the comp and winning the spoon.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Could say something similar about his son as well even though he has been ok so far. Not the worst.

True. I'm more optimistic so go with 2 years but I seriously don't like the Marschke and Flanno halves pairing. There is middle ground between not winning the comp and winning the spoon.
Mate Hunt has had 7 years and still cant do it and the way , we are going we could still end up with the spoon , so would I do it it's a big yes from me .......

Last edited:

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Then go to our juniors if the club wants to to keep them from being poached. Quinn and Ward must be 20 by now with a heap of junior footy under their belt. From what I have seen of that pair they could not do a worse job than the incumbents. Other teams promote their juniors.
Agree old mate , but it won't happen and I'll say it again nothing will change until the SOOK is gone .......

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Problem is the severe lack of good halfbacks at present.
Then think outside the square and promote those two juniors I alluded to, Quinn and Ward. Any other coach may take this approach but not Flanagan who is protecting his boy and his mate the disloyal sook. Meanwhile we slip further into the quicksand.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Then think outside the square and promote those two juniors I alluded to, Quinn and Ward. Any other coach may take this approach but not Flanagan who is protecting his boy and his mate the disloyal sook. Meanwhile we slip further into the quicksand.
I don't think either are i the top 30 or on development contracts.

I thought one or both were penciled in to be on development contracts next year. That's why I say, no matter how we feel about Hunt, I think he has to stay this year. Next year hopefully we will have more options but doubt Hunt will be in much demand by then.

RedVictory

SGI Jersey Flegg
Looks like we have two players in our sights for a potential Lomax swap. Young gun Blaize Talagi from Parramatta and big Nelson from storm.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Looks like we have two players in our sights for a potential Lomax swap. Young gun Blaize Talagi from Parramatta and big Nelson from storm.
Read the same thing but very much doubt Parramatta will let Blaize Talagi go. Apparently they have big plans for him.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
If they want to cash in on this premiership window they have then I think it’s a great move for both parties.
Hope you're right but I doubt. Even better would be shopping Bird off rather than Lomax but if it has to be Lomax, I'd like it to be for that young Parra guy.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I wonder if we'll ever find out what went down between Flanno and Lomax. Firstly to talk publicly about getting Zac closer to the ball, then dismiss out of hand Zac's wish to have a go at 5/8, put him on the wing and now ship him off.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

DRAGONS TARGETS AS LOMAX EYES EXIT

St George Illawarra are preparing for Zac Lomax to ask for an immediate release as the parties prepare for crunch talks next week.

Lomax is again expected to request to exit the club immediately. The Dragons’ indicated before round one that they would put any potential talks on his future on hold until after round four. That time will come next week after the Dragons play Manly on Saturday night. No formal meeting has planned for next week as yet however is an anticipation that a call will come from Lomax’s management to the Dragons camp where they could again intimate Lomax’s desire to leave the club.

The Dragons have already told Lomax they have no intention to release him despite Parramatta circling. The door is slightly ajar to cut Lomax adrift at season’s end which would free up about $800,000 off St George Illawarra’s books. Parramatta have the scope to land him now.

The Dragons could be enticed to let Lomax go immediately should a rival club propose a player swap. They wouldn’t hesitate if the Eels would be prepared to part with emerging young gun Blaize Talagi but that would be at long odds from occurring. St George Illawarra are also aware of growing unrest regarding Nelson Asofa-Solomona at the Storm.

They are yet to engage in any talks of a potential player swap until they have some clarity surrounding Lomax. Salary cap space is not a concern for the Dragons – they have plenty of wiggle room – but need to secure some high profile players to fill any potential void. Despite the uncertainty surrounding Lomax’s future, he has proved to be a revelation playing on the wing for the Dragons to start the season and has been easily their best player.

His desire to shift back to centre could come as soon as next week with Jack Bird on notice after a poor showing in recent weeks. His form has been noticed by NSW coach Michael Maguire who has told Lomax that he is on the radar for a potential Origin debut.

I'm a Lomax fan but if he's really that unhappy, better let him go. Just as long as Flanno freaking stops picking Bird in the centres!!!

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
Why would flanno stop picking bird in the centres if lomax leaves. It'll give him more incentive since there's less depth in that area...thats just common sense