Recruitment and Retention for 2024

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
This is interesting. Not a single Dragons recruit gets a mention. Have to say it's fair. RFM has his moments but not close to enough. Luciano came late and was then injured. No one is going to mention good recruitment and Kyle Flanagan in the same sentence.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
This is interesting. Not a single Dragons recruit gets a mention. Have to say it's fair. RFM has his moments but not close to enough. Luciano came late and was then injured. No one is going to mention good recruitment and Kyle Flanagan in the same sentence.
In the original DT version of the story, Luciano got a mention but not due to what he has done but due to what they feel he is capable of doing.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
In the original DT version of the story, Luciano got a mention but not due to what he has done but due to what they feel he is capable of doing.
Why do our coaches keep going after players who have already been at multiple clubs rather than invest in youth? It makes no sense. RFM is at his 3rd club. Leilua also at his 3rd. Sele at his 3rd (after going back and forward). Kyle Flanagan at his 4th club!

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Why do our coaches keep going after players who have already been at multiple clubs rather than invest in youth? It makes no sense. RFM is at his 3rd club. Leilua also at his 3rd. Sele at his 3rd (after going back and forward). Kyle Flanagan at his 4th club!
Katoa for the Dolphins, the 19 year-old halfback is killing it. Huge wraps on him. Imagine if the club didn't re-sign Hunt and instead invested the money in Katoa. Last year as an understudy to Hunt and halfback this year.

Eric

Staff
Katoa for the Dolphins, the 19 year-old halfback is killing it. Huge wraps on him. Imagine if the club didn't re-sign Hunt and instead invested the money in Katoa. Last year as an understudy to Hunt and halfback this year.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but club has been running around, recruiting every fringe first grader on the market for a long time now.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Well at least we aren't going for Josh Schuster. I was picking up my brother from the GC Airport and I am sure he was there with another male. I take it that may have been his manager. I would say he is on his way to dinner with Des Hasler.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Well at least we aren't going for Josh Schuster. I was picking up my brother from the GC Airport and I am sure he was there with another male. I take it that may have been his manager. I would say he is on his way to dinner with Des Hasler.
If he could get his weight down a lot, might turn out to be a good 5/8. Something we are definitely lacking.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
TBH, I thought he would match our team well. Compliment Hunts running game with Schuster's playmaking. But yeah, definitely would need to lose a lot of weight and might not be able to do that.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
Time is a factor that our recruitment team doesn't appreciate in their work. They gave ample time to other clubs to pitch Turuva & AFB because they wanted to be 'smart' with their offers which resulted in both players signing elsewhere. Ditto is happening with Su'a, with each passing week, we're allowing other teams to approach Su'a.

We could've blown all these teams out of the water with an offer that would've grabbed the players attention immediately but we decided to be 'smart' & put in ridiculous clauses or took too long to make an offer.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
St George Illawarra have entered the multimillion-dollar race to sign David Fifita as Penrith make a formal offer to secure the blockbusting forward from the Gold Coast Titans.
Dragons coach Shane Flanagan will meet with Fifita and his agent before the end of the week to try to entice the State of Origin forward to the club.

Having missed out on some big-name signings, the Dragons are cashed up and also have Zac Lomax’s $850,000 available in their salary cap next year when he leaves to join Parramatta, as well as having other players off contract.

This masthead understands the Dragons will be in a position to offer more than the $850,000 a year Penrith has thrown at Fifita as part of a multi-year deal after his secret meeting with Panthers coach Ivan Cleary in Sydney on Sunday.

Saints are already strong on the edges with Luciano Leilua and Jaydn Su’A, but Flanagan believes there is a role for all three in his top 17.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
St George Illawarra have entered the multimillion-dollar race to sign David Fifita as Penrith make a formal offer to secure the blockbusting forward from the Gold Coast Titans.
Dragons coach Shane Flanagan will meet with Fifita and his agent before the end of the week to try to entice the State of Origin forward to the club.

Having missed out on some big-name signings, the Dragons are cashed up and also have Zac Lomax’s $850,000 available in their salary cap next year when he leaves to join Parramatta, as well as having other players off contract.

This masthead understands the Dragons will be in a position to offer more than the $850,000 a year Penrith has thrown at Fifita as part of a multi-year deal after his secret meeting with Panthers coach Ivan Cleary in Sydney on Sunday.

Saints are already strong on the edges with Luciano Leilua and Jaydn Su’A, but Flanagan believes there is a role for all three in his top 17.

Not sure how I feel about this. If he is signed it will obviously mean the end at the club for Su'A. Is probably a better player but will cost much more than Su'A.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Sydney Rorters also tabled him an offer. 825k a season on the books + 1 mil for 3 years after retirement off the books.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

What people who have never played the game or been in the administration side of the game need to understand that although money is a prime objective for any 1st grade player. Being able to play at a club and in a team that can perhaps deliver them the holy grail , a premiership winning ring is also extremely important to them. Hence players signing for these clubs that can or may deliver the second option.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
What people who have never played the game or been in the administration side of the game need to understand that although money is a prime objective for any 1st grade player. Being able to play at a club and in a team that can perhaps deliver them the holy grail , a premiership winning ring is also extremely important to them. Hence players signing for these clubs that can or may deliver the second option.
Unfortunately that leaves us behind the 8 ball. But not as if we are the first club to face this. Wests Tigers, Parramatta, Canterbury have all faced it. Parramatta in particular might have missed out on a premiership and seem to be on the way down but they certain turned around their wooden spoons or near wooden spoons.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Does Fifita's girlfriend still play for the Dragons NRLW team?